Setting help on my Xsi

Rosieo

I am hoping someone can help me out. I have an AF mode on my camera. It has three settings -one shot, el focus and el servo. What are they and what does each one mean. I am leaving in a few days to Alaska and need to know.

Rosieo,

One Shot - the camera focuses once when you push the shutter button half way down

AI Servo – is for moving subjects (or you). While you hold down the shutter button half way, the camera will keep focusing on the AF point you have chosen

AI Focus – Switches between one shot and AI Servo. After the subject is focused in one shot, if the camera detects it is moving, it will change to AI Servo and keep the subject in focus.

The modes would be very useful in Alaska for tracking that bear or moose or whatever that is moving. But, beware, AI Servo eats battery life for lunch.

Larry

The one-shot setting locks the focus when you push the shutter part way. It works well if the camera isn't moving (like on a tripod) and the subject isn't moving (like the Eiffel Tower).

The other settings are AI servo and AI focus, where the "AI" stands for artificial intelligence. AI servo is Canon's predictive focus technology and it works pretty well when the camera and/or subject is moving. I'm not even sure what the AI focus is, but I think it somehow automatically tries to switch between the other two modes.

I'd recommend keeping it on AI servo (that's what I do almost all the time). It works fine for static shots, and helps keep those quick shots in crisp focus.

Enjoy your trip! We'll be heading up to Alaska too in a few months. I can't wait.

(Larry beat me to it :-)

Archived