Fly in day OF or day BEFORE cruise?

D & D

OP.. this sounds like it has already been setteled for you, however just wanted to share how we plan it. Living in Dallas, when we plan a cruise, we always look at how much time it would take to drive to the port of embarkation if we got to the airport and for some reason flights were canceled. For instance, if we are sailing out of NY, LA or Miami, we would probably fly into those port cities two days before. That way, if we do get to the Dallas airport and for some reason flights were canceled, we have time to drive there with no worries. There are many many reasons flights can be canceled other than weather... pilot strikes, airport bomb threats,etc. It is just too much of a risk for us. We are sailing out of NY this coming Nov and are only going to be able to fly in the day before and I pray it works out for us. Worst comes to worst hopefully we could drive to NY non-stop if anything happens and not miss our cruise. Our vacations (especially a cruise) are too important to us and would honestly be a major disappointment if we missed it for some reason like a flight being delayed or canceled. For one reason it is just too hard for us to schedule vacations where we each work.

For LA, we got a great deal on one of the hotel discount website places for Cost Hotel in Long Beach. It was an AMAZINGLY great hotel for the price and a great location.

Hope you have an amazing STRESS FREE cruise.. 8-)

I would never suggest taking a connecting flight the day of the cruise. If you live at a hub and it's a nonstop, an early flight may be a reasonable risk, but not a connection. Too many flight, too many chances for things to go wrong.

How about doing some research and finding a hotel near the airport which has a free shuttle? Then the next morning, get a shared van ride to the port?

I was in LA recently and it only cost $15 each way on Super Shuttle to get from LAX to downtown.

For the small cost of a hotel and transportation to the pier, you will have a much less stressful beginning to your journey.

Do you want to arrive at the ship all wound up from a day of traveling, or rested and relaxed after a night's sleep in the hotel? If there is just 2 of you, I bet you could fit in the hotel, transportation, and meals etc for $150 if you shop carefully. I think my hotel in LA was $66 a night, and it was pretty nice.

I feel much more confortable flying in the day before, we travel from New York to Miami for our cruises. Even in the summer months high winds can delay a flight for hours. I would never fly in the day of the cruise in the winter months. I know it's cheaper but you won't lose sleep over it. There are plenty of inexpensive hotels everywhere and you won't jeopardize the money you spent on the cruise.:) Try to find a hotel with free transfers from the airport and to the port the next morning.

I love arriving a day early. I usually wear something on the plane that still looks nice but I am tired of and was ready to give to Goodwill. The day I arrive I like to check out the port, have a nice meal and hit the sack early. It is great to wake up well rested and get to the port early. I like to be on the ship and watch everyone else boarding while I am on deck sipping a cold one.

Besides, I have had my luggage lost on more than one occasion. The extra day helps.

We are scheduled to cruise on the Norwegian Jewel out of Miami on Feb 7, 2010. I just realized this is the day of the Superbowl and it will be played in Miami. In this case I don't think flying in the day before will be an option. I don't think the flight will be a problem as most people going to the game will already be there. So in this case what do you think would be the best option. We will be flying from Boston. Had thought of using Jet Blue to Ft Lauderdale since I have some credits to use up. It will probably be early July before those flights are posted.

Flying into Fort Lauderdale the day before is very easy. I have done it frequently as it is less cost than Miami usually. If only 2 of you, you can take GO transportation and they will drive you to your hotel. If you fly in the day of the cruise, they will take you to the ship. Even so, do not know how traffic will be the day of the cruise with Superbowl in town.

If not Miami flight the day before, take Fort Lauderdale, then stay at one of the Bayside Marketplace hotels. Go Transportation will take you to there for 18-20 dollars per person. A cab from Fort Lauderdale can range between 75-95 dollars depending on traffic. Once at Bayside hotel, the cab ride to ship is very cheap as you are right there. Once you are on the Jewel you can sign up for the bus transfer return to Fort Lauderdale airport for about 20 per person.

Have fun on the Jewel!

coka

coka

I have a flight the same day out of Houston to Boston in October. It is non-stop and scheduled for 7:15 AM. Cruise is 5PM. Now I am worried too. If I had a connecting flight I would have gone the day before because of the increased chance of problems arising. I guess they would charge an arm and a leg to change it now and I had a good price. Hope I don't regret it.

I have a flight the same day out of Houston to Boston in October. It is non-stop and scheduled for 7:15 AM. Cruise is 5PM. Now I am worried too. If I had a connecting flight I would have gone the day before because of the increased chance of problems arising. I guess they would charge an arm and a leg to change it now and I had a good price. Hope I don't regret it.

Non stop is not bad! Going on early flight better! October...no chance of winter storms. Get a window seat so you can see the pretty New England foliage.

Not sure where your ship is going...Bermuda or Canada...worst case scenario if miss ship, you can drive to next port in Maine or take a flight to Bermuda. Extra cost not too bad.

