Chances of not making Grand Cayman port?

MommaMouseFan

I was looking at booking the Captain Marvin's stingray city, coral gardens and lunch trip for our November 28th Disney Cruise. I thought about Nativeways vs. Capt. Marvins, but my DH really liked the conch dive/appetizer option with Capt Marvin's.

However, I am really nervous about:

1) Not making port at all. Anyone have insight on potential for not making port in Nov-Dec timeframe? Is it often the ships don't make port in GC?

2) Not having the 10 people required to sail to Sting ray city. Is this likely? My travel agent wants me to go with a more expensive intermediate company who guarantees that if Capt. Marvin's doesn't sail, they will get you on a replacement sailing.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Good stories for Capt Marvin's or Nativeways?

Thank you so much in advance!!!

We did Capt Marvin about 3 years ago, so don't know how it is now. We really enjoyed it and it has been one of our all time favorite excursions. There were maybe 25 people on a large catamaran. It never felt crowded. The crew was wonderful.

We have been scheduled to go to Grand Cayman 3 times. We made it 2 x's, once in December and once in August. One time didn't make it in to port due to wave conditions was in March. By what I've read, it's hard to predict. Windy conditions with high waves can happen in any month.

With Capt. Marvin, the agreement was that if the ship didn't make it into port, we would not be charged. If you are concerned, call or email Capt Marvin's. They should be able to tell you in advance how many are signed up for the trip.

Great! Right now, I think we are the first 6. It doesn't seem like it would be difficult to book another 4 people so that the trip will definately leave.

I thought about booking through a company just for shore excursions, but they choose Capt. Marvin's and are an extra $15 per person. I thought I would take my chances on my own with the same company.

Yes, I did read their cancellation policy, and that is a bonus :) but now I'm worried about not enough people booking for the trip to go... Always something to worry about :confused:!!!

Thanks for the reply!

:) but now I'm worried about not enough people booking for the trip to go... Always something to worry about :confused:!!!

Thanks for the reply!

I have read Capt Marvin's web site and I can't find where it says 10 people minimum. They have smaller boats for smaller groups. I do see where you need at least 10 people for a private tour but nothing about regular tours.

Ps we are 3 for 4 making it to Grand cayman, Not to scare you but we missed it in november, but we also made it in November.

Archived