Alaska June 20-27 on Golden Princess - need help planning our port days!

BeckyTX

Hi all,

I have read a lot of good information on this board, but I am a little overwhelmed! I am traveling with my parents and husband to Juneau, Ketchican, Skagway, and Victoria.

Things we would like to do: fishing excursion (not sure the best port or vendor to do this with... we just want a half day or a mornign, not an 8 hour fishing trip), some sightseeing on our own, and a cool tour or two. We would like a mix of some things that are inexpensive or free and also do some that might cost a little more for something great. I know that many people have posted that the flying to the glacier thing is really cool, but I think that is a little too pricey. Whales - I could take or leave but I would love to see bears. Really, we are just open to good suggestions and sort of up for anything! I am not really interested in renting a car but it could be an option.

I have seen so much on individual ports, but I am wondering how you guys would suggest breaking it up between the ports (ie which one is the best to take a taxi tour, which is best to do a cool excursion, where is the best fishing, what would be best for a relaxed day of sightseeing on our own, etc.)

Thanks so much for reading and please do let me know your ideas! I would like to book with the tour operators direct (and no Princess), so I know that I need to get this done in the next day or two!

Just got off the Golden. Really the only 2 ports that you will have alot of time at is Juneau and Skagway. Both are really great ports. Put you money and time into those ports.

In Ketchikan, the ship is only there for a short time and you'll be told to be back on ship by 11:45 am. Either do a walking tour on your own using free information from the visitors center or walk over to the lumberjack show which is only a few blocks from where the ship docks. You can sign up for this through the ship or when you get there, the price was the same. After you get off there are also a few private tours available to sign up for, just remember the time is short. We used this stop as our shopping stop and walked over to Creek street. At Creek street there is a short tram you can take for $2 per person that will take you up higher to an area with great views and several totem poles.

For Victoria, there is a tram for $6 per person, round trip at the pier that will take you into town. Its a fun town to walk around and there are street performers over by the Empress hotel.

There are alot of options for Skagway and Juneau. All depends on your interests. I'd do a search on these boards to read reviews of tour/activites at these ports. This is where you should definately do an excursion or have something planned other than just staying around the town all day. In Juneau, you can take a helicopter flight to the glacier if you can spend more money. If not, then take a shuttle to the visitors Center at Mendenhall glacier.

In Skagway,we did a hike and float excursion through Skagway Float tours (http://www.skagwayfloat.com) which we loved. It was much cheaper booking this through a private company than through Princess. We had fabulous weather tho. If the weather wasn't good I don't know if I would have enjoyed it as well. Check out their cancellation policy if this is a concern of yours. This is a wonderful hike, but not for everyone.

I totally agree with walking around Ketchikan -- get the walking tour map from the visitor centre.

I'd STRONGLY suggest a whale watching excursion in Juneau -- the best chance of seeing whales fairly close-up. Not sure about the timeframe for bears, if you search this forum you'll find info on several bear viewing tours.

In Skagway the National Parks Service does walking tours, you sign up at their office on Broadway. Also lots of hiking available around Skagway -- the NPS has maps of the hiking trails. You can also google and get some downloadable Skagway hiking maps. Skagway is VERY small, you really need to plan something/anything here, unless you are totally into shopping.

Mendenhall will take about 1 1/2 to 2 hours at the glacier, visitors's center and hikes. You can do it in less than 1 1/2 hours but you'll feel rushed if you want to do any of the hikes. The ride there is 20-30 minutes one way.

I'd do it with something else. Whale watching would be a great excursion and you could do both. We heard alot of great reviews from people who did the excursions that had dog sledding as part of the activity. Several people enjoyed the Mount Roberts tram. Do a search on these boards of Juneau and get an idea of what people enjoyed and didn't and the prices.

Also, in Skagway, heard very poor reviews from people who did the panning for gold, so i would avoid that excursion. They all said it was very childish, not well run, and not worth the money they paid.

Becky, my wife and I went to the Mendenhall Glacier on a local bus that we picked up right next to the pier. Stayed at the glacier for about an hour and returned on the same bus. Price was half of what Princess charged. Juneau is easy to get around with plenty of souvenir shops. We have also visited the museums in Ketchikan and Skagway with reasonable entrance fees. You will get a kick out of visiting Creek Street in Ketckikan and it is only a couple of blocks from the pier. My daughter and I will be on the Star Princess next week on the same itinerary. In Skagway, you should check out the Red Onion Saloon on the left side of the main street and sample the Alaska Amber Ale.

There is alot of shopping, but after a while its all basically the same thing and so many of the stores and the same things from port to port.

Juneau is fine to spend some time shopping, but there is so much more to do here that you can't do elsewhere.

If you don't want to do one of the more expensive excursions, less expensive ones might be to take a the Mount Roberts Tram which you can get just a few blocks from the cruise dock. Whale watching in Juneau is also a good excursion.

With your fishing priority, look for this booked in advance out of Ketchikan or Juneau. Don't waste time, trying to book this once there. You aren't likely to see any bears, unless you want to consider the costly Pack Creek fly ins out of Juneau. You are too early for tours out of Ketchikan.

There are walking tours available in each port, head to your library and take out Fodor's Alaska and Frommer's Alaska, both have listings. I suggest you do your homework, and narrow down your interests further. There are plenty of less costly tour options along with plenty of essentially free stuff in each port. I suggest you get your priority- tours booked first, like your fishting, THEN fill in the rest.

Archived