afternoon tea

sparkyrmc

You sit wherever you want. If there are empty chairs at your table, fellow passengers may ask to join you. Keep in mind that it is very popular and you may have to wait for a table/chair unless you get there fairly close to starting time. On my last TA in May I found that arriving half an hour after "starting" time opened up a lot of tables, as people have so much else to do on board. And during port days--on a cruise, of course--the room was practically empty.

Thank you for the very helpful information. I'm looking forward to tea on the high seas.

I believe that it is scone, butter, jam and then cream

Scone, then jam, then cream. From a purist perspective, the scones should be plain, not fruit, and butter should not be served.

Oh dear, is there a scone code and scone police? :eek:

Of course there are! Surely you are aware that scones with butter may only be eaten when wearing a self-tied bow tie and a Hawaiian shirt on Thursdays during months with an "R" in the name.

J

Indeed, but only when I have time off from patrolling the Queens Room hunting for jeans, shorts, and other unsuitable attire. Anyone not adhering to the Scone Code of Practice gets them confiscated. By me:).

Mary

Indeed, but only when I have time off from patrolling the Queens Room hunting for jeans, shorts, and other unsuitable attire. Anyone not adhering to the Scone Code of Practice gets them confiscated. By me:).

Mary

That's when the pareo will come into its own Mary - it will skim over any lumps and bumps caused by the partaking of cream teas, or indeed will hide those confiscated scones as you smuggle them out. (The cream could be a bit messy though) :D

Originally Posted by Boytjie viewpost.gif

Of course there are! Surely you are aware that scones with butter may only be eaten when wearing a self-tied bow tie and a Hawaiian shirt on Thursdays during months with an "R" in the name.

J

Mary

Well, I never... there were no such codes where I grew up under the African sun. :D

Still smarting from January, I see. Are you ever going to move past your disappointment or have you made it your mission to keep posting here with negative impressions (in fact, the same ones, over and over...)? I hope it is helping you, as it is likely not helping anyone else. And a pareo would seem to qualify as a coverup, no? Hence making it acceptable, if not ideal, indoor attire? From your comments over the last six months, it seems rather unlikely you would ever cruise/cross with Cunard again, so why keep recycling your complaints? Lastly, you were on a Caribbean Cruise. Why were you surprised that 50% of the tea party looked as if they had come from the pool? It's a 30-45 minute nibble and sip - seems reasonable that many did not feel compelled to return to cabin and put on a smart outfit and makeup. As long as a coverup was in place, and tops for all, of course, no one was in violation of the dress code. We know the whole of it struck you as downscale, but why keep harping on it?

It's called an opinion and I hardly flood the forum with posts. I did not start the thread, just posted a tongue in cheek response to another member. Maybe I would not have been so disappointed if I had not believed glowing reports from posters like you:rolleyes: Wether I choose to sail with Cunard in the future, or not, I shall continue to post if I feel the inclination. I actually did go back to change (and so did another 50%). Since when were you moderator of all things Cunard anyway:confused:

BTW my favourite cakes were the strawberry tartlets:p

And scones and braais don't go together. :eek:

I don't know so much. Get a big enough scone and stick a big chunk of boerewors in it, slather it in Mrs Ball's Chutney and you're well on your way!

J

[quote name='moniquet']It's called an opinion and I hardly flood the forum with posts. I did not start the thread, just posted a tongue in cheek response to another member. Maybe I would not have been so disappointed if I had not[B] believed glowing reports from posters like you[/B]:rolleyes: Wether I choose to sail with Cunard in the future, or not, I shall continue to post if I feel the inclination. I actually did go back to change (and so did another 50%). Since when were you moderator of all things Cunard anyway:confused:

BTW my favourite cakes were the strawberry tartlets:p[/quote]

And that should teach you to put any stock in the opinions of anonymous posters on message boards.:D Really, I do think you want to give it another go, don't you? I promise, you'll like it better the next time!;)

[quote name='Cruachan']I don't know so much. Get a big enough scone and stick a big chunk of boerewors in it, slather it in Mrs Ball's Chutney and you're well on your way!

J[/quote]

Oh no, rather a nice big vetkoek than a scone!!

[quote name='sparkyrmc']thank goodness for your input,i have checked with the captain and he said if i can find a victim i mean volunteer to take my place rowing, he will gladly release me from my chains.[/quote]

Happy to be of assistance. Just make sure that no money changes hands. Bribery is so... inelegant! :D

J

[quote name='SeaMatesNYC']And that should teach you to put any stock in the opinions of anonymous posters on message boards.:D Really, I do think you want to give it another go, don't you? I promise, you'll like it better the next time!;)[/quote]

I really did enjoy the experience:) Currently looking at an offer on QV for next years leg San Francisco to New Zealand. Just catching up with views about QV on the boards:eek:;)

[quote name='Cruachan']Damnit man - I wish I hadn't read this one so early in the morning - I'm starving now!!!

J[/quote]

Do I hear the call of a TESCO breakfast James?
A weight-watching Gari.

James, speaking of S. African food, we were, were we not? What is the name of that dish they do in a big earthenware pot it's full of a kind of baked fruit and meal if memory serves. S.A. housewives think the world of their ?????? pot.
It's driving me mad that I can't think of it and I've no idea how to google it without a clue as to the name. I had it in Cape Town and Durban long long ago. Maybe Boytje knows what I'm talking about or maybe I'm having one of my funny turns.............
A Puzzled Gari

[quote name='garigoun']Do I hear the call of a TESCO breakfast James?
A weight-watching Gari.[/quote]

Too late ma man - had one yesterday. It'll just have to be a university lunch instead (oh yummy - NOT!)

J

[quote name='garigoun']James, speaking of S. African food, we were, were we not? What is the name of that dish they do in a big earthenware pot it's full of a kind of baked fruit and meal if memory serves. S.A. housewives think the world of their ?????? pot.
It's driving me mad that I can't think of it and I've no idea how to google it without a clue as to the name. I had it in Cape Town and Durban long long ago. Maybe Boytje knows what I'm talking about or maybe I'm having one of my funny turns.............
A Puzzled Gari[/quote]

[I][COLOR=blue]Potjie[/COLOR][/I]

Archived