Early evening party bars in P.V.?

Bob7

We sail from P.V. at 11pm, and wondered if anyone knows which party bars in Puerto Vallarta get going with the music around 8? ... are you there Pam or Bzy Brenda? Good reviews for the Zoo, Mogambo, Senor Frog's, Carlos O'Brians, Hilo, Vieja Vallarta, La Bodeguita, but don't know their hours. What do you think of Desantos? If you can help with this we'll bring you a snowball from Canada!

-Bob

Bob, Snowballs for info...very clever! I could offer tumbleweeds for info.

I am so glad the ship stays in PV until 11. When we sailed on the Legend of the Seas, a few years back, we left PV at dinnertime. As you know my cruise partner is only 14 so I guess I won't be dancing on the tables with you!:D This should be an interesting cruise...spring break and St. Patty's Day.

We have 6 registered for M&M.

Jill

I escaped 30 years of MinneSNOWta for Vallarta!:D

Most bars do not start hopping until at least 10:00 PM. Desantos does not even open before 10:00PM for the disco and the roof top terrazo. (The restaurant is open)

Club 69/Magambo/Kahlua are open, but mainly people having a drink and people watching on the Malecon. Usually these places pick up a little around 9:00 PM or so, but still, the action is later. The Zoo doesn't get really busy until after midnight, same with Hilo and Carlos O'Brians. I don't think the band starts at Bodeguita del Medio until after 9:00 or 10:00 PM....You could try Victor's Cafe Tacuba in the Marina, where it isn't a disco, they serve cheap beer and shots of tequila and people have a lot of fun there earlier in the night before they head off to Christine's or Collage.

Granted, you will find people at the Malecon bars, but the party does not start until later.

Of course, you could bring the party with you to any of the bars, and start the night off right :)

Whoa, I'm typing a reply and it disappeared into cyberspace, hope 2 don't show up :-((

Jill yer going to have to set a good example for your daughter, why don't you be our ship "designated driver"? ... (or "designated herder" would be more accurate). You'd be the ship hero! Just grab us by the ear and yank us back on board!

Brenda thx! You didn't mention Sr. Frogs, do you know when their music starts? The problem with bringing the party from the ship is that we have to see all those party animals at the pool the next day ... so embarrassing. ... (for them, not me).

Ok I can see yer not impressed by a snowball. It's going to have to be something else tall and cool, perhaps with a straw and a little umbrella and an olive?

-Bob

I brought my nieces and newphew to Frog's about a year and a half ago around 8:00 PM, we were the only customers there, and the kids( 15, 16, 17) were excited to be there so they could buy T-shirts and trinkets with the logo on it. Of course, they also had a virgin strawberry margarita each and got to keep the giant plastic yard glass. Iam now the world's coolest Auntie in their eyes.

10:00 PM or so is when Frog's picks up, but with any bar, as soon as a handful of people show up, they will start music and such.

Hard Rock has some good bands in town in the next month, but again, they usually do not start until after 10:00 PM.

There is a new bar, Bebo Tero, from Guadalajara and Tepic, live music (rock) seven days a week.

I suggest gettig a big enough group and walking down the Malecon and see which place looks best to you, then asking for the DJ to get the party started:)

Actually, I think I will take the snowball, can you send it down about mid-July when it is close to 3000 degrees here? :D

Hey that's what Aunties are for, to show 'em a bit about life ... even if you are a bit naughty :-) What was that movie? ... "Travels with my Aunt" or something, can't remember, might have been Meryl Streep.

And hey, you wouldn't be planning anything naughty with this snowball would ya? .... it's so tempting to stick it down someone's shorts on a hot day, and in a minute the evidence is gone, the perfect crime!

When we were in PV last May we hung out in Club 69 in the earlier evening then made our way to some of the other clubs. It was a great place to watch the sunset, listen to the music and watch the people. The music was good. You probably won't be there late enough to see Carlos O'briens and the Zoo and all the others in their true form. However, don't let this deter you, just head down the Malecon and "bar hop" until you find the right one. Thats what we did!

PV is a fun town. We stayed out of town in Nuevo Vallarta and just went in to party a couple of times. We all agreed we were getting to old to do it every night like we did 10 years ago when we stayed in town and could walk to the bars and stumble (quite literally home)!

Be careful of the sidewalks there, some of them are a couple feet above the road, this makes for some dangerous stumbling!!! Take it from me if that bush wouldn't have been there to break the fall....

I'm in the process of planning this May's trip and decided to check the boards Can't wait to go again.

deb

If the bars are not really going until later in the evening, what is there to do in town at night? Are the shops open? I imagine they would be to grab that tourist dollar, but just wondering if it was worth going back into town at night if there wasn't much to do...

Laurie

Hey Deb thx for the drinking tips! It's good that we're going before you this time (March) in case you drink the place dry. Hard to tell if it's yer superior coordination that landed you in the soft bush, or just great luck. Not sure if we should mention yer name to the bartenders along the Malecon ... it might get us thrown out? :-)

-Bob

No the bush "stumble" was in my younger days during our first trip to PV and it was the lack of coordination and a good friend that helped me into it! I think we were trying to drink the bars dry on that trip! Now, I'm getting too old. PV is a fun night town though!

Enjoy

Deb

Go to Cuates Y Cuetes on Los Muertos Beach, to the right of the pier for sunset happy hour. 2 for one drinks, sunset and the usual suspects. My group meets there every Friday (visitors in town at the time) and we have a good time....

When facing the ocean/pier it is the first bar on your right. They usually start live music right after sunset:) Drinks are decent, and cheap enough.

If you face the pier and go left, walk past the first big white building, cross the little bridge and go to the Lazy Lizzard, another great sunset bar, good food, and 5 beers in a bucket for 50 pesos! They sometimes have live music as well.

You are in the heart of the best area of Vallarta!

Be sure to swing by Andale's on Olas Altas, while it picks up around 10:00 PM there are sometimes a bunch of partiers earlier...and if the burro is there, you can ride him around the bar for a few bucks!

Archived