Wife: FBI says poss. 'foul play' in Smith/RCI case

Simple answer It is cheaper to pay her off then go to court to fight any law suites and to try to minimize bad publicity... Citys do this all the time in law suites filed against them...

Maybe it would be cheaper to equip their ships with nets, to catch the overboarders.

And I had not heard about it until this thread, so its new to me.

Yes it is new to you, but here it was watched very close when it first happened. The woman had statements and interviews that came out that helped people form an opinion of her and it was not a good one.

Even if you were drunk off your gourd, you would still need to be seriously goofing off to fall overboard (unless you were very tall and very top heavy)

George liked to sit on the railing and smoke a cigar. The person next door heard noise from the cabin/balcony. George could have moved a chair (and we know how noisy that can be at night) and then climed on the chair to sit on the balcony as he had done before in his sober state. I can easily imagine him losing his balance and falling backward.

Even if you were drunk off your gourd, you would still need to be seriously goofing off to fall overboard (unless you were very tall and very top heavy)

Such as that lady on the NCL [Norwegian Dawn] ship to Bermuda who apparently thought it would be a good idea to climb around the partition to her nextdoor neighbor's balcony rather than going through the hall? I don't think they ever found her either.

Maybe it would be cheaper to equip their ships with nets, to catch the overboarders.

Since the probability of someone going overboard is so slim, it's unlikely the would put nets up there, as they would probably interfere with the usage of the lifeboats. I'm sure if it were possible, it would've been done by now.

If you've ever been involved in a lawsuit--which I hope you haven't!--you know that sometimes it's just easier to pay someone off.

Archived