Offered an upgrade--can you help me decide?

We're on the Eurodam, Baltic, July 12th. Currently we have a cabin VE 5082. Seemed pretty decent to us. We've been offered an upgrade to SS 6089 for $549 pp.

Good deal? Mediocre? What do you think? We didn't originally go with a SS cabin frankly because this is a pretty port-intensive itinerary and we generally don't expect to spend much time in our cabin. (In the same light, when we go to Hawaii we get a garden view room because, so to speak, we're 'never home'). But it may be too good of a deal to pass up.

What do you all think?:confused:

We're on the Eurodam, Baltic, July 12th. Currently we have a cabin VE 5082. Seemed pretty decent to us. We've been offered an upgrade to SS 6089 for $549 pp.

Good deal? Mediocre? What do you think? We didn't originally go with a SS cabin frankly because this is a pretty port-intensive itinerary and we generally don't expect to spend much time in our cabin. (In the same light, when we go to Hawaii we get a garden view room because, so to speak, we're 'never home'). But it may be too good of a deal to pass up.

What do you all think?:confused:

The SS will have more room than a VE, both in the cabin and on the verandah ... but the SS does not qualify for suite perks such as unlimited laundry, Neptune Lounge, etc.

The list price difference between an SS and a VE on that cruise is $1300 pp, so the price offered is pretty good.

We didn't spend much time in the cabin or on the verandah on our Baltic cruise, and we would choose to spend the $1098 elsewhere ... like excursions!! :)

Right now online the difference in cost in a balcony cabin and a suite looks to be about $800 per person so the $549 would be less than if you were booking new. Plus if you take the upgrade but make sure that they mark you as available for future upgrades you might get a "free" upgrade to an SC, SB or SA suite if the cruise isn't selling well.

On the other hand $1100 can buy a lot of wine and other goodies while you are on the cruise and as you mentioned this is very port intensive cruise so you might get to spend a lot of time in your nicer suite cabin.

Tough call. I suspect I would go for it but then they didn't ask me.

Have a great next cruise whatever you decide.

For a 10 night cruise I would personally rate this as a mediocre offer. Sure, it’s a lot cheaper than if you booked a SS to start with, but have been hearing reports of $299 pp for this kind of up sell. But who really knows.:confused:

Good luck,

John

I think the money could be better spent on other things. Although it would be nice to have the extra "ramble" room, the upsell price seems a bit high. If they came down to, say, $200 pp, then, maybe.... Enjoy your cruise!!!

It is not too good a deal to pass up. We are doing a 12 day port intensive later this year, and like you went for a verandah stateroom as we will not be there much. I think if I was made this offer on this cruise, I would pass on it.

Gary

Thanks guys (and gals). Very helpful!! I also looked up the SS room just now and noticed it's my worst nightmare--right by a bank of elevators. In my book that's horrific (I have nightmares of every single conference where I get stuck in the hall room at the Hilton next to the elevators, and hear that damn "chime" all night, along with giggling parties all night long, who chose to congregate in front of my door).

And like you all said, $1100 is a bit steep and could buy us some Alvar Aalto vases when we're in Helsinki! So I'm going to pass. Appreciate all your help!

For a 10 night cruise I would personally rate this as a mediocre offer. Sure, it’s a lot cheaper than if you booked a SS to start with, but have been hearing reports of $299 pp for this kind of up sell. But who really knows.:confused:

Good luck,

John

I have to agree with John, I would pass for only 10 days that is steep. I would hange in I got bets you get another offer ;)

Archived