haifa to jerusalem by taxi

lindashak

I would like to know if I can get a taxi at the dock in haifa that will take me to a hotel in Jerusalem. Does anyone know how much that would cost?

I was recently quoted a price of 650 NIS for a cab ride from a Jerusalem suburb to the Haifa port. That's about $170 (depending on the current dollar-shekel rate). You'd probably need to add another 50 shekel or more to get to downtown Jerusalem.

[The cab ride is expensive because, depending on the time of day/traffic, it can take up to four hours to travel between the Haifa port and downtown Jerusalem (at the 'right' time of day, the trip might take just a bit over 3 hours). Additionally, the Haifa cab drivers would be concerned about not being able to get a fare for the return trip to Haifa.]

• 4 years later...
I was recently quoted a price of 650 NIS for a cab ride from a Jerusalem suburb to the Haifa port. That's about $170 (depending on the current dollar-shekel rate). You'd probably need to add another 50 shekel or more to get to downtown Jerusalem.

[The cab ride is expensive because, depending on the time of day/traffic, it can take up to four hours to travel between the Haifa port and downtown Jerusalem (at the 'right' time of day, the trip might take just a bit over 3 hours). Additionally, the Haifa cab drivers would be concerned about not being able to get a fare for the return trip to Haifa.]

Hi, can you tell me what taxi service you got your quote from? I'd like to be able to arrange service before we travel if possible.

Thanks,

Sabrina

Its about 95 miles+/-. 153km+/- But it depends on where to where. Taxi rates are about as follows.

To start the meter: 12 ILS+/-

Taxi rate depending on the time and traffic is about: 3 to 5 ILS per km.

So if you average 4 ILS per km it's about 624 ILS. One ILS is about 28 cents U.S. So it's going to be about $175+/-. But it could be as much as $200.

One time when we took that trip, the main road was nearly closed by protesters. It slowed everything way down. I would get some firm quotes in advance.

The train is not a viable alternative. You have to change in Tel Aviv and the onward train is very slow, infrequent and leaves you off in a very outlying area of Jerusalem. So you would need a bus or taxi from there

Depending on the amount of luggage an alternative would be the direct Haifa - Jerusalem CBS bus The price is 42 NIS

You would need a taxi/ bus from the port (it is close by) and then from the CBS in Jerusalem to the hotel.

So while there are cheaper ways out there than your taxi quote, adding in all the factors if have a number of people, it might be better to take the door to door taxi. By yourself, I would take the bus

The train is not a viable alternative. You have to change in Tel Aviv and the onward train is very slow, infrequent and leaves you off in a very outlying area of Jerusalem. So you would need a bus or taxi from there

Depending on the amount of luggage an alternative would be the direct Haifa - Jerusalem CBS bus The price is 42 NIS

You would need a taxi/ bus from the port (it is close by) and then from the CBS in Jerusalem to the hotel.

So while there are cheaper ways out there than your taxi quote, adding in all the factors if have a number of people, it might be better to take the door to door taxi. By yourself, I would take the bus

We took public transportation to (and back) from Haifa to Jerusalem last year. After much research decided on train/bus combo. Train to Tel Aviv - then walk across street to main bus station for bus to Jerusalem. We had considered taking a taxi back to port from Jerusalem when our cruise itinerary had changed from Ashdod to Haifa for second night. We got quotes of around $125 from our Arab Quarter hotel. Ended up taking the public transportation option back - it was pretty easy.

If OP is interested I'll try and dig up links to threads on TripAdvisor that recommend this route and give specific instructions. Also the Israel board on TripAdvisor is one of the best country boards - the folks there are very helpful. In fact, just look puzzled or lost anywhere in Israel and there will be someone offering to help you out - on street cars, looking at a map, or trying to find an ATM - Israeli's are very helpful.

We took public transportation to (and back) from Haifa to Jerusalem last year. After much research decided on train/bus combo. Train to Tel Aviv - then walk across street to main bus station for bus to Jerusalem.

That is a good idea and I am mad at myself for not thinking of it.

However to tweek it a bit, it would be better to get off the train at Savidor station which is the second stop in Tel Aviv after University, and just go outside and pick up the 480 express bus to Jeruaslem. I assume that you went to the Haganah Station and then walked to the Central Bus Station. My way has a lot less walking

You can also take the direct Haifa Jerusalem bus

We took public transportation to (and back) from Haifa to Jerusalem last year. After much research decided on train/bus combo. Train to Tel Aviv - then walk across street to main bus station for bus to Jerusalem.

That is a good idea and I am mad at myself for not thinking of it.

However to tweek it a bit, it would be better to get off the train at Savidor station which is the second stop in Tel Aviv after University, and just go outside and pick up the 480 express bus to Jeruaslem. I assume that you went to the Haganah Station and then walked to the Central Bus Station. My way has a lot less walking

You can also take the direct Haifa Jerusalem bus

I think we did do the Savidor station (name rings a bell) and just walked across the street to catch the express bus at something that looked like a minor station (nothing like the major station in Jerusalem).

Actually the most difficult thing was getting shekals for the bus. Used instructions from Tripadvisor (and helpful Israeli's on the street) to try and find an ATM in Haifa, but it ended up not accepting our bank cards. I know of another couple from our ship that was doing the same thing (a DIY to Jerusalem for overnight) and they had the same problem with their Canadian bankcards at the Haifa ATM's. However, there is an ATM in the Savidor station that accepted our cards. That was the only flaw in the Tripadvisor instructions - everyone said there was no ATM in Savidor.

We walked to the big market in Jerusalem from the bus station and caught a cab to our hotel from there. But, the easy to use light rail from outside the bus station would have also been an option. We took this on the return.

Archived