Heard from the grapevine...

I actually did not realize there would be such an issue with posting this news here. If I offended anyone, I apologize. However, I definitely don't feel I was invading Travolta's privacy (we couldn't jump aboard and harass him and it was well-known aboard the ship as well). I actually don't see how what I did was any worse than what some of the recent flamers on here posted from news sites and blogs.

And nooo, I am not the type of person to be excited to be "right." As a communication/journalism major, I guess it is just in my blood to want to pass along information. I thought it was so uncharacter for a major celebrity like Travolta to book a trip about a major cruise line, especially considering the Enchantment is one of the older ships, and I wanted to share this information with you.

What is unfortunate is that the cruiseline has an employee who would leak the information out to someone who then chooses to publicize it on the Internet. Not to mention the media who chooses to disclose the information. Who cares whether he was or wasn't. The man was on vacation, which even famous people are allowed to do. It shouldn't mean that others broadcast the information. It also shouldn't cause others to question and/or criticize his choice in vacations.

...stepping off my soap box...

Sorry, I have to disagree with one minor point. Of all the people on this PLANET, the percentage of those who read Cruise Critic is minuscule. And the percentage who read the RCL board specifically is even less. And the percentage who read THIS thread...oy.

I don't think anyone's CRITICIZING his choice (not that he would know OR care. People like to talk about celebrities. If some people find it odd that a superstar would go on a small RCI ship vs. say, George Clooney's private yacht in Italy or the 5-star Las Ventanas resort in Mexico where he'd be noticed by a LOT less people than the Enchantment, it's chat-worthy.

It certainly isn't gonna hurt JT or his wife and daughter if we speculate on a very insignificant (in terms of where people go for celebrity gossip) web site.

Okie, off my soapbox now and on my way to the movies!

I actually did not realize there would be such an issue with posting this news here. If I offended anyone, I apologize. However, I definitely don't feel I was invading Travolta's privacy (we couldn't jump aboard and harass him and it was well-known aboard the ship as well). I actually don't see how what I did was any worse than what some of the recent flamers on here posted from news sites and blogs.

And nooo, I am not the type of person to be excited to be "right." As a communication/journalism major, I guess it is just in my blood to want to pass along information. I thought it was so uncharacter for a major celebrity like Travolta to book a trip about a major cruise line, especially considering the Enchantment is one of the older ships, and I wanted to share this information with you.

Don't worry about it. Some of us don't see why it's such a big deal. Again, it's VERY out of the ordinary and therefore INTERESTING, and it's not possible for us to swim to the ship and go bother him.

:rolleyes:

Pretty sure this solves all the mystery and debate.

I saw Tina Turner, Cindy Lauper and ELVIS, among others at the Legends show on the Conquest.

All of the Village People crashed the "Top of the Crown" lounge on the Nordic Empress when we sailed her many moons ago! The Cop was the spitting image of CD "Dan the Party Man."

Also saw Elton John on an NCL ship and Bowser from Sha-na-na on the Marniner OTS.

Oh wait - that really was Bowser - and it was sad :(

Wow....What is the big deal. John Travolta on a cruise ship. Believe it or not he's a real person. He use to live not far from me and it wasn't uncommon to actually see him in the supermarket doing his grocery shopping. The neighbors forced him out of the place he was living.

JOHN,probably has his own yacht,and he is trying to deal with his loss,that is why he did'nt go to the movie release,so why would he want to go on a cruise,with 2,000 people?,anyway just does'nt sound right:rolleyes:

Wow....What is the big deal. John Travolta on a cruise ship. Believe it or not he's a real person. He use to live not far from me and it wasn't uncommon to actually see him in the supermarket doing his grocery shopping. The neighbors forced him out of the place he was living.

How did the neighbors force him out of the Fly-In? I thought it was because his personal jet (707?) was too big for the runway... fill me in!

How did the neighbors force him out of the Fly-In? I thought it was because his personal jet (707?) was too big for the runway... fill me in!

