The BEST Of John Heald's Blog... Carnival News & Announcements

falkcor

hey everybody - i know that not everybody reads john heald's blogs frequently, but questions seem to pop up in these threads, with answers coming from the blog on a near daily basis...

questions like the current thread of when john will be on dream, hypotheses regarding the fuel surcharges, etc. - and the consistent questions regarding who's cruise director when, etc.

i thought that it just might be a good idea to make a thread, where the current news and announcements from carnival via john heald's blog could be posted to give users an idea of what's going on at a glance.

so, as a first post here, i thought it'd be a good idea to post a notable announcement from john's blog today - the cruise director schedule through december 2009! take a look at this 'thumbnail'. i'll post the link to the blog and full size file just below (it's too wide to be posted well here):

06-09-09-cd-2009-1000-jpg.jpg

the full size cruise director schedule:

http://johnheald.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/cd-schedule-june-december-2009-cd-schedule.jpg

today's blog (where it was posted):

http://johnhealdsblog.com/2009/06/09/sharing-your-dream-part-2/

and incidentally, also from today's blog - john WILL be the CD of dream, covering todd's vacation, from january 23, 2010 through the end of march 2010.

note: as the title intends, i'd intend for this to primarily be regarding 'carnival news & announcements' - not for personally-relevant things like whether kye slept well last night or the fact that john hates flying :)

I can't read either one, can anyone else? If so, who's going to be the CD on the Legend Oct. 11th?

if you click on the linked copy to john's original file, you might have to click on it for it to magnify. if it shows you a little magnifying glass with a plus on it - just click on the pic.

according to the schedule, john heald will be your cruise director...

john heald on 9/27

jen baxter off 10/04

john heald CD as of 10/04

congrats! :D

Is this John Heald just a cruise director who writes a blog or someone more important than that? He's going to be my cruise director so I hope he's good!

I believe his title is Senior Cruise Director & Brand Ambassador or similar.

Thanks Mark!

I wish it went to January ... wondering if I can expect Brent Loyer as the CD on the Destiny or will he switch out for the new year? Did John give an idea on when the next list will come out? (sorry, I haven't read any of his blogs but I should start!)

Love the link - thanks again.

Miriam

PS. Would I be a thread hijacker if I asked for comments on Brent Loyer?? I will post a whole new thread if you'd wish Mark ... (much too new to this Carnival board, I guess)

Is this John Heald just a cruise director who writes a blog or someone more important than that? He's going to be my cruise director so I hope he's good!

john is carnival's senior cruise director - he's been with the company FOREVER and is one of the perennial favorites among cds - not to mention the fact that he's mentored and helped get new cruise directors started for well over a decade.

he's also a pretty funny guy, and is considered one of the best - if not the best, by a lot of carnival devotees. he's recently transitioned from strictly a cruise director, to a 'brand ambassador' for carnival. that means less time on the ships, more time on land, and he's present at just about every big event carnival throws (such as the recent double launch of 2 costa ships).

he does write a blog, where he answers questions from cruisers every day - he's often the best source of information for clear answers - kinda like mach :D

check out his blog if you'd like: http://johnhealdsblog.com/

it's often amusing to read, and there's always great info and news there. today - see a bunch of new pics from the dream, which he visited just the other day.

I have never gotten a visit from the upgrade fairy. I've never had a memorable Cruise Director. It's been fine because cruising is the best but to see that John Heald will be the CD on our 10/4 Legend cruise just caused me to do the arm flailing, booty shaking snoopy dance of joy! YEAH!!!!!!!

if you click on the linked copy to john's original file, you might have to click on it for it to magnify. if it shows you a little magnifying glass with a plus on it - just click on the pic.

according to the schedule, john heald will be your cruise director...

john heald on 9/27

jen baxter off 10/04

john heald CD as of 10/04

congrats! :D

PS. Would I be a thread hijacker if I asked for comments on Brent Loyer?? I will post a whole new thread if you'd wish Mark ... (much too new to this Carnival board, I guess)

you're very welcome - for what it's worth - i don't think it'd be a hijack at all... it's a question about something released on the blog / posted here.

personally, that's part of why i thought to start this - so you don't have to start a new thread every time you have a new question - that way a lot of relevant and related info is all together. i'd encourage everyone to discuss / ask questions about anything on this thread - as long as it's SOMEWHAT related to the news / announcements... let's not get this shut down... :D

I have never gotten a visit from the upgrade fairy. I've never had a memorable Cruise Director. It's been fine because cruising is the best but to see that John Heald will be the CD on our 10/4 Legend cruise just caused me to do the arm flailing, booty shaking snoopy dance of joy! YEAH!!!!!!!

congratulations - that's quite descriptive! :cool:

if you have any specific questions re: your cruise - you've got the benefit of asking him via the blog if you need to!

ok, now this one really made me laugh... :D

here's the headline from britain's 'the sun' newspaper:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/travel/2467993/Singer-is-Dream-ticket-for-cruise.html

