Hopefully a fun/info sharing thread

"Well we cruise in 2 weeks, so I won't be shy.

How DOES the DOD work?"

They have a different drink of the day each day. The first one is full priced and in some sort of souvenir glass. Any drink of the day after that is at a reduced price if you present your original souvenir glass. They will either wash your glass & reuse it or sometimes put it in a different glass. ;)

I am curious about pilot boat details also:D

Before my first cruise, I wish I had known....

About Cruise Critic

About the Supper Club

About the Fish & Chips

That we could eat lunch on Lido after we boarded

That we could arrive at the terminal much earlier than the time they tell you to

That we could save a lot of money with my DH's military discount

That aft wraps are my favorite cabins

That I can wear my every day clothes except in the dining room

That I can take a 12 pack of bottled water with me when I board

That I would love cruising as much as I do!

And probably another dozen things that don't come to mind right now.

Alot of great info and insight. Thanks to all who posted... but I would like to know what this pilot thing is??

Pilot refers to the Harbor Pilot who takes the ship out of habor to the ocean. A pilot is a mariner who has a special knowledge of a specific harbor. Once the ship has left harbor, the pilot leaves the vessel by jumping aboard a small harbor boat which takes him (or her) back to port.

Pilot refers to the Harbor Pilot who takes the ship out of habor to the ocean. A pilot is a mariner who has a special knowledge of a specific harbor. Once the ship has left harbor, the pilot leaves the vessel by jumping aboard a small harbor boat which takes him (or her) back to port.

If you yell "thank you!" they smile and waive back...My two DS love it.

The one thing I was glad I knew (I found CC BEFORE we sailed) was that the cappuchino in the DR was free. My mom had one every night and loved it.

Watching the pilot is one of our favorite things to do.

On my first cruise, I tried to do everything because I thought it was a once in a lifetime event. Silly me!:o Now I just relax and pick and choose.

Well before a ship enters a port, the Pilot boat comes out to meet the ship. It pulls alongside the still cruising ship. If the ship slows down at all, it is NOT by much. The crew opens one of the doors low down on the side of the ship and the Pilot jumps onto the ship! He goes to the bridge and takes charge of the ship until docking. The Pilot is in charge, but the Captain is still 'responsible.' Same thing happens when leaving the port. The Pilot commands until out of port then the Pilot boat [like an enclosed speedboat] comes alongside and he jumps onto the little boat. They do this for cruise ships AND cargo ships, IN ANY KIND OF WEATHER. The port can charge upwards of $2000.00 for each ship!

about the money that can be saved by drinking Fostor's [sp]..the Australian [sp] beer. Most of the beers on the ship are 12 oz...they have some 16 oz....but for the same price for a single beer you get 25.6 oz when you buy a Fostor. That is more than double a 12 0z..and 9 oz more than a 16 oz for the same price. And it tastes great.

Keep them coming.... You are all a wealth of knowledge!! My friends think I am crazy because I have a folder filled with all kinds of info. I get from you guys here on these boards but they will be thankfull when I give them their copies filled with info. to help them enjoy their cruise to its fullest. :o

I wish someone had told us that after that first cruise we would be totally addicted to cruising! We tried to take a land vacation once since then, and it was a bust. Cruising is the most relaxing way to vacation!

I wish I had known about cruise critic, getting addicted to cruising, rum runners, being able to bring your own water AND POP onboard, inside rooms on lower decks are'nt bad when you want to save money for other things, balcony rooms are the best, you NEVER, NEVER pay full price, you get OBC if you own Carnival stock, you get $50.00 credit if you book your next cruise within 60 days of your last cruise, on board internet is way too expensive and sucks, carnival has a coin operated laundry on every deck.

That's all I can think of right now!!

"Well we cruise in 2 weeks, so I won't be shy.

How DOES the DOD work?"

They have a different drink of the day each day. The first one is full priced and in some sort of souvenir glass. Any drink of the day after that is at a reduced price if you present your original souvenir glass. They will either wash your glass & reuse it or sometimes put it in a different glass. ;)

I am curious about pilot boat details also:D

Thanks so much. Now we're all set! LOL

I wish I had known how good the the aft-wrap cabins really are; we can't imagine going back to a regular balcony cabin.

I wish I had known about the military discount.

I wish I had known about the OBC due to price drops.

I wish I had listened about over-packing... I'm still working on this one :D.

Keep them coming.... You are all a wealth of knowledge!! My friends think I am crazy because I have a folder filled with all kinds of info. I get from you guys here on these boards but they will be thankfull when I give them their copies filled with info. to help them enjoy their cruise to its fullest. :o

Nodding and laughing here. My cousins teased me mercilessly for bringing a folder with all kinds of info in it. But, by golly, they knew who to ask when they had a question! They also teased me for bringing my rolling tote bag on board the first day, and on our shore excursions. But, the things I had in it came in very handy for everyone.

Archived