All will be well!

coka

Day before for many reasons.

Less Stress

Visit the new city

Don;t miss the first day on the ship

For those that say book through NCL cause they will make sure you get there...bull hockey..... if the flight misses the ship, you miss the ship. Sure, they might get you to the next port, but you are MISSING THE CRUISE.

Hello!!??

A guy my husband worked with won a wonderful all-expenses paid incentive trip and because of his wife's work, they left from Halifax on a Saturday, with a connection through Boston, planning to arrive with about 3 hours to spare in Miami. They got diverted to NYC, and missed the ship.

They had to meet their cruise ship two days later. Their clothes never caught up. I've never forgotten their story and don't take a chance.

Viv

We are scheduled to cruise on the Norwegian Jewel out of Miami on Feb 7, 2010. I just realized this is the day of the Superbowl and it will be played in Miami. In this case I don't think flying in the day before will be an option. I don't think the flight will be a problem as most people going to the game will already be there. So in this case what do you think would be the best option. We will be flying from Boston. Had thought of using Jet Blue to Ft Lauderdale since I have some credits to use up. It will probably be early July before those flights are posted.

Its not the number of people that will already be in Miami that will be the problem, the problems with flying are weather conditions (Feb equals snow or ice if you live in a area that is cold), airport electrical problems or plane mechanical problems that cause most delays. As almost all posters have indicated flying in the day of a cruise has almost no wiggle room if you experience delays. Paying for a cruise and then not making the sailing starts off your vacation on the wrong foot, why plan that potential from the start.

We had a four day on the Sky, From Indiana in January. I worried for months about what the weather would be like the day of the cruise.:confused: We have Kids, so we struggled to find a babysitter that would be there for five days, and decided to fly the day of, leaving on the first flight of the day, connecting in Atlanta, arriving at 10am in Miami. Weather was not too bad, some snow, but first flight of the day, left on time, no problems in ATL. Arrived early and then found out that even though we were two hours early to the airport, our luggage is nowhere to be found...:eek:

Delta could not get anyone in Indy to answer, and their tracking showed our bags still in the luggage room in Indy!:eek:

Turns out the numbers the MIA agent had were for the old Indianapolis airport, not the new one which opened two months prior.

We filed our claim, and took a cab to our cruise on in O/S. I spent another hour explaining to the front desk on the Sky our problem:mad: - in case our luggage arrived at the port before departure. We tried to enjoy embarkation day, but with only the clothes on our backs and swimwear, we were worried. At 5pm, as the final boarding call was taking place, our bags were dropped off at our door. Never been so relieved. NEVER AGAIN. Stress needs to be low to enjoy a vacation. Next time fly in the night before and take delays in stride. Here is my review:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=51327

and a clip:

Delta Airlines lost both my checked bags somewhere between the counter and the plane in Indy. We checked in over an hour early for the first flight of the day, but it still happened. The new terminal (2 months old) might have contributed. When they didn't show in Miami, we checked and there was no record in Atlanta either. We left with our carry-on in a cab not knowing if we would ever see our luggage - glad we had one change of clothes, but no CPAP, no Rx's, no toiletries… Not stress-free at this point…

...As I wanted to ensure they knew our bags were delayed I went to reception to inform them. It became quite the ordeal as instead of just acknowledging that the luggage was going to join us at some point, we went through an entire claim form process and the hostess needed me to write addresses etc on a scrap of paper so she could fill in the forms. Then we had to wait 20 minutes of more for copies to be made… I was about to just leave my claim checks and get going, but finally we were released.

...Just as the ship began to pull away from the pier, our lost luggage appeared at the cabin door. NOW I was on vacation! :)

Please settle a slight dispute my DH and I are having: I say we fly into LAX the day before our cruise "for safety sake". However, DH says to save $ on hotel, meals, taxi, etc, we should fly in on the first flight of the day (arriving LAX 9:45 AM, cruise leaves at 4 PM). I can ALMOST agree with him except our flight connects in DENVER -- in JANUARY! Can you see my reason for anxiety :eek: ? What is your experience, recommendations?

Thanks!

We've cruised since 2003 and always flew to the port on the same day. This year, being we were flying to L.A. from N.Y. we decided to fly the day before; and, we will be doing this day-before for all future cruises. Here's what happen to us one year. We had an early flight out of JFK, NY, I think it was at 7 or 8 AM. The ship was to leave Miami port at 4 PM. More than enough time, we thought. We were delayed out of JFK because of equipment problems. When we got to Miami, our plane couldn't get to a terminal because they were all flilled with prior (scheduled) flights. So, we had to wait on the tarmac until a terminal freed up. Bottom line, we got to the port a little after 3 PM; too close. Since then, we've always booked a day-before flight. To play it safe, I'd book a flight the day before, expecially if you have a connecting flight. Happy Cruising!!:o

This is a no brainer. You are on VACATION! It will be winter (read flight delays and cancellations). Even if everything goes well, which it seldom does, you will be too tired/stressed to do anything and will have wasted the first day of you cruise. We always fly out 2 days before. Flying out of Milwaukee in the winter is an iffy proposition.

