June 7th - First Triumph Cruise out of NY - Review

crusinmama06

Michelle

Fantistic review -the good,the bad and the ugly-mostly ugly as Carnival was unbeleviably BAD:eek:

You have been a tremoundous help for my up comming cruise -RCCL AOS 6/21;)

As well as this review which re affirmed the real truth about Carnival-the worst of the fleet.

had one of my wife's cousins telling us about his upcomming cruise on Carnival......:rolleyes:

Thanks again Michelle for your blogs and wonderful presence on cruise critic:)

So this review revealed the "real truth about Carnival"? :rolleyes: Seriously....you've never had a bad cruise on RCL? I have, also had some shaky experiences on CCL. But would not label either the worst of the fleet!

Michelle this is a great review and love the pics!

I don't think Michelle comes across as snobbish but I do think that the people on the RCI board spend alot of time bashing Carnival and I'm not sure why they waste their posting time putting down other cruiselines. Why is it necessary to bash other lines?! Don't get it!:(

I was just thinking that...I was fine with the review, great actually...its the "add ons" that have come along. Uneccessary.

Snobbish? I'm not sure I'd go that far, but some of the comments in the RCI thread rubbed me the wrong way, too.

Like this one?

As Gordon says, when you sail on a line where most of the pax are looking for a real cheap price, then you get a ship load of people who sail based strictly on the price.

As Gordon says, when you sail on a line where most of the pax are looking for a real cheap price, then you get a ship load of people who sail based strictly on the price.

First of all "Gordon" is someone who has probably done over 25 Carnival cruises, so I value his opinion.

And can you argue that point???? The cruise was $910 for 3 for a balcony cabin, can you honestly say that people didn't sail stricly based on price??? Heck, I picked it strictly based on PRICE.

So why would that comment rub you the wrong way? You are just looking for something to pick apart. I don't notice you over on the RCCL board arguing on that thread. I didn't make that comment. So why stay here and argue on mine? Feel free to take it to the RCCL board where the comment was made.

I was posting a review. The Carnival verses Royal arguments on Cruise Critic are as old as Cruise Critic. So if you want to argue about THAT thread, then how about taking it to THAT thread.

I think it is extremely sad that some people take bad reviews so personal they feel the need to resort to name calling. There is no call for that, whatsoever. You'd think the OP was writing a review on them, and not the cruise. :rolleyes:

I applaud the OP for posting an honest review and it is obvious that there is a lot of room for improvement on that ship.

I guess these people read right over the good things the OP said.

Michelle

First thanks so much for the review. You spent a lot of time on it and I thank you. Sorry if it was not totally to your liking but you should only do what is best for you and your family.

Please ignore the idiots here. You are a mom and you take great pride in doing your job and you are supposed to look out for the welfare of your kids. Anyone who thinks different is an idiot.

DW and I are Platimum cruiser on Carnival and have gone a number of times on RC. Like both but better value on Carnival IMHO.

Work hard for my money and why not get the best bang for the buck? Foolish not to.

BTW our kids are grown but have greatly enjoyed the Triumph on our two previous cruises on her going to the Caribbean. Cannot comment on the facilities for young children but we thought it was a very well run ship.

Do have a question for you as we are going on the Triumph for the third time in October but first one to Canada. Why did you use Shore Trips who connected you to Freedom tours instead of going direct?

Found out about Freedom tours on these boards and figure I should just go direct. Any reason not to?

Golfadj

Thanks for posting and sharing Michele!

We are on this 5 day in a few weeks. We did book it on NOT doing caribbean and on cost. When we booked, we wanted to find something that my brother could do too with a limited budget. As it turns out, he and his family will not be on the cruise at all but will meet us in NYC for a few days.

Four of our group of 10 have never cruised before and for them, even with mishaps, this will be a great trip for our family because of the attitudes we will all have and the fact that we will all be together.

I appreciate hearing about both the good and the bad. I will let you know if they get everything corrected when we return!

