Insurance via Carnival,Private,or None?

Micktooth

I am still undecided upon whether to purchase cruise insurance. I would like to hear some opinions on if it is necessary. If so do you recommend going thru Carnival or a private company. Thanks for all of your advice.

Dave

I am still undecided upon whether to purchase cruise insurance. I would like to hear some opinions on if it is necessary. If so do you recommend going thru Carnival or a private company. Thanks for all of your advice.

Dave

insuremytrip.com uses about 65 policies and compares them for you.

Steve

I always purchase it (never the Cruiseline) and have had to use it on 5 different cruises.

I know some people will tell you that you don't need it if you are young and healthy, but being young and healthy isn't always a guarentee.

My sister was 36 and healthy. She died of a massive heart attack the morning after we returned from our cruise last Christmas. She had no prior warning signs...in fact for several days her death was "unexplained" because all of the tests ran at the hospital prior to her death were negative for a heart attack.

I couldn't agree more! It's worth the additional expense. I also used insuremytrip.com, their prices were much more competitive and we were able to select exactly the type of insurance we wanted. I feel the Carnival insurance is far too pricey for the policy type given. Beth

Cruiser@Heart. VEry sorry for your loss. I too had my first heart attack at age 36. After three more, triple bypass, three stints and a implantable defibrilator, still going fairly strong at 65 and cruising every chance I get.

Insurance? I never leave home without it.

I'm relatively young (31) and very healthy, but still bought insurance for our first cruise. I just kep thinking about how broke I'd be if I injured myself in the middle of nowhere and had to be flown back to the States in a chopper! Most medical insurance doesn't cover stuff like that.

I'm drawing a blank as to the company I used, but it definitely wasn't the cruise line.

Just bought insurance last night for our very first cruise. It's very easy using insuremytrip.com to compare policies. And it's just not you to consider. If you have an elderly parent that is taken ill (or worse) and you have to cancel your crusie, you can be covered. It is not all that expensive, and to me, worth every penny. One less thing to worry about.

For those with pre-existing conditions; be sure to purchase insurance 2-3 weeks (depending on policies) within initial deposit so those conditions will be covered. I have read on here where even TA's don't understand that policy. That is truly frightening. Do your homework, read CC and you will know what is best for you.

always insure any trip with an independent source, just in case the company goes out of business (like buying it from a travel agent).

and accidents happen - not just poor health. a co-worker just got back from a cruise where a fellow passenger got bit by an eel and needed stitches. and then there are broken bones, missed flights, lots of other reasons you need insurance.

Archived