group cruise "group leader"??

Wondering if any of you have experience with group cruising with Celebrity, and specifically with doing the coordinating. Here's why I ask:

I'm coordinating a group cruise for some fellow travellers/friends. Cruise is in a few months, so my TA (useless) just sent me dining info from Celebrity on my passengers so that I can say who should be grouped together in the MDR.

All is well there, except that on the header information, the group title has the name we gave to our group for booking purposes... but the "group leader" is some guy I've never heard of, and has a cabin associated with his name which doesn't belong to any of us.

He does NOT appear in the actual list of my guests for dining purposes, nor has he appeared anywhere on the cabin lists that my TA has gotten from Celebrity and forwarded over to me.

I've emailed my TA, but I don't trust her to be either forthcoming or competant, and so don't expect a real answer. Therefore I'm wondering if any of you know who the "group leader" might be? I'd be pretty annoyed if my TA were slipping perks to someone other than me/my guests based on my group numbers or something like that.

(I'd wondered if she somehow made it a larger group and signed up other pax inside our group and this is someone at the agency, but again, no one else is listed on the cabin list or dining info, and we actually didn't get a better rate than the Celebrity site shows, so without fully knowing how it works I tend to doubt that's the case)

Any thoughts or knowledge-based speculation would be appreciated!

Wondering if any of you have experience with group cruising with Celebrity, and specifically with doing the coordinating. Here's why I ask:

I'm coordinating a group cruise for some fellow travellers/friends. Cruise is in a few months, so my TA (useless) just sent me dining info from Celebrity on my passengers so that I can say who should be grouped together in the MDR.

All is well there, except that on the header information, the group title has the name we gave to our group for booking purposes... but the "group leader" is some guy I've never heard of, and has a cabin associated with his name which doesn't belong to any of us.

He does NOT appear in the actual list of my guests for dining purposes, nor has he appeared anywhere on the cabin lists that my TA has gotten from Celebrity and forwarded over to me.

I've emailed my TA, but I don't trust her to be either forthcoming or competant, and so don't expect a real answer. Therefore I'm wondering if any of you know who the "group leader" might be? I'd be pretty annoyed if my TA were slipping perks to someone other than me/my guests based on my group numbers or something like that.

(I'd wondered if she somehow made it a larger group and signed up other pax inside our group and this is someone at the agency, but again, no one else is listed on the cabin list or dining info, and we actually didn't get a better rate than the Celebrity site shows, so without fully knowing how it works I tend to doubt that's the case)

Any thoughts or knowledge-based speculation would be appreciated!

The only person who can really tell you is your TA. Ask to speak to a supervisor is you can't get the info from the TA. Sounds like they may have given the free cabin to someone outside your group. When you set the group up did you get the contract with amenities listed?

The only person who can really tell you is your TA. Ask to speak to a supervisor is you can't get the info from the TA. Sounds like they may have given the free cabin to someone outside your group. When you set the group up did you get the contract with amenities listed?

Yep. Sorry, I should've clarified that. We did already get credit for our two free berths... I'm just wondering if a third was available, given that after we'd already booked there was a promo for "new bookings only" giving 3 berths for our size instead of two. But other than that remote possibility everything seems to be on the up and up, which is why I'm totally perplexed about who this guy could be and whether or not I should feel like I'm having one pulled over on me/us :-)

Update: My TA is saying 'he's the dining coordinator' (though she can't really explain why he'd be listed as 'group leader'). Is this at all reasonable, does anyone know? Is there actually a "dining coordinator" onboard in addition to the rest of the dining staff?

Perhaps I'm just being paranoid...

Yep. Sorry, I should've clarified that. We did already get credit for our two free berths... I'm just wondering if a third was available, given that after we'd already booked there was a promo for "new bookings only" giving 3 berths for our size instead of two. But other than that remote possibility everything seems to be on the up and up, which is why I'm totally perplexed about who this guy could be and whether or not I should feel like I'm having one pulled over on me/us :-)

Update: My TA is saying 'he's the dining coordinator' (though she can't really explain why he'd be listed as 'group leader'). Is this at all reasonable, does anyone know? Is there actually a "dining coordinator" onboard in addition to the rest of the dining staff?

Perhaps I'm just being paranoid...

It sounds like you were given all the perks promised to you by Celebrity for organizing a group. You got the credit for your 2 free berths and will get any amenity you selected with the GAP points. Once the contract is made, your TA cannot get future promos because this was not a new booking. That being said, your TA can certainly add cabins and passengers to the group booking that are not travelling with you. They are entitled to any amenity that is associated with the group and if they are a group of 8 cabins or more, they can get the additonal free berth. Its all on the up and up and your TA will not be taking any amenity away from your friends and family group.

Archived