Whale Watching with 2 kids

BOATCAT66

We are going on the Carnival Spirit in Aug to Alaska. We are trying to decide on which tour company to go with. Rumrunner or Weatherpermittingalaska. About the same price and time. We are taking our 2 grandchildren ages 2 and 4. Help me decide.

Frankly this may not be the best tour choice for those ages. The two year old isn't even going to know what to look for and will be missing most of the action, because you have to be right on it when it happens. The 4 year old will probably get bored quick with the "usual" sights of blows, tails and backs- do NOT expect anything more.

Add to that, your responsibility in keeping them occupied and distracting you from viewing. This is a fixed tour with no way out.

I've been on well over a hundred whale watches. I've seen plenty of sorry folks with small children who were just plan miserable and very few who made it without melt downs during the trip.

We are taking our 2 ds ages 5 & 9 whale watching in Alaska - 7/11 Serenade of the seas.

We opted to take a smaller private tour rather than a larger boat. We have booked with a private tour operater in Icy Strait Point who only takes 6 passengers at a time. Since we are a group of 4 it is possible that we will be the only ones on this excursion. I felt more comfortable booking this as I feel the boys would do much better with personal attention and the tour operator could cater it more to our specific needs and interests. Plus - IF they were having an off day we would not be infringing upon a large group of paying passengers - especially if we do happen to be the only passengers.

Of course my boys are a little older than your grandsons and are both really excited about the prospect of seeing whales. You know the children's tempermant and attention levels the best - so let that be the determining factor.

My kids are older now (9 and 11) but I remember well when they were 2 and 4 -- you spend so much time making sure they are safe and happy that you don't get much time to enjoy things yourself. Even adult conversations at dinner were difficult then.

Most whale watching tours are 2-3 hours or more, that's a long time for those ages. If they become unhappy, you'll be stuck or if private will lose your money and return early.

If your ratio is 4 adults to the 2 small children you could spell each other so that you'd be able to move around the boat and see the action more. If you are 2 on 2, I would pass on this tour.

We have never done ship tours until now when they are finally old enough. I never found excursions that were suitable for us when they were toddlers, it's a fun but exhausting stage of child development.:eek:

Just did 2 whale watching tours in Alaska...one on a boat with 23 passengers, the other with 6. Neither had a child younger than I would say 8 yrs. old.

Most people were taking photos...alot had professional cameras, some with tripods/monopods too. There really wasn't room for 2 toddlers to be running around and possible ruining peoples shots.

Frankly, If I was you, I'd be too worried about them leaning over the side and running around the boat that I'd never be able to enjoy myself. I think this is an activity for when they're older. They'll get bored with this pretty fast, and plus on the water, it can be quite chilly, and maybe even rainy. Nothing like 2 wet, tired, and miserable, kids to ruin your day.

Thanks for your advice. We have a boat in Texas and the kids are use to being on a boat. Also, we are concidering a private tour boat only. Rumrunner or Weatherpermittingalaska any advice on which one?

BoatCat66-I'm with you, my kids are used to boats and love them. I grew up going fishing from a very young age and whale watching would be much more exciting than a quiet lake. I don't think that a 2 to 3 hour trip is too long for a 4 year old. Bring the Leapster along just in case but I don't really think that you'll need it. Additionally, it is a great learning experience for them. My 8 and 9 year olds can't wait to go fishing and my 3 (gonna be 4) at the time of the cruise keep asking me, "When do we get to see the whales?" Additionally, my husband is a semi-professional photographer, usually it is other adults ruining the shots not the kids.

... Additionally, my husband is a semi-professional photographer, usually it is other adults ruining the shots not the kids.

You know, I have to comment on this one. A boat full of people is a place that has to be shared. I do try not to walk in front of somebody who is taking a snapshot for a moment. But photographers who want to set up "semi-professional" equipment and spend a lot of time lining up their shot and expect a whole boat load of adults and kids to keep away from them and allow them exclusive use of that camera angle are a real pain. The arrogance of such an attitude bugs me.

A professional photographer will rent an exclusive boat and thereby insure they are not bothered by other people "ruining the shots"! Anybody who chooses to travel with a group has to share space with the group and not expect to be able to set up a tripod and command more than their share of the boat.

