Do you miss your dog or cat while you are gone?

suse

We wouldn't dare send our three (two goldens, one golden mix) to 'dog prison', aka a kennel, no matter how wonderful it was. We pay a married couple to move into our house whenever we are cruising--they let the dogs sleep in bed with them! They cost more than the cruise fare for one of us!

I always hope for a service animal or two on our cruise, so we can have a 'dose of dog' while we're gone. Yes, we grovel and scrape to befriend the owners, just to get a few minutes with the dog when he's 'off duty'.

I must say that I trust their kennel much more than I would trust someone coming into our home to take care of Bonnie and Katie. Under our circumstances this is the best possible care we can provide them.

We wouldn't dare send our three (two goldens, one golden mix) to 'dog prison', aka a kennel, no matter how wonderful it was. We pay a married couple to move into our house whenever we are cruising--they let the dogs sleep in bed with them! They cost more than the cruise fare for one of us!

Our dog is an escape artist, and has fooled a few people and managed to bolt out the door of the house. Once she got about 20 km away. Our vet/kennel is the best place for her -- she has a special cage where she cannot see any doors, and the people who look after her KNOW she's a tricky little runaway when given the chance.

I wish I could find someone who was smarter than she is, to come stay here!

I have two grand doggies, Rory (female, 13 months pit/Queensland heeler) and Dexter (male, 6 months great dane/boxer.) They belong to my daughter and once or twice a week I get them. The dog park is their favorite place, so when they see me, they know we are headed for the dog park. My friends get tired of me talking about them. Next week I'm going to take them to a lake near here. Yes, I miss them when I'm on cruises or other trips.

It's such a relief to have such a nice thread. I wish I could have people take care of my scottie, but scotties are kind of funny like that. They just don't take to people unless you are family. That's it. Maybe there is a lesson here for me. After all, what is most important? Family. He's right!!!!! It took me awhile to get it.:D

It is a nice breath of fresh air, isn't it Suse?:) Every once and a while we get threads like this that don't offend or upset anyone!

Wanted to tell you how I LOVE Scotties! Molly has a friend, Zach, a Scottie who does come and stay with some friends down the street when his owner goes away. Zach loved Molly, but as he's gotten older he's a little independent. But I loved watching them jump around the lawn together. Scotties have a very special way of running! He can really move despite his short legs.

In a few days I'll be on my first cruise...and I'll be leaving my Susie with my brother and his family. I am sure I'll cry after I leave her. She's an 18 month old boxer mix that my husband and I adopted last year before my husband passed away after battling cancer. Susie has been my lifeline these past few months!

I'm taking my oldest niece with me on this cruise (her family gets Susie in a trade off!). I live in Michigan but my family lives in Nebraska. Tomorrow, Susie and I are starting a long road trip in the car to the family. My niece and I are flying from Omaha to Seattle on the 27th. I will miss Susie like crazy, but am thankful she'll be in a great home. And I'm looking forward to making great memories with Susie on this upcoming road trip and with my niece on our first cruise! :)

Seems like I've rambled a bit here....thanks for listening!

We are very blessed in that my parents live nearby. When our black lab stays with them it is like she is living in a 4 star hotel. A pillow on their couch, she isn't allowed on our furniture. Broth and meat on her dog food (she always puts on a few pounds but so do we). Two walks a day. It's a miracle she even wants to come home. We think about her but don't miss her.

I have 18 1/2 dogs at home at the one I misses most is the 1/2.

The 1/2 is from my ex(when we were living together) and I still see her a few times a week (she doesn't know)and she's most of the time with me in the car or at home, so I really misses her when I'm on a cruise. Almost every port I phone my ex MIL to ask for Betty

I do. I have a scottish terrier, who can get pesky, whom I really miss when cruising. I leave him with my vet, so he's in good hands, but it's a drag to leave him behind. Well, he's always with me, even when I work, so it's strange without him.

Yes, I do.

We have a Norwich Terrier (almost 6) and a Brittany (almost 13) and I miss them terribly. When we travel, I get a pet sitter who moves into our house, so they can at least be in familiar surroundings. But, I must say, I am always anxious to get back home to see them!

We have 3 Brittany dogs (1 is a beautiful 'rescue' dog), and a cat. We always have somebody take care of our 'babies' (in our house) while we're away. But our cat hates strangers and usually hides under the house while we're away. He'll sneak in at night, just to eat, then 'hightails' it back under the house till we come home. The worst part of vacationing: leaving our beloved pets at home. Life would be much simpler without all the hastle of owning pets, but they certainly enrich and complete our lives.

That is so cool....3 Britt's! Our 13 year old Brittany is a rescue....our daughter and her BF found our Britt running in traffic, brought her to the nearest police station, after trying to find her owner, and finally brought her home to me as the police told her that after 2 weeks, and no rescue, they'd have to put her down. The vet determined she was only 8 to 12 weeks old. We advertised, no one called, so almost 13 years later, she's still with us! Actually, after 3 or 4 days in the beginning, I wasn't willing to give her up.

I LOVE this thread. Our furpals are definitely a huge part of our family. I, too, bring their photos with us on a cruise and they sit next to those of our grandkids! :p

I agree. I am crazy without my scottie! He goes fishing with me, goes to work with me, and goes to the package store with me. I'd be lost without MacLeod. My buddy. I call him my "fella". Crazy, but it's true. Oh, and, yes, I am crazy about my dog. :D

I love your pictures, what cuties. :) Being a cat lover, I'm in heaven -- for 2 weeks I'm taking care of my neighbor's cat, DD and SIL's 2 kittens, plus my own. :D

THANK YOU SO MUCH!! ;)

I will attach a couple more! :) I like this thread! So many great animal lovers here!

We REALLY miss them while we are away! My parents come to our house every day to play with them, but they are just as happy to see us as we are to see them when we return from a cruise!;)

649842484_ActDumbfortheCameraRylee.jpg.ab628f63aa691f071a1279d8d178e36d.jpg

1376547290_whatchalookinat.jpg.7df8c5fc109873c63e36d6b26fcad593.jpg

712798203_catplay.jpg.84066daa841836b554d13043af3b0c6f.jpg

Archived