If money is an issue you may have no choice. There are other valid reasons too but if you can swing it, go early. You will be glad you did which means DH will be glad he did too. :)

We Always fly in 2 days before and 1 day after when schedule allows . Its so nice to be able to wind down before embarking and the last day of the cruise is always a mess at the airport . Plus if you use FF miles theres always more flights available a day or so before and after the weekend. ;)

First thing I would do is find a non-stop from Houston to Lax and forget about going through Denver! With Denver in January, one day early may not be enough!

To all cruisers who are going to fly in the day of and start worrying about it from booking to embarkation: think about this - you are ALREADY stressing about missing your cruise months ahead - how many more worry moments will you have before you sail? Isn't piece of mind for months worth a couple of hundred dollars? My motto is to avoid worry if you can fix the problem - and it is within you power to fix it - so fix it!

Please settle a slight dispute my DH and I are having: I say we fly into LAX the day before our cruise "for safety sake". However, DH says to save $ on hotel, meals, taxi, etc, we should fly in on the first flight of the day (arriving LAX 9:45 AM, cruise leaves at 4 PM). I can ALMOST agree with him except our flight connects in DENVER -- in JANUARY! Can you see my reason for anxiety :eek: ? What is your experience, recommendations?

Thanks!

I would never do a connecting flight the day of the cruise. First, direct, flight of the day arriving 8 hrs before departure - OK. Anything else - no thanks.

The cab is what the cab is and may even be less if you can get a hotel with a free shuttle a couple of miles from the airport or seaport. I think I've seen one way car rental threads for LAX that may give you a chance to enjoy LA and it might be cheaper then a cab. The evening meal does not have to be expensive either.

I would never suggest taking a connecting flight the day of the cruise. If you live at a hub and it's a nonstop, an early flight may be a reasonable risk, but not a connection. Too many flight, too many chances for things to go wrong.

How about doing some research and finding a hotel near the airport which has a free shuttle? Then the next morning, get a shared van ride to the port?

I was in LA recently and it only cost $15 each way on Super Shuttle to get from LAX to downtown.

For the small cost of a hotel and transportation to the pier, you will have a much less stressful beginning to your journey.

Do you want to arrive at the ship all wound up from a day of traveling, or rested and relaxed after a night's sleep in the hotel? If there is just 2 of you, I bet you could fit in the hotel, transportation, and meals etc for $150 if you shop carefully. I think my hotel in LA was $66 a night, and it was pretty nice.

I would never do a connecting flight the day of the cruise. First, direct, flight of the day arriving 8 hrs before departure - OK. Anything else - no thanks.

The cab is what the cab is and may even be less if you can get a hotel with a free shuttle a couple of miles from the airport or seaport. I think I've seen one way car rental threads for LAX that may give you a chance to enjoy LA and it might be cheaper then a cab. The evening meal does not have to be expensive either.

Hey Dingo, Sorry I missed your post - great minds think alike!

Interesting question. Looking at this very issue for a cruise leaving Barcelona next February. Ordinarily a no brainer. Of course you go in the day before. However, in this case the flights for the day of "work" and the available flights the day before "don't work". The flight the day of the cruise is only 12.5 hours total duration compared to 16.5 hours total. The flight arriving the day of the cruise is also about $500 cheaper for a family of four. With the hotel for one night and meals in Barcelona its easily an $800 difference for a much longer ordeal. The decision is not quite as clear. Do I feel lucky....

P.

Thanks!

Definitely fly in the day before... I've experienced Winter to it's greatest when we missed all of our connections including our Cruise. Spent several hours in Airports trying to get the Cruises' next port of call... A true Nightmare until we reached our Cruise which we could finally enjoy.

We were sailing to Alaska (group of 17) from all across the u.s. out of seattle. My sister and I flew from Houston (she connected in Phx), mine straight through. She missed the boat due to a delay in Houston, which made her miss her connecting flight. She got to the port 30 min too late. She had to stay in Seattle for 2 days, and catch the cruise at the first port. She was so stressed by the time she did catch up she could never enjoy the rest of the cruise. I am going on this same cruise on 7/5 out of Seattle. We are flying in the day before.

Only times we have left on the day of the cruise was when we booked air through NCL. In that case if the plane is late they have to wait for us. Cost is a bit higher but there was the time they almost had an airline strike the week we were to leave. Several people had same reservations they had booked themselves but we knew that NCL would have us on another arline if the strike happened...

Try Priceline or Hotwire to save on your hotel. This cruise I booked a 4* hotel in Seattle for under $100 and another time I was lucky enough to stay in Miami for $30.

Archived