Driving to Vancouver from Ca

:confused:Just wondering has anyone ever driven to Vancouver from Sacramento?Looks like a easy but long drive. Would b nice to see some country, and avoid taxis and waiting at the airport? But realize I have to park for 10 days at the Ballantyne pier.........Sailing date : 09/18/09 on the Mille

:confused:Just wondering has anyone ever driven to Vancouver from Sacramento?
No, nobody's ever made that drive. Be a pioneer. ;)

(Just kidding...)

Sure, it's not that hard a drive; it will need an overnight stop unless you enjoy 16 straight hours of white line fever (if taking I-5.) It's a tad boring between Sacramento and around Redding, then from Cottage Grove (OR) to Portland, then again from Kalama (WA) to Olympia, but very easy driving overall.

There are some reasonable close-by detours, in particular the Columbia Gorge outside of Portland.

If I lived in Sacramento and were cruising out of Vancouver, I'd certainly drive it if I had time.

:confused:Just wondering has anyone ever driven to Vancouver from Sacramento?Looks like a easy but long drive. Would b nice to see some country, and avoid taxis and waiting at the airport? But realize I have to park for 10 days at the Ballantyne pier.........Sailing date : 09/18/09 on the Mille

Hi, Mille drove from Florida to Vancouver, LOL, Went through Sacramento on the way. Your looking at a good days travel at least possibly a stop over in Washington on the way. Would sugest Belingham or Seattle. Seattle is a good 4 hours south, Bellinham just a hour or so. Not sure of parking at Ballantyne Pier though. There is a Cruise ship parking lot by Canada Place Pier I would check with them if they offer a shuttle to Ballantyne. Ballantyne is in a restricted area run by Harbour Commision also not a very good part of town. Would be a bit worried in leaving a vheical in that area. The Cruise lot is ok though has its Patroled 24-7 here's a link to Cruispark http://www.cruisepark.com/faqs.php#q1

Very Nice Drive though hope you have a great cruise also.:)

I have driven Vanccouver/Sacramento on many occasions and it is a very easy 1.5 to 2 day drive on I-5. I would suggest a stop overnight in central to northern Washington then a rush for the border early in the morning. If you are looking for a stay, park and cruise package I can recommend the Accent Inns who operate two properties, one out by the airport and the other in Burnaby a burb just east of Vancouver. The other one would be at the Coast Plaza which in the city's West End just west of the downtown business core.

www.accentinns.com/

www.coasthotels.com/home/sites/vancouvercoastplaza/

I've done it the other way...Vancouver south...and it is a long haul from Sacramento to the border but is doable.

I suggest you do it in two days....the first to Everett or Bellingham ...just south of the border....then the second is just a quick hop to the boarder. If you get to the border early in the morning you'll miss the line-ups.

Parking around Ballantyne is a problem but maybe Putterdude or UT know of a place.

Yes, we drove it a few years ago from Walnut Creek. up to Vancouver to visit our niece. Stopped in Eugene for the night, was not a bad drive and the countryside WAS beautiful. Driving gave us the opportunity to stop at all the great outlet malls, as well.

Easy drive freeway drive. I have done Stockton (hour south of Sac) to Seattle straight through, which would be about an hour shorter than Sac-Vancouver (minus border stuff). It is a long drive for one day.

Break it -- somewhere in the Willamette Valley (Eugene - Portland) would be in the neighborhood of halfway.

And watch out of the triple trailer trucks in Oregon, particularly on the series of grades between Roseburg and Grants Pass, where it is mostly only 2 lanes each way and curvy. It is easy to come around an uphill curve and find a truck in the left lane doing 25 passing a triple doing 5.

It's a gorgeous drive. Leave time and try to divert over to the ocean as much as possible. I-5 is okay, but 101 is much more interesting.

I've always had problems finding accomodations in Portland. I don't know why, but it's just hard to get off the highway there and find decent places to stay. We just keep going to the Washington side. Astoria is nice, too. Maybe others have suggestions.

Viv

Archived