Rome Help

I am sailing in August on RCI. I am arriving one day early and staying one day longer. There are three things in Rome I am really interested in seeing: the Vatican, the Colleseum and the Spanish Steps. On disembarkement day, there is a tour called St. Peter's Basilica, Colosseum, and FCO Airport Transfer--CV92. I have heard that I would not really see much of each of these things by taking this tour. Has anyone taken the tour that can give me suggestions, or would it be better to rent a car on my own and tour the three places? If so, has anyone rented a car in Rome that can give me help there? I am staying at the Hilton in the Rome Airport on my last day since my flight is very early the next morning. I have not decided on a hotel on the day prior to the cruise. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!!

You don't need to rent a car, all are very easy to walk/bus to. Driving in Rome is a hair raising experience and I would not suggest it.

Go check in to your hotel, drop off bags and take the train into the city. Much easier. What day of the week is your last day, many things are closed on certain days so you might want to check them out, google the website for the Vatican, and such.

The very last thing I would do in Rome is rent a car and drive in the city ;) We spent 3 days there prior to our cruise and I believe you have to grow up in Rome to know how to drive there, it's crazy!

Your day prior, stay in the city close to what you wand to see and walk or take either a taxi or bus.

After your cruise, get to the hotel however you can get there, stow your luggage and either take a tour or taxi into the city. It's quite walkable, there are buses and taxis available most everywhere. Find a tabacchi (sp) stand and get yourself a good walking map of the city. Or find a tour that can take you to most of the places you want to visit, you do have a fairly ambitious plan for one day.

If you visit the ports of call board here, there is a wealth of information on Rome. We had a great time there, part of the fun was getting a bit lost and seeing things we hadn't planned on. We entered every church we passed, the most beautiful art is in every church. We did go to Borghese Gallery, absolutely fantastic. The Forum and Colloseum are next to each other. The Vatican we missed our tour group as the crowd was so huge, but we did get to see the Pope instead :)

One day is never enough for Rome, you could spend a month and barely scratch the surface. We just look at it as an excuse to return!

Archived