Singer is Dream Ticket for Cruise

BRITAIN's Got Talent star Susan Boyle is being lined up to be Godmother of CARNIVAL Dream

so, thinking you missed something? nah, here's what happened:

http://johnhealdsblog.com/2009/06/09/sharing-your-dream-part-2/

I may have gotten myself in a wee bit of hot water regarding Miss Susan Boyle. A few weeks ago I suggested that she would make a great godmother/performer for the Carnival Dream. It seems that a British national newspaper thought that this was a done deal and actually printed this in their newspaper The Sun yesterday. Well, I know of no plans for this to actually happen and judging by the wee ladies state of mind at the moment…….I doubt she would be able to do it.

i think it's pretty hilarious how that all got blown out of proportion... but nevertheless think it'd be a great idea... how apropros. :)

We had Butch as a CD on the Glory last year and loved him. He was more involved with what was going on than any other CD I had sailed with. Always saw him "out and about" as he says, sitting with guests wondering around the Lido. His role in the Legends show was the best!! If you a cruiser that gets involved with the activites around the ship you will see him around alot.

John Heald to Interview Samantha Brown 6/10

Travel Channel to Feature Carnival Freedom Saturday 6/13 at 10 E/P

From http://johnhealdsblog.com/2009/06/09/sharing-your-dream-part-2/

Oh, also tomorrow look out for an interview with Samantha Brown from Travel Channel who has returned from her Carnival Freedom cruise and will host a show about her experience that premieres this Saturday at 10 pm eastern time. I tried to think of some good questions and her answers are really great so join me for that tomorrow.

Visit http://johnhealdsblog.com/ for an update.

This Saturday Travel Channel's Samantha Brown will be featured in a one hour special detailing their voyage aboard Carnival Freedom, departing Ft Lauderdale, visiting St Thomas, USVI; Antigua; Tortola, BVI; and Nassua, Bahamas. For the trip guide and links, visit:

http://www.travelchannel.com/TV_Shows/Samantha_Brown/ci.Carnival_Cruise_Guide.show?vgnextfmt=show

-----

It's bound to be repeated after initial airing. And I'm sure there's plenty of people that will be on similar cruises that'll be interested. :)

If anybody figures out alternate times, report back. *I thought it'd be amusing to format this one like a news brief. :D

We love Skippy!! My DD was 17 when we sailed with him as an assistant CD. She would follow him anywhere. Later when we sailed with him as a CD he was really kind to her. Of course then she was over 21. He took a picture with my daughter and signed it and bought us all a round of drinks and sat and talked with us for a while. He is one of our favorites and my DD's favorite for sure. Have a blast on your cruise!! Cindy

That dance is a sight to behold. It's not a GOOD sight, mind you, but a sight nonetheless.

I am going to ask him questions on his blog. Just gotta think of some first. And I will, after I get done dancing!

congratulations - that's quite descriptive! :cool:

if you have any specific questions re: your cruise - you've got the benefit of asking him via the blog if you need to!

Can someone tell me about Butch...

Just off the Liberty and Butch was very energetic, but not in an intrusive way. He talked a lot and talked real fast, but had a sense of humor. Very active along with his other staff around the ship.

here's an update from today's blog... MY question & answer from john. :D

i asked:

Fantastic blog today. i really enjoyed it and am looking forward to dream posts this coming week. a few questions:

1) the pictures of the costa ships are fantastic. They are gorgeous ships. do you think Joe ever might consider taking off his ‘fun’ hat, or even making the ‘theme’ of the ship ‘Italian’ something or another to achieve a simple elegance in decor as illustrated in the Costa ships, on a carnival ship?

Love carnival, but love the sophistication exemplified in the Costa decor, too. For what it’s worth, I think that it’d still be ‘fun’. I’ve also watched ‘queen marry 2: birth of a legend’ recently with Cunard’s belle of a ship… what a wonderful ship. I think a great theme for a carnival ship would be ‘great liners’, or even just ’simple elegance’. Given the rest of the fleet, that itself would be ‘daring’ I’d like to see it, if even just a one-off.

2) I noticed a few variations, I think, in the design and finish of the Costa ships… operable windows (for ventilation?) along one of the upper decks… shade structures near a pool, with tables & chairs below, instead of rows of loungers in the sun. I know that Splendor is a unique carnival ship for its Euro-influence (most notably, a huge spa!) – and you mentioned tonight how the different brands make entirely different use of the same basic class of ship – what sort of variations are most common? Or most notable / interesting? To you?

3) I’m totally looking forward to pics and new info of dream next week…

4) that leads me to my next question – is it ok to post information (cruise-related, not personal) from this blog, including ‘news-worthy’ pics (like of ships, or the new conquest itineraries past 2010 in a not so recent (1 mo or so?) post, thanks for that btw, I inquired previously), and the like, to third party sites (like cc) – in terms of copyright mumbo jumbo? I always figured if you’re relaying cruise-related info, that it’s for public distribution, and actually beneficial to ccl to be referenced / re-posted. just trying to be careful and get a clear answer.

It’s a bugger to try to say ‘click here’, then scroll down 5/8 of the page, and look for the word ‘conquest’.

