Shasa and Silvermoon - comparison

lawgirl

Hello. I know these two turtle tours with lunch have been reviewed alot on the boards. However, after all that research, I still can't decide. I think Silvermoon may be the best, but they are $110.00 pp (for a 12 person catamaran) as compared to $80 pp (12 person catamaran) for Shasa. It seems like $60 per couple is alot more for Silvermoon. Has anyone been on both tours to compare? What about Silvermoon is much better than Shasa? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

lawgirl,

I just came back from a cruise and it stopped in Barbados. I booked the Silvermoon tour for 24 people. It was about 5 hours, buffet it had chicken, fish, coleslaw, pasta and salad. For desert it was banana bread. They served pop, water, rum-punch, pina colada's. It was all very good. Their were three crew members on the boat and they were very professional and informative. The bartender was great. We stopped two places to snorkel. My friend and I have never snorkeled before. So we were having some anxiety about it. The Captain of the boat got in the water with us. Basically held our hand until we were comfortable. He was great, he was very patient and answered all of our questions. The water in Barbados is beautiful.

Patty

Just to clarify, Silver Moon runs two different catamarans...one for 24 people max and one for 12 people max, at $90 and $110 per person respectively. I've used them twice (both on the Silver Moon II, 12 people), and thought they were top notch and worth the money.

There's a pretty big size difference between the two. Silver Moon II is a 44 foot catamaran. Shasa is a lot smaller, at 30 foot. I haven't been on Shasa, so I can't make a recommendation between the two.

Here's Silver Moon II:

1285132164062712087S425x425Q85.jpg

Here's Shasa:

shasa_beach.jpg

Thanks to all! Didn't want to be too crowded, so we booked with Silvermoon - they get great reviews so I know it will be worth the extra cost. The photos really helped me decide, so thanks jtmalt.

Thanks to all! Didn't want to be too crowded, so we booked with Silvermoon - they get great reviews so I know it will be worth the extra cost. The photos really helped me decide, so thanks jtmalt.

Glad to help...I'm confident you'll really enjoy it. Be sure to give us a review when you get back, so we can all vicariously experience it again!:D

• 3 weeks later...

We just returned from Barbados and went out with Shasa. Jason and Tess are awesome. For the 5 of us it was like being out with friends for a few hours. Jason gets in the water with you and makes sure you have individualized attention in and out of the water. We did not do lunch so can't comment but the drinks were wonderful and plentiful - local rum and beers.

Tess transports you to and from the cruise terminal. She even washes your feet before the return trip :D

The catamaran is well equipped with drink, restroom, safety equipment, storage areas and snorkeling gear. I'd recommend them to anyone!

• 2 weeks later...

I just got back from a cruise and my wife and I used the Silvermoon! It was one of the best trips ever... The oat was 45' and there was only 12 of us. We kept seeing the other catamarans and they looked packed and miserable to be honest with you. The lunch we had we excellent and the drinks were, well, as much as you wanted to drink... We were at each sight 1st before the other tours and left when they all got there... In the end, the pice of the tour was well worth it... You will not regret it...

• 3 weeks later...

We did Shasa 2 weeks ago today! I told Jason I would be thinking of him today, knowing he was out with other Adventure of the Seas cruisers and that we would be missing him, his boat and the wonderful lunch!

I didn't get a chance to see Silvermoon, so I can't compare the two excursions. However, our experience with Shasa was great. Tess (Jason's wife) met us as agreed and led us thru the overbearing port police to the arranged transportation. The driver was friendly and chatted with us the whole way to the boat, giving us information about the island, cities, etc.

There were 11 of us on the tour that day and there was more than enough room for everyone, we were never crowded in the least. We sailed (no motor!) to the shipwreck site where we snorkeled in relative peace and then headed over to the turtle site. There was more activity at this point, but Jason had brought some food for the turtles and they actually seemed to be expecting him. We had one swim within a foot or so of the boat!

Jason was wonderful at keeping us all together and watching out for the kids (and adults!).

After dropping off the 1/2 day guests we sailed to a nice little bay where Jason set out the tasty lunch. We had steamed flying fish (I wasn't going to try it, but I'm so glad that I did!), Greek Salad (loved this one!), macaroni and cheese and chicken. All this was topped off with one of the best Carrot Cakes we've had. I'm pretty sure we nearly finished it all. He also had all sort of beverages to choose from, soda, water, beer, wine (I really enjoyed my glass, thank you Jason!), and I believe there was rum as well.

Jason then took us back to Tess who drove us back to the port. We really enjoyed our day with Shasa.

Here are some pictures from our fun day!

Shasa waiting for us

3768892829_304d66533d.jpg

Turtle just a foot of so from the boat

3768894275_447c37a343.jpg

Getting there under sail!

3768893119_5f301df45f.jpg

The cruise ship's excursion just clearing out

3768893417_4965756038.jpg

My daughter loved her Shasa day!

3768894615_cac2e14517.jpg

Another alternative... (just teasing!) This boat was filled with teenage boys and had the drivers working hard to keep order! Fun to watch.

3768893835_4b7ba6280a.jpg

I would recommend Shasa as an excursion and would not hesitate to go again.

Archived