Which resorts for ports on Carnival Spirit?

bbiggar

When is your cruise? I have also been waiting for someone to answer your questions. We will be on the Spirit Jan4-12. As soon as we get back I will post about the ones we go to. Don't know if that will be too late for you or not. We are going to the Hyatt in Acapulco, Las Hadas in Manzanillo, and Barcelo in Ixtapa. We have stayed at the Hyatt before and liked the pool and beach, but that was many years ago. Only problem with beach was you get approached a lot to buy stuff.

Another cruise: we are also going on the Spirit Jan 4-12. We will be having small children with us.I was hoping for somemore replies.I heard about the Hyatt.Acapulco Roberto mentioned it.I think he said there was no charge for using their facilites.Maybe just buy a drink or some food.I read Las Hadas charges $25 a person to go in. The beach in Ixtapa I never read about. What can you tell me about it?I guess you have to take a water taxi over it you go to Ixtapa, or is there another way.I am a little fearful of the water taxis.On my last trip a lady at our table took one to the beach and Cabo, the tides were low and she had to jump on it and pulled some ligaments in her ankle.Do you know what time sunset is the day we are in Acapulco. We do not arrive till 1.Probably would be after 2 till we get any place. We have a roll call on the Carnival boards if you would like to join in and check it out.

Sorry, I didn't answer faster. I've been Christmas shopping!! I found the information about the Barcelo Hotel in Ixtapa on this site. It is a 4-star hotel located on El Palmar Beach in the area of "luxury hotels in Ixtapa". I'm only going on what the site says on this. I don't think this involves a ferry, just a cab ride from the ship. Isla Ixtapa (or Ixtapa Island) does require a ferry boat ride. The person who posted the information here a few weeks ago said that they spent the day there for $15 per person. If you want to see pictures try these sites. www.barcelo.com/Barcelo/EN/Products/America/Mexico/Ixtapa/Principal

This has a great picture of the pool and info about hotel.

www.southtravels.com/america/mexico/barceloixtapa/

This has a full picture of the beach. I just want to sit on the beach, look at the ocean and drink Dos Equis and this looked like a great spot to me!! If these links don't get you there, I found them by searching: Barcelo Hotel +Ixtapa in Google. Had to look a several sites to get pictures--most are just for reservations.

Las Hadas ( in Manzanillo) is the hotel where the movie "10" was filmed. It is next door to Karmina Palace where Carnival takes you ( for $85 each). I think Las Hadas charges $25, but applies it to beach chair, towel, etc. rental. I picked it because I have wanted to go there for years. The Karmina Palace also has good reviews from cruisers. One person said they were never charged to use the facilities, just paid for drinks. Karmina Palace has several pools and a water slide, but some have commented that the beach area at Las Hadas is nicer and I want the beach. If you are interested in spa treatments, Karmina Palace has a spa with great services and rates. They are listed on their web page. Also has losts of info about hotel.

Picked the Hyatt in Acapulco just because we have stayed there before. We have been to Acapulco several times and have seen cliff divers, city, shopping, etc. I just want the beach. It is 22 degrees in Missouri right now

• 4 weeks later...

Just got back today. We went to the 3 hotels I mentioned in previous post (Hyatt Acapulco, Barcelo in Ixtapa, and Las Hadas in Manzillo) All were exactly what we wanted. There was no charge at Hyatt or Barcelo, just paid for beach chairs. $13 at Hyatt for 2 chairs and 2 cushions on beach, and about the same at Barcelo. Not sure here because the beer was added in too. Cab to Hyatt was $15 and to Barcelo was $12. Liked Barcelo the best. Not