disembarking in vancouver question

#1survivorfan

I will be disembarking in Vancouver (Canada Place) and have a car rented to be picked up at the Pan Pacific Hotel. Already have my reservation for the 11:00 a.m. ferry to Vancouver Island. My questions are:

How far is the Pan Pacific Hotel from where Princess disembarks?

How early should I request to disembark in order to pick up the car and make it to the 11:00 a.m. ferry? We are departing at Tsawwassen.

Have I cut this too close?

Princess uses the Canada Place pier in Vancouver. Pan Pacific hotel is right at/in Canada Place - even has a direct elevator down to the pier.

I'd do "self disembark" (carry your own bags off) to get off ASAP with the first people off the ship. When disembarkation starts will depend on ship is cleared, possibly around 9 a.m.

Tsawwassen is 24 miles/38 klicks away, around 40 minutes. You should be fine.

On the advice of our daughter, who lives on Vancouver Island we will book our ferry on the sailing after the one we think we can "make'. Her reasoning is if you get there early enough for the first sailing and there's room you can board. If you are late for your sailing and you need to arrive 1/2 hour prior, and if the next sailing is booked you could have a long wait. She's had lots of naps waiting for ferries. If you are travelling in low seaon and mid week this should not be an issue.

Another condsideration is the Horseshoe Bay terminal is much closer to downtown Vancouver (north). If you hit any slow traffic at all pier to Tawassen will take more than 40 min. We haven't driven in Vancouver alot, but traffic always seems to be heavy. Horseshoe Bay ferries do not go to Victoria but near Nanaimo, about 2hrs north of Victoria. This route works for us as we are travelling over the island to Tofino.

If our daughter and her husband are flying from Vancouver they use Tawassen, if they are going into the city they use Horseshoe Bay.

Depends on your plans for Vancouver Island. It is a beautiful relaxing island, we love it all

I will be disembarking in Vancouver (Canada Place) and have a car rented to be picked up at the Pan Pacific Hotel. Already have my reservation for the 11:00 a.m. ferry to Vancouver Island. My questions are:

How early should I request to disembark in order to pick up the car and make it to the 11:00 a.m. ferry? We are departing at Tsawwassen.

You don't request a disembarkation time - you are assigned one. On 6/6/09, we were assigned a 10:00 time slot. I tried to get that moved up but were told that Princess does not assign them - Canadian customs does based on info you provide when you embark. Our ship was cleared at 7:35 and that's when they started allowing the first group to go thru. The ones who walk off the ship with all their own luggage are the first to be let off. Then, it looked as if they go by the time of airline reservations and where they are (YVR or Seattle). Since our flight was the next day out of YVR & we had not pre-booked a post-cruise tour thru Princess, we were in the last group to be let off the ship.

You don't request a disembarkation time - you are assigned one. On 6/6/09, we were assigned a 10:00 time slot. I tried to get that moved up but were told that Princess does not assign them - Canadian customs does based on info you provide when you embark. Our ship was cleared at 7:35 and that's when they started allowing the first group to go thru. The ones who walk off the ship with all their own luggage are the first to be let off. Then, it looked as if they go by the time of airline reservations and where they are (YVR or Seattle). Since our flight was the next day out of YVR & we had not pre-booked a post-cruise tour thru Princess, we were in the last group to be let off the ship.

The information that you provide when you embark is actually presented to US customs, and they do not provide that info to CDN customs. Not sure where you got that info, but it is incorrect. CDN customs has no bearing on when you disembark unless you are a US direct or Direct to Bus passenger - hence taking a different route off the ship.

What ship are you disembarking from? This will allow us to tell you how many ships are are Canada Place that morning and some idea as to how long it will take you to get your luggage and thru customs. Your 11 am ferry may be an hour early but we can give you a better idea when we know what ship you are on. Disembarkation times are assigned by the pax services people according to peoples travel/flight plans...with you going to Victoria they may just treat you as a local and you may be among the last off the ship. If you can handle all of your own luggage Princess will allow you to self-disembark and you will be among the first off the ship and your 11 am sailing will be doable with your reservation.

In between your trip, you will recieved a paper to fill out regarding about your disembarking plan. Then before the trip end, you will recieved a disembarking package including your color luggage tags and each tags color will have number 1-3 assigned to it. Now you have to look at the disembarking chart (detached) to match color and number to get the waiting point and time of disembark. Self-disembarking is the Priority and first but you can make it a little bit earlier by......

Get Airline to fly you home from YVR at 11:00am then fill out that itinerary instead.

but you can make it a little bit earlier by......

Get Airline to fly you home from YVR at 11:00am then fill out that itinerary instead.

A fib to be sure...but it will work...just glad it came from someone elses fingers and not mine.;)

Archived