5) any updates when ccl plans to name magic’s home port? Still rooting for Galveston – I’m tired of it making more sense to fly to Miami with people from other cities, due to airfare and cruise prices at a premium . I know everything magic is hush-hush, but just a ‘month year’ would quell some speculation, and actually, build enthusiasm – think about it that way?

6) With oil finally topping 70.00 per barrel the other day, when does carnival plan to assess / make a statement about how they will assess fuel surcharges?

Congrats again on the birth of Kye, and thanks for all you do. and I’ll just say, I’m kind of interested to see your posts when you’re back on a ship – it’s been a little while, and I really appreciate some of the ‘on board’ experience coming through.

–Mark

john says:

Hello Mark

I am glad you are enjoying the blog thingies each day and I hope you have enjoyed the Carnival Dream reviews. There will be another one in just a moment. Let me see if I can answer your questions.

1. I am certainly not one who could ever begin to second guess what the maestro Joe Farcus will ever do. His mind is totally unique and each and every time he designs a ship we all never are quite sure what imaginative ideas he will bring to life. Certainly the Costa Luminosa showed that he can produce a classic Italian/European vessel full of luxurious colours and simple earthy tones. Will he ever design a Carnival ship like that…….well, he could……………but personally I hope he doesn’t. We want our ships to stand out….to be different and to portray a sense of fun and for that there is no better chap than Joe. I have seen the program Birth of a Legend and indeed it portrayed the Queen Mary 2 for what she still is and always will be…………..the most magnificent Liner ever made. I know that the Queen Victoria has a lot of memorabilia of the Cunard line in her onboard museum and I would not be surprised if the new Queen Elizabeth pays tribute to the sister that bore her name the Queen Elizabeth 2.

2. I loved this question and I could spend a long time answering it. However I will keep it simple. Let’s take the Queen Victoria and the Luminosa ………the same class of ship and their main show rooms. The Queen Victoria has a very elegant lounge complete with “private boxes” similar to La Scala in Milan and the Royal Albert Hall in London. The same lounge on the Costa Luminosa has a more typical style of theatre with excellent sight lines and while the Queen Victoria’s lounge feels intimate and cozy the same lounge with the same dimensions on the Luminosa feels completely different ……it feels bigger……….but it’s not. Then there is the aft lounge on the Costa Pacifica and the Carnival Splendor. Each line was given the same space and each line designed the lounge so differently. Carnival has the bar tucked over to the side to allow for more seating as we hold our late night shows there. On the Pacifica there is a large rotund bar directly as you walk in that dominates the lounge. This is because Europeans like to sit and have after dinner drinks there and seeing the bar directly by the entrance to the lounge certainly attracts a lot of people. The thing is though………….both work. There are many other areas I could talk about and I will in future blogs.

3 and 4……I guess that this is a public domain thingy and what I write here is because I want everyone to know what’s happening in the Carnival world……….as far as copyright ………well I have no idea about such things so let me ask Vance from PR to add a few words on this subject……………. Vance……………….over to you mate. Vance can you add a few words please. From Vance: I wouldn’t think this would be a problem as people post news and other similar items on the Internet all the time. I think the problem is when it relates to advertising/marketing, i.e. using someone’s likeness to promote a product which certainly isn’t the case here. I’ll do some digging around but that’s my initial thought on the matter.

5. I know how you and everyone is looking forward to hearing about Carnival Magic and where she will be sailing. I can tell you that a final decision on this is being made as we speak and I promise that you will all know as soon as I do. It will be worth the wait I promise. I realize that flying these days is about as pleasant as wearing my underwear as a hat…….so I hope that placing vessels such as the Carnival Pride in Baltimore that Carnival is committed to making taking a cruise vacation as convenient, affordable and stress free as possible by allowing for shorter flights or for guests to drive to board the ship.

6. Thanks for asking this. I am going to ask that you give me some time to investigate this and hopefully before the end of today’s blog I will have some news for you. If not then I will have your answer tomorrow on the oil concerns.

There you go. Great questions and I hope my answers did them justification. Thanks also for the kind words for Kye and if there is anything else I can do for you please let me know

Best wishes

John

i added bold emphasis for the parts i thought were most relevant...

here's a link to today's blog thingy:

http://johnhealdsblog.com/2009/06/10/more-of-your-dream/

so in response to my question #6, re: re-instatement of the fuel supplement, he said he'd try for a statement by the end of the blog thingy...

and here it is, from mickey arison, carnival corporation's chairman and CEO:

Carnival Corporation & plc Statement on Reinstatement of Fuel Supplements

At the time we suspended fuel supplements for our six North American brands, we reserved the right to reinstate them if the price of light sweet crude oil, according to the NYMEX, should increase above $70 per barrel. While we have now exceeded that threshold, in light of the economic crisis and resulting consumer weakness, we presently have no plans to institute a fuel supplement. We will continue to monitor the situation in the markets and review our position as the situation warrants.

so there ya have it. that's their story and they're stickin' to it... for now :D

Archived