Currency exchange...how...where

I'll have USA money, but when I get into Canada I've been told that I'll need Canadian money to pay for transfers, in cash. I am driving infrom from Seattle. Any ideas on a good place to stop?? And will they take it from my ATM card??

You can ask at your local bank about currency exchange. You'd do well to get some Canadian money before you travel into Canada though it's not necessary. Everyone accepts U.S. $$, the difference is what exchange rate they offer. Your local bank should be able to get you a decent exchange rate. Happy Sails!

You will find that $US are widely accepted in the Vancouver and Victoria areas as a courtesy to our American visitors. However as our two dollars are within $0.10 of each other it is not likely you will get any exhchange and you will, in most instances, get you change in $CDN. I would also advise not using notes larger than $20 as there has been a rash of counterfeit $50 and $100 notes in circulation and as a result merchants are loath to accept them. If you are going to be in the city for more than a day you may care to go to a bank or ATM and get some $CDN but it is not strictly necessary.:)

• 2 weeks later...
I'll have USA money, but when I get into Canada I've been told that I'll need Canadian money to pay for transfers, in cash. I am driving infrom from Seattle. Any ideas on a good place to stop?? And will they take it from my ATM card??

I use either my ATM or just go to a bank in Canada with cash. Banks usually have a better ewxchange rate and do not charge service fees.

I use either my ATM or just go to a bank in Canada with cash. Banks usually have a better ewxchange rate and do not charge service fees.

I would suggest getting it from your bank before you leave home. Most banks offer this service for little/no charge. My (Canadian) bank always keep US$/Euros/GBPounds on hand, anything else they can order in (like MX pesos)

Archived