Lens fog, help!

I have read tons of threads and looked at hundreds of pictures, and have one question. How can I prevent my lens from fogging over in humid situations? On my last Caribbean cruise many of my pictures were through the fog, but this time I would like them crisp and clear. Then I can add the fog if desired.

The problem is one of temperature and humidity differential. When you go from cold and dry to warm and wet you get condensation on any glass surface.

The only cure is to allow your camera to become accustomed to it's new environment for a few minutes before attempting to take photos.

Bodger

I have read tons of threads and looked at hundreds of pictures, and have one question. How can I prevent my lens from fogging over in humid situations? On my last Caribbean cruise many of my pictures were through the fog, but this time I would like them crisp and clear. Then I can add the fog if desired.

The key to lens fogging is that your camera is colder than the environment. When you first leave the cabin or hotel room in the morning, the camera can be 20° or more cooler than the air. If it is humid, you will see immediate fogging. Even when on a tour in an air-conditioned car or bus, the AC can drop your camera below the dew point if it's a ways between stops.

To fix the hotel/cabin issue, I started traveling with a small reptile cage warmer (http://www.amazon.com/Reptitherm-Under-Heater-10-20-gallons/dp/B00076HTYC/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1244758995&sr=8-15) that I plug in and put into my bag at night to keep it at 85° to 95°. Not hot enough to hurt the camera, but plenty warm enough to prevent fogging.

When travelling for the day in a bus or car on tour, I hold the camera close to my body and cover it the best I can with a arm or hat.

Hope this helps! It has worked for me all over the Caribbean and Central America...and even in exotic places like Florida!

Dave

Lens fog is generally not an issue on Alaska cruises since you take the camera from somewhere warm outside to a cold balcony. The trouble is a caribbean cruise where the camera spends the night in your air conditioned cabin and you rush outside to 90 percent humidity. I keep the hair dryer plugged in and warm the objective (the front of the lens) and any filters before taking them outside. If fogging occurs I run back inside and hit it with the hair dryer. On sea days I leave my gear on the balcony all day and fogging is not a problem.

I'll only add that if you DO experience your lens or lenses fogging up due to condensation, you should understand that it's not only affecting the front and back lens surfaces, but also all the internal glass elements that makes up the lens.

You want to avoid taking a t'shirt, tie, coat sleeve.....or even a Kleenex.....and wiping the front lens surface. Doing so may scratch the very delicate coating on the lens and it won't take get rid of the fog on the inside of the lens, anyway.

Only use lens tissue or cloths designed for lenses if you must wipe the front and back lens surfaces.

Archived