That's it. They claimed that his Jet was ruining the runway. I think it was because it made their Pipers and Cherokees look look like paper airplanes. A jealousy thing for sure.

JOHN,probably has his own yacht,and he is trying to deal with his loss,that is why he did'nt go to the movie release,so why would he want to go on a cruise,with 2,000 people?,anyway just does'nt sound right:rolleyes:

This debate went on for three pages in this thread...but it's actually proven that he was on the ship. So that's that...most of us didn't believe it at first but it's actually true.

Hi!!

My daughter saw him briefly on the balcony of the suite next door during Sail-away.

There was no gawking he didn't show up in any public areas - probably just wanted a few days without photos....helicopters....etc. We never said a word to anyone; it didn't seem right to ruin his privacy.

Don't worry about it. Some of us don't see why it's such a big deal. Again, it's VERY out of the ordinary and therefore INTERESTING, and it's not possible for us to swim to the ship and go bother him.

:rolleyes:

I don't think it's a big deal either.. as was pointed out earlier, it's not anybody can follow him onto the ship asking for an autograph.

A few years ago we were on one of the Voyager-class ships with one of the members of *NSYNC. He seemed to have a good time, and mingled with some of the 20-somethings that were on the ship. Nobody mobbed him or begged him for his autograph whenever I saw him. People seemed to be respectful of the fact that he was a paying guest on vacation just like they were. So it doesn't seem that odd to me that somebody like Travolta would choose the Enchantment, and I hope he enjoyed his cruise.

One of the thoughts I had when this thread first appeared was why would he pick Enchantment, when he could have done something that I would consider "bigger/better/grander", like the Jewel or any of her sisters, or the Liberty or any of hers...he's got the $$, lets face it...

And then it dawned on me...why NOT the Enchantment???

Think about it...it's probably a good place to "disappear"...for example, if I were walking do wn the hallway, and he passed by me, I would probably think "Wow, that guy looks a lot like John Travolta..." and continue on my way, because I wouldn't expect to see him on board...however on a "bigger/better/grander", I might not expect to see him, but would be more prone to think it WAS him...

So, by going on Enchantment, I think it gives him a little more of the "disappearance" factor.

I do, however, agree with the person above who said that this shouldn't have "gotten out" the way it did..like a "I'm privvy to this because of where I work" secret...and I think that whoever on RC staff that "leaked" it was wrong...obviously someone who has access to passenger lists...whole different story coming from someone who SAW him onboard or at the next table while THEY were on THEIR cruise is one thing...but I would expect that the staff, much like the staff of a hotel, many times cannot acknowledge whether a certain guest is staying in their hotel...

As to why he disembarked in Belize, maybe "word" was now out...and it was done to avoid the onslaught at the next port of call....

Rumor we've heard is that Travolta had planned to disembark in Belize from the get-go -- guess when you are a celeb, you can customize itineraries to your liking! Royal Caribbean could neither confirm nor deny :) The swine flu scare, however, was just that; spokeswoman for the line confirms today that there was influenza A onboard, but no H1N1. Also says ship stayed late in port to make up for the lost time it took to clear the ship in Belize.

I do, however, agree with the person above who said that this shouldn't have "gotten out" the way it did..like a "I'm privvy to this because of where I work" secret...and I think that whoever on RC staff that "leaked" it was wrong...obviously someone who has access to passenger lists...whole different story coming from someone who SAW him onboard or at the next table while THEY were on THEIR cruise is one thing...but I would expect that the staff, much like the staff of a hotel, many times cannot acknowledge whether a certain guest is staying in their hotel...

I agree. The staff member who leaked this information and his/her "friend" who posted it did RCCL a great disservice. In the tourism industy, disgression is EVERYTHING. Whether you're a celebrity, a CEO, or "Joe the Plumber," it's nice to know you can be as invisible as you chose to be on vacation.

Archived