?Upgrades?

Andee

In the next day or so we are going to book the Nov 5 Regatta Barcelona to Lisbon cruise. We are in the process of getting price quotes from a number of travel agencies.

At this point, we are being told that there are no inside cabins or porthole cabins left. We are interested in a balcony cabin, of which there are very few left. If we book a balcony guarantee, what are the chances that we will get an upgrade? We've always selected a specific cabin, so this would be new to us.

Thanks!

Andee-

I don't believe that Oceania offers "Balcony Guarantees", so, it won't be an issue.

Just in case you know something I don't know, however, most cruise lines offer upgrades to repeat passengers first. Then it all boils down to availability and how heavily (or lightly) your cruise is booked.

Funny story, we were once upgraded on a Holland America cruise because ours was the only room that had been booked in "our stewards" group of rooms! We got a (much much) nicer room, and, he was able to be reassigned. Everybody was a winner!

Enjoy your trip!

Jan-

I hope I'm not stepping on any toes here (and perhaps you are the exception), but it has been my experience that the internet age has ended the era of the full service travel agent.

For example, it also "used to be" that agents who booked more business for a cruise line was able to offer lower rates on that cruise line. THIS IS NO LONGER TRUE!

Discounted price offers are eratic and sporadic, and (it seems to the outsider) offered to agencys at the whim of the cruise line "Reps".

I imagine that it has something to do with the fact that an agent working out of a corner of their bedroom in West Hell can now (thanks to the magic of the net) theoretically do as much business as an agency on the main concourse of Rockefeller Center!

Another hard knock for the Travel Agent: the commission structures have changed so drastically that most people cannot afford to remain in the field if it is their primary source of income. The "best" people bailed after the airline commission change.

Personally speaking, we weren't upgraded any more often when we travelled through an agent. Of course, we didnt have the money or the time to travel as much back then, so, we weren't in as many "repeater clubs".

Anyway, that's the way it worked for us-

Best Regards-

Stan & Jim

Had to weigh in on this one. We use the services of a TA becuase of her experience, but we have gotten some wonderful side benefits. Most recently we traveled on the QM2 and were upgraded from a balcony cabin to a Queen's Grill suite, and I am sure that never would have happened without using our TA. In addition, her consolidator got us $400 in onboard credit which paid for all our shore excursions, something that Cunard was not offering. And this was our first cruise on Cunard, but our 9th trip using this TA. I might also add that last year when our Portugal trip was canceled at the last minute after the Madrid train bombing, our TA got everything squared away and lined up a new trip so our losses were nearly zero and we had a great vacation. Bet Travelocity would have left us with a tough luck, take it up with the tour company attitude.

Phoenix Cruiser..You are correct..in addition if an agent specializes in one or two cruise lines (especially the smaller ones) they are much more liable to get you "perks" and even discounts and they know the specials when they just happen..(or even before they are announced) Stan and Jim, I am not sure where you got your info but a lot of it is incorrect..I say try a good agent you may find out you are happy with the extras you get..

Jan

Archived