Cave tubing - rats in the water?

NHcopwife

I had a friend who went cave tubing and swore there were rats in the water. I am sure there are fish and other sea creature type animals but RATS scare me and now I am not sure I want to go.

We booked with Major Tom but I am hesitant to go now that I heard that.

Any experiences with rats or rodents in the caves/and water when you have gone?

Thanks!

Were these in the water or along the edge (especially the snake)?

When i floated out of one of the caves, i had this HUGE green grasshopper hitching a ride on my knee.

The rest we saw during the walk to the caves.

Really it's perfectly safe, our guide would make sure the critters weren't gonna get us.

Just don't look in the water!

A few weeks ago I saw what I thought was leaves in our pool. When I got closer I saw that it was a drowned rat. Now I am on the lookout for snakes and rats.

I have heard that in the cave tubing there are rats.

I hate to share the reason we've never done cave tubing with you but I will anyways. My husband told me he saw something on TV about people picking up a parasite through their bottom end in the water. I don't want to start a false rumor since I didn't actually see it, but I don't think he'd make it up. Grossed me out enough to say no way. If anyone else has ever heard this please let me know

For the few whining stories you end up hearing about rats, parasites or whatever, you'll find 1000's of others that had an absolute wonderful time...like me:D If you're going to worry about seeing or catching something, then do yourself a favor and save your $$.

BTW - People have died during cave tubing too, so you probably really shouldn't go:cool:

We've tubed twice and never saw any thing bigger than a lizard. HOWEVER, there is a nice 45 minute walk through the jungle, so anything is possible.

Our last trip almost ended in disaster. My brother is highly allergic to fireants, but left his epi-pen on the boat. Everyone in our group except him got bitten by them. Some true divine intervention there. So, if you have any allergies, make sure that you are prepared. There are no local hospitals or urgent care's out there in the middle of nowhere.

I think that it is part of the fun to know that you could run into bats, snakes and spiders. Our guide on one of our tours was always acting like he had found a spider or bug and was going to throw it on the girls.

We did it last June (2008) and I did see something that looked like a rat. I don't remember what the guide called it, but when I looked it up online, back on the ship, it was a nutria.

Still a rodent, but not quite the same thing. Perhaps that is what your friends saw?

• 2 weeks later...

Along the walk to the cave tubing site, at the bottom of the big hill, you will have to pass through the fire swamp. There are 3 terrors to fear in the fire swamp. First, the flame spurts-no problem. There's a popping sound that precedes them. Second, the lightning sand - Easy to avoid. Just don't be first in line. Third, R.O.U.S's (rodents of unusual size) and I don't think those actually exist.

Archived