How many holds are placed?

holdon216

We always use a debit card and have seen Carnival do it two different ways. Last time, when we were on the Glory, I would log on to our bank account from the ship and see that they would hold whatever we spent that day. They would do that each day. So, everytime you used your s and s card, that amount of money would be zapped directly from your account and put on hold. That was on the Glory. When we sailed on the Sensation and on other cruise lines, they would immediately get a hold for anywhere between 200 and 250 a person up front.

If you prepay tips they may not put a hold for the one that doesn't have charging access, not sure. Last year we prepaid our holds were an initial hold, then a hold for what we spent that last day when we went over our cash deposit, then they charged the total amount and the holds dropped off after getting back home.

So make sure you have double whatever you plan on spending or use cash instead of a debit card, just in case they do the holds and don't release them before they do the debit, like they did us.

Yes, they will put a hold on for both of you to cover tips, etc.

My husband and I won't use our debit card. We use cash and travelers checks. I save for our vacations and just pull the money out before we leave. Last cruise on Carnival, I used a pre-paid credit card one with my name and an expiration date which I deposited money to. They put holds on that money and it was not available until a week or so after the cruise.

Archived