flying with prescription meds

read52

On the Ask a question site, people were giving all kinds of info about flying with prescription meds. I don't know what is correct but figured the right answer would be here. My husband takes about 10 meds including 3 controlled meds for seizures. If a person is flying what is the correct way to pack meds? In their original bottles? In a weekly plastic thing?

I pack each day's meds in a snack size baggy. I take three sets -- one set in my purse, one in my carryon and one in checked luggage. I heard you should take the original prescription bottles but except for one particular med I always use the baggies.

I take my meds in a 7 day container. (and I take an extra weeks worth) Any meds like pain/controlled substance etc should be in original bottle, I also take a typed list of my meds with the RX number and my Doctors phone number on it, so if there is any question he could be called. I keep all medication in a square see thru semi hard cosmetic bag (get it at walmart) I have never had a problem I keep my husbands meds in the same bag.

Whenever possible take your meds in their original containers with the prescription on it. You can go to your pharmacy and have them re-package your meds into a smaller bottle with enough for the length of your cruise, and put a copy of the prescription on it, if you happen to usually have those huge 3-month supply bottles.

This would be particularly important with the "controlled substances" meds.

If that really is not possible and you have the meds in one of those weekly pillbox things, then get copies of your prescriptions (again from the pharmacy) and ask them to describe the pill on each prescription description (i.e., "purple 6-sided pill") -- so that if the TSA folks get particularly curious, they can match the pill with the prescription. Usually the prescription will have the doctor's name/phone number on it; if not, make sure you have that available too.

Pack all the meds in a clear plastic zip bag (doesn't have to be the quart sized, if you need larger...but the zip just makes the bag flatter, easier to see through. Be prepared to show the bag and the prescriptions when / if asked.

Generally what happens is the TSA folks will ask if you have meds to declare, you wave the bag at them and they'll pass you through without further questioning. But I have been stopped and have had each prescription carefully examined, along with the meds being compared, etc. So better to be safe than sorry. Nothing more frustrating than being held up for a long time trying to explain what you've got to a suspicious TSA "cop", while your plane is taxi-ing away from the gate!

And carry the meds with you in your carry-on. Don't trust them in your checked luggage. If the luggage is delayed, you don't have them. If the luggage is stopped, or lost, so are they. I don't know the reason why you'd split them into three sets, like someone suggested...but if that make syou more comfortable, then you'd need 3 sets of prescriptions, and everything labelled accordingly.

By the way, meds don't "count" as a carry-on, or "count" as "one quart zip bag of liquids or gels". They're extra, and you can have that other stuff too.

My husband and I bought a machine that basically seals the pills into a little packet. One strip is for a week. He needs one for morning and one for evening. But I also carry a few pills in a container in my purse for times when he has a seizure. We always carry our pills in our carry on.

On the Ask a question site, people were giving all kinds of info about flying with prescription meds. I don't know what is correct but figured the right answer would be here. My husband takes about 10 meds including 3 controlled meds for seizures. If a person is flying what is the correct way to pack meds? In their original bottles? In a weekly plastic thing?

Attached is the Link to the TSA link that may help to clarify things for you that explains the specifics of traveling with medications. http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/specialneeds/editorial_1059.shtm

Whenever possible take your meds in their original containers with the prescription on it. You can go to your pharmacy and have them re-package your meds into a smaller bottle with enough for the length of your cruise

This would be particularly important with the "controlled substances" meds.

Pack all the meds in a clear plastic zip bag (doesn't have to be the quart sized, if you need larger...but the zip just makes the bag flatter, easier to see through. Be prepared to show the bag and the prescriptions when / if asked.

And carry the meds with you in your carry-on.

This is what I do. I have all 12-14 bottles in a gallon-size zip-lock baggie and lay it in the top of my roll-aboard. So far, so good (knock on wood!)

It is always best to carry meds in the original labled bottles or vials. However as a former frequent flyer and as a person who used to cross the CDN/US border at least once a week in either direction (sometimes twice) I have never had a problem with meds in the weekly dispenser packages. If I was flying out of North America I might have a different view on this.

• 5 months later...

My husband has just been diagnosed and will need to self catharterise and will need to carry approx 48 of these when we cruise. Will we be able to take these as excess baggage? Really not sure of the implications of coming from Uk to Caribbean.

We are determined that this will not stop our enjoyment, but at the moment everything is rather a shock and not sure how to proceed. Can anybody help with packaging methods?

I don't know what the UK carry-on and luggage rules are, but for the U.S., medical equipment is not counted as one of your carry-ons. So, if you have a carry-on satchel full of catheters, you can also have your one carry-on bag and one personal bag (i.e. purse, laptop). The bag with medical items in it does have to still fit the carry-on bag size requirements (otherwise it wouldn't fit in the overhead bin). The bag does also have to be screened by security, of course. The bag needs to be just medical supplies; it doesn't count as an additional bag for medical purposes if you also have some clothes, books, iPod, etc. in it.

Do remember to bring extras, just in case!!

Use to fly internationally across 5 continents 26 weeks out the year.

I have always been told by the airlines that all medications are be transported in their original containers that are marked with the full RX label. I also carried a letter from my Doctor documenting the general need for these medications.

My husband has just been diagnosed and will need to self catharterise and will need to carry approx 48 of these when we cruise. Will we be able to take these as excess baggage? Really not sure of the implications of coming from Uk to Caribbean.

We are determined that this will not stop our enjoyment, but at the moment everything is rather a shock and not sure how to proceed. Can anybody help with packaging methods?

No problem. We take my mother's bed pads, straight catheters (5/day), lubricant, baby wipes, medications, bowel care supplies, etc. as her carry-on in one bag. I can put some in mine if needed, but usually we don't need to do that. Always take a few extra days worth, just in case too. Sometimes if we don't want to haul extra disposable bed pads back home we donate them to the ship's medical center, and the staff there are always glad to take them.

The bag is nearly empty when we head home, so we either fold it and put it in a large suitcase, or fill it with our dirty clothing and check it, and just put a small amount of supplies to get us home (with her meds) in her wheelchair backpack.

Thanks so much for all your help and support. It all sounds far more "do-able" now. First instincts were that we had to cancel, and then you start to think more logically and realise that there are so many more people that are far worse off and still cope with enjoying life. :o

Again, many thanks.

We take my mother's bed pads, straight catheters (5/day), lubricant, baby wipes, medications, bowel care supplies, etc. as her carry-on in one bag.

You do know that doesn't count as her one carry-on bag, right? It is in the ACAA (Air Carrier Access Act - the disabilities regulations for airlines). She can bring a regular carry-on bag(s) as per your airline's rules (usually one carry-on and one personal bag like a purse) as well as her medical supplies.

Archived