Go ahead, kids or adults! Run in front of the guy's tripod. You paid as much for the use of the space as he did!

(Putting on my flak helmet and diving for my foxhole now ...)

Thanks for your advice. We have a boat in Texas and the kids are use to being on a boat. Also, we are concidering a private tour boat only. Rumrunner or Weatherpermittingalaska any advice on which one?

I would suggest calling both companies and asking them about their policies and experiences with children on the tours. I definitely think you should book a completely private tour. Even though your grandchildren are used to boats, other passengers may be sensitive to having their experience impacted by children on board.

MercedMike, I totally agree about some photographers. If they are super sensitive to getting the perfect shot, they should book a private boat.

I didn't mean to start a debate. I only wanted to ask for any input on which tour company to use. I would never subject my grandkids to a boatful of people wanting to see Whales. I am a Mom, Grandmother and a adult who enjoys not having a unrulely kid running around. That's why we are doing a Private Tour.

So with that out of the way, have use either Rumrunner or Weatherpermittingalaska? Your opinion will be appreiciated.

We are taking our 2 ds ages 5 & 9 whale watching in Alaska - 7/11 Serenade of the seas.

We opted to take a smaller private tour rather than a larger boat. We have booked with a private tour operater in Icy Strait Point who only takes 6 passengers at a time. Since we are a group of 4 it is possible that we will be the only ones on this excursion. I felt more comfortable booking this as I feel the boys would do much better with personal attention and the tour operator could cater it more to our specific needs and interests. Plus - IF they were having an off day we would not be infringing upon a large group of paying passengers - especially if we do happen to be the only passengers.

Of course my boys are a little older than your grandsons and are both really excited about the prospect of seeing whales. You know the children's tempermant and attention levels the best - so let that be the determining factor.

If you're going with F.I.S.H.E.S. -- it's awesome! Floyd is wonderful. Check my signature for a link to my pictures; we were lucky enough to see a lot of whale tails, and on the way back to the ship we got even luckier - a breech! Floyd said he only gets those about once every 7 trips or so.

Anybody who chooses to travel with a group has to share space with the group and not expect to be able to set up a tripod and command more than their share of the boat.

True. But anyone who signs up for a "Photo Safari" (as I did in Juneau) should be aware that other people on the boat (and there were only 11 of us) are taking pictures as well, and not suddenly stand up without looking behind them. I finally laid my hand on the young (20's) man's shoulder and softly told him that he needed to check before he popped up because there were people behind him shooting over his head.... And none of us had tripods or even monopods, we were all hand-holding.

If you're going with F.I.S.H.E.S. -- it's awesome! Floyd is wonderful. Check my signature for a link to my pictures; we were lucky enough to see a lot of whale tails, and on the way back to the ship we got even luckier - a breech! Floyd said he only gets those about once every 7 trips or so.

Yeay! We are going with F.I.S.H.E.S on our July 11 Serenade voyage!

We have two young boys 5 & 9 who will be there as well. I have heard many amazing things about Floyd - including that he is great with kids!!

I am heading over now to check out your photos! I hear the Mustard group had a "large time"! Hopefully the ship and staff will have time to recover by the time we board in July!!

In essence Mike I agree with you, as a my DH usually waits around from everyone to pass and then takes his shot. It was not me objecting to the kids running around but the other poster. I was just pointing out that it is usually clueless adults who walk in front of professional and amateurs photographers. I did not say that it was irritation just a fact of life such as children are.

I didn't mean to start a debate. I only wanted to ask for any input on which tour company to use. I would never subject my grandkids to a boatful of people wanting to see Whales. I am a Mom, Grandmother and a adult who enjoys not having a unrulely kid running around. That's why we are doing a Private Tour.

So with that out of the way, have use either Rumrunner or Weatherpermittingalaska? Your opinion will be appreiciated.

Sorry I don't have the information you need, but I want to add that people are probably commenting on the "whale watching with kids" because that is the title of your post.

If you titled it "Has anyone used Rumrunner or Weatherpermittingalaska?" you would probably get the responses you are looking for. HTH.

Archived