First of all "Gordon" is someone who has probably done over 25 Carnival cruises, so I value his opinion.

And can you argue that point???? The cruise was $910 for 3 for a balcony cabin, can you honestly say that people didn't sail stricly based on price??? Heck, I picked it strictly based on PRICE.

So why would that comment rub you the wrong way? You are just looking for something to pick apart. I don't notice you over on the RCCL board arguing on that thread. I didn't make that comment. So why stay here and argue on mine? Feel free to take it to the RCCL board where the comment was made.

I was posting a review. The Carnival verses Royal arguments on Cruise Critic are as old as Cruise Critic. So if you want to argue about THAT thread, then how about taking it to THAT thread.

Hey, c'mon. I offered you a rose. I'm glad Gordon has over 25 cruises. I don't think that means people who choose CCL for the price should just move into a trailer park, which was the implication. That wasn't about the line, it was about the clientelle. That's what rubbed me the wrong way. (and it was just a sample). I apologized for my quick reaction, and I will offer it one more time. ::hands OP another rose::

Do have a question for you as we are going on the Triumph for the third time in October but first one to Canada. Why did you use Shore Trips who connected you to Freedom tours instead of going direct? Found out about Freedom tours on these boards and figure I should just go direct. Any reason not to?

Golfadj

Nope, no reason at all. We found the excursion on Shore Trips and didn't know it was Freedom Tours they were using (it doesn't tell you the independent company's name until after you book and get the vouchers)

Then when I went to Freedom Tour's site, there is no price listed for this tour. So I am wondering if it is cheaper to book directly - probably is, right?

You have to email them to get the price, so I would be very interested to know the price you get if you do. Please come back and let me know. Thanks. :D

Hey, c'mon. I offered you a rose. I'm glad Gordon has over 25 cruises. I don't think that means people who choose CCL for the price should just move into a trailer park, which was the implication. That wasn't about the line, it was about the clientelle. That's what rubbed me the wrong way. (and it was just a sample). I apologized for my quick reaction, and I will offer it one more time. ::hands OP another rose::

No one said that people that choose Carnival based on price should move right into the trailor park considering that I chose Carnival based on PRICE and I am not living in a trailer park.

That is an assumption that you made. ;)

Let me add my thanks to Michelle for the fantastic review.

I'm going to take my daughter Kathryn (4) and my son's godparents (in another cabin) on the Triumph June 25 for our first cruise. I'm a compulsive researcher before trips, so really appreciate all the folks that take the time to give thier honest opinions. I'd read plenty about Carnival before I signed up, including some really horrible reviews on a consumer complaint board, but I never would have been able to sell my wife on a Princess cruise just for a father/daughter outing, so we'll try Carnival and see how we like it. Maybe next time we'll go for an inside cabin on a fancier line and see which we prefer.

I've learned to take the bad with the good while travelling, and we're going to enjoy everything we can. My wonderful intelligent perfect daughter can be a handful at times, so I'll be sure and warn her about shark banging :). Kathryn and I have taken a number of overnight train trips together in Amtrak sleeping cars. Believe me, no one can screw up like Amtrak and we still have a great time. She loves playing in top bunks.

Again, I *really* appreciate all the information, photos and uploads of all the Capers. This has been a huge help, and lets me set my expectations appropriately so I can enjoy the cruise as much as possible.

Awww thanks atravellingman. I can honestly say that there is no better way to travel with kids than on a cruise. So I KNOW that you and your daughter will have a fabulous time.

I didn't have a horrible experience. I just had a different experience than what I am used to, even used to with Carnival.

The first cruise is always so special. I remember our first cruise, Deck 2, Inside, 12 years ago on a ship that isn't even in the RCCL fleet anymore. When we opened the cabin door, it basically hit the bed...lol. But I still remember it fondly as the BEST cruise ever, because it was the first and the one that started my obsession with cruising. :D

So have a wonderful time! And I want to hear all about it when you come back. And watch out for those rubber sharks. :p:D

5th sentence says it was my third Carnival Cruise and my last paragraph says 'great review". Thanks again for sharing and for taking the time to reply to the replies. I did enjoy the review, pictures and appreciate your opinion. You have taken alot of your time to post here. My "narcissist" comment was based more on the amount of time invested to post and all the add ons etc...I cannot imagine how anyone not self-absorbed could put that kind of time into a project like this...but I could be wrong there...sorry. Don't take offense as I am just an anonymous poster on a web page and really mean nothing to you.

Thanks again for your review.

I didn't have a horrible experience. I just had a different experience than what I am used to, even used to with Carnival.

Ok I'm confused:confused: I read this on the RCCL boards:D

I just had to report exactly what we experienced. Was it HORRIBLE - no. Was it the same experience as the other 2 Carnival ships we sailed - yep, pretty much. I was able to look past the other hicups on Carnival because the Camp was so good to the kids. So if the kids were happy, then I was happy. ;)

Ok I'm confused:confused: I read this on the RCCL boards:D

I'm confused as to how you're confused. The fact that the Camp was not suitable made this trip unsatisfactory. One thing does have an impact on another.

The OP never said it was a horrible cruise, but people have inferred that or used the words to suit their own argument.

People like Pepsi & people like Coke. You like Carnival. I'm pretty sure everyone gets that. However the few negatives were in fact negative. Are they indicative of the entire Carnival line? No, from what I've read. What does cross the line is the personal attacks I've been seeing & they're uncalled for IMO.

My 2 cents.

Eric

Thanks for such a wonderful indepth review. It was very enjoyable to read. I will definitely jot down the cruise tour info. I'm new to cruising and have only cruised once on RCCL MOS. Now I'm hooked. I'm trying to plan a fall cruise to Canada to see the changing of the leaves. This will be my boys first cruise (5 and 9 years) and was considering between Carnival and Princess. Michelle, based on your experience, which one would you go for? I really do appreciate your feedback. I was leaning towards Carnival for their children's program but now I have concerns based on your reviews. Based on reviews on CC it seems Princess will have a similar cruise experience as RCCL but the kids may not have as much 'fun'. There's so many lines to choose from its very confusing. But at the same time I want to stick to what I know since we had such a wonderful first cruise.

Btw, I could so imagine my little boy with the rubber shark!

I'm confused as to how you're confused. The fact that the Camp was not suitable made this trip unsatisfactory. One thing does have an impact on another.

The OP never said it was a horrible cruise, but people have inferred that or used the words to suit their own argument.

People like Pepsi & people like Coke. You like Carnival. I'm pretty sure everyone gets that. However the few negatives were in fact negative. Are they indicative of the entire Carnival line? No, from what I've read. What does cross the line is the personal attacks I've been seeing & they're uncalled for IMO.

My 2 cents.

Eric

I'm sorry......are you quoting me:confused: Not sure why:confused: I never personally attacked Michelle......

5th sentence says it was my third Carnival Cruise and my last paragraph says 'great review". Thanks again for sharing and for taking the time to reply to the replies. I did enjoy the review, pictures and appreciate your opinion. You have taken alot of your time to post here. My "narcissist" comment was based more on the amount of time invested to post and all the add ons etc...I cannot imagine how anyone not self-absorbed could put that kind of time into a project like this...but I could be wrong there...sorry. Don't take offense as I am just an anonymous poster on a web page and really mean nothing to you.

I would take it more that she posted her review and included the photos and capers and kids club schedules, etc. in order to help out other cc members. To give them information so that they have an idea of what to expect when they take a Carnival cruise or if they are interested in knowing what kinds of activities are offered in the Ocean Club. Which would be the opposite of self-absorbed in my book.

What?? Michelle does all this to HELP us other cruisers out! And, she obviously enjoys traveling and cruising. Why are you so negative????

Archived