Transporting Alaskan knives home?

Look2Sea

bought 3 ulu knives this week. Just packed them in my luggage and checked them in. No problem.

We were told by many people to make sure and buy only the ulu knives made in Alaska and to avoid the cheaper ones made in China. Look on the back of the box and it will say where it was made.

We brought 6 ulu knives back home in checked luggage, even declared them to both Canadian and U.S. customs, and had no problem.

However, I like the exact opposite: get the cheap ones. I just like to chop onions and cut pizza with them; the whole "made in USA" thing does nothing for me. The whole "Alaskan-made is more reliable" argument breaks down when I can get 5 cheap ulu knives for the same price as one Alaskan-made.

The Destination Alaska coupon book (handed out pre-boarding in the cruise terminal) has Ulu Factory sets, the very nice ones, offered for just under $20 per set, limit 2, at the Tongass shops in Ketchikan. That's an offer I would not (and did not) pass by. :)

My ulu is from the Ulu Factory, and I use it often, for much more than onions and pizza... the lightweight imports just wouldn't work for the use I give it. The bowl is deep, the block is heavy, and the knife sharpens easily. I purchased one the first trip we made to Alaska in 2005, and it's held up very well.

I have both shipped and checked them in luggage. No problem, either way. I love giving them for wedding shower gifts.

Archived