Passport Expires 5 months after?

I have probably confused the issue even more, but for what it's worth... If you are using your passport only to prove citizenship and ID, then the expiration date is not very important. If you are using your passport to gain entry into a country that requires a passport, then the expiration date is something you should consider more carefully.

Theron

I know I am probably beating an already very dead horse but please bear with me as I am still very new to all this cruising info. We are planning to use our passports for our March 2010 cruise. Kids passports expire Oct 15th. I know that we don't need them per se for the cruiseline (though it is recommended).My concern is that if we had to fly back to the US (unexpectedly) would the fact that the kids passports were within the 6 month period pose any problems for them (us)?

P.s. Am I thinking too much?!?!?!

That not only makes sense, it's smart! If you pay for a 10 year passport, you should be able to use it for 10 years, not 9 and a half! :)

Theron

Unfortunately the US doesnt work that way. I had 5 1/2 months left on mine when I went to Asia last year. I had no problems in Korea or Hong Kong. I sent it in a little while after I got back. It still had 3 months left, but my new passport was good for exactly 10 years. No credit applied.

I know I am probably beating an already very dead horse but please bear with me as I am still very new to all this cruising info. We are planning to use our passports for our March 2010 cruise. Kids passports expire Oct 15th. I know that we don't need them per se for the cruiseline (though it is recommended).My concern is that if we had to fly back to the US (unexpectedly) would the fact that the kids passports were within the 6 month period pose any problems for them (us)?

P.s. Am I thinking too much?!?!?!

Probably not. But should something else happen and you were delayed getting back into the US for 6 months it might be problem.

Archived