feeling sick after cruise?

wags111

i get seasick and wear the patch. i was on the fascination a week or so ago and felt queasy for about 5 days after getting off. not all the time, it would come and go. i have never experienced this before. anyone else? i am thinking its my age??? am i crazy?

Lots of folks who never get seasick on a cruise nor use the patch sort of thing get "land sick" upon return from a cruise. Sometimes, it takes about a week. MANY experience this! Don't worry! It'll go away.

you're not crazy! this is completely normal, and happens to lots and lots of folks after they leave a ship. your balance is all kept up with your inner ear, and this problem has to to with regaining your balance. just give it a few days, and you'll have your land-legs back in no time!

you're not crazy! this is completely normal, and happens to lots and lots of folks after they leave a ship. your balance is all kept up with your inner ear, and this problem has to to with regaining your balance. just give it a few days, and you'll have your land-legs back in no time!

Its actually called:

Mal de Debarquement Syndrome

http://www.mdds.org.uk/

What is Mal de Debarquement Syndrome?

Mal de Debarquement Syndrome (or MdDS) is an imbalance or rocking/swaying sensation often both "felt" and "seen" by the sufferer that occurs after exposure to motion (most commonly after a sea cruise or a flight). Although other forms of travel have been known to trigger it.

After alighting or "debarking" (debarquement) the traveller continues to feel "all at sea", unable to get their land legs back. Although most travellers can identify with this feeling and do actually experience it temporarily after disembarking, unfortunately in the case of MdDS sufferers it can persist for many weeks, months, even years afterwards.

The symptoms are with you constantly, they never leave, nor can they be alleviated by any anti-motion sickness drugs (eg Stemetil, Serc etc)

"Like trying to constantly walk on a mattress or trampoline"

is a good description of the main symptom, which is usually most pronounced when the patient is sitting still; in fact, the sensations are usually minimized by actual motion, for example driving.

It shouldn't affect your ability to drive and it is completely normal. I get it for about a week after every cruise. My dr told me to just take the sea sickness medication while on land and that would help even me out. And it does seem to work.

I get it about half the time we cruise. Actually, a doctor gave me seasick pills the first time and it did help me, or at least the symptoms went away. I would suggest that you try some over the counter stuff and see if you feel better. Either it helps me, or does nothing but the symptoms run their course and I feel better.

Ohiodoglover

Sometimes the patch has side effects that will give you the feeling of being sea sick a few days AFTER you take the patch off. Thats what happened to me! It seemed like the patch just delayed the sea sickness till I got home! LOL I dont use the patch any more for other reasons. I have found the non-drowsy, over the counter meds, along with ginger root pills, works fine for me!

Our daughter (7) got sick on a snorkel excrusion. Tell me more of this ginger root? does it prevent sea sickness or the week after a cruise weeble wobble feeling?

Also where does one get those behing the ear sticker patch thingys? Walgreens? CVS?

TC

Actually if you are in a car or moving that is when your symptoms subside because it equalizes the inner ears motion it thinks it's feeling. Definitely not in your head and these symptoms can be mild where you just feel queasy or severe where you can't even stand and walk, also they can be short term or they may never go away. Not a lot they can do about it, you just have to kind of ride it out. Hope yours clears up quickly.

i get seasick and wear the patch. i was on the fascination a week or so ago and felt queasy for about 5 days after getting off. not all the time, it would come and go. i have never experienced this before. anyone else? i am thinking its my age??? am i crazy?

It's quite normal. After 3 or 4 cruises, my body adjusts much more quickly to land.

I was "land sick" for about a week after our 1st cruise (7 day) I read about ginger pills on CC & decided to try them for our January cruise. I started taking 1 twice a day the day before our cruise & continued for about 4 days after the cruise. Sitting at my desk seemed to be when I noticed being dizzy the most (might have something to do with having to go back to work!) but it wasn't nearly as bad as after the 1st cruise. By the 3rd day, it was gone. You buy them at Wal-Mart or any drug store. Think I paid $7 for 100.

Happy Cruising

I as well continue to feel the sway and queasy-ness of cruising once we land. I continue to take my Bonine for 2-3 days after we debark. It does help some but there have been times when I thought I was going to fall to the floor. Unfortunately, it has gotten worse for me as I have gotten older. yuck.

Sometimes the patch has side effects that will give you the feeling of being sea sick a few days AFTER you take the patch off. Thats what happened to me! It seemed like the patch just delayed the sea sickness till I got home! LOL I dont use the patch any more for other reasons. I have found the non-drowsy, over the counter meds, along with ginger root pills, works fine for me!

I want to say the Patch "transderm scop" caused this for me. I was actually feeling flue like when I got home and discontinued the patch. If you read the package insert it warns of this.

I as well continue to feel the sway and queasy-ness of cruising once we land. I continue to take my Bonine for 2-3 days after we debark. It does help some but there have been times when I thought I was going to fall to the floor. Unfortunately, it has gotten worse for me as I have gotten older. yuck.

i wondered if age had anything to do with it. i am 9 years old than when we 1st cruised LOL

One of my friends also used the patch thing...never sick on the cruise.. but bedridden for almost a week when they got home. she also thought she "caught something", but after doc visit, was told it was most likely side effect from patch. I get little queasy when we motorcycle ride thru mountains, or if we are on long day ride. I use dramamine (non-drowsy) and it works fine for me. If I use the regular formula, makes me little tired, but I sleep like a baby that night. Going on first cruise in less than 100 days, and going to get some ginger pills, to have incase extra remedies are needed.

kell

Tell me more of this ginger root? does it prevent sea sickness or the week after a cruise weeble wobble feeling?

TC

I get ginger pills from Puritan Pride on line. I think you can get it at GNC, maybe even Walmart? All ginger does is help settle your stomach. Helps with the woozy filling. Does nothing for your inner ear fluid that is causing the trouble in the 1st place. Thats why I use both ginger and non-drowsy motion sickness pills. By using both I dont have to take a lot of one or the other. Normally I get by with one motion and ginger pill in the morning, then one ginger late in the afternoon.

I do get motion sick VERY easy! the trick to any of these is to take it BEFORE you even start feeling sick. I start taking the pills the night before I get on the ship!

After our 1st cruise my DW, who has had eardrum surgery, was "landsick" upon our return. Our doctor's advice was to take motion sickness medicine until the side effects were gone.

She starting taking Bonine and ginger tablets, which are available at our local supermarket, and the side effects wore off in about 10 days.

We have now been on the 3 cruises and her residual side effects are down to 2 days after landfall.

I have gotten this several times and I don't get seasick nor have I ever used the patch or pills. My landsickness is directly proportional to how rough the sea were on the cruise.

Very much agree with you! :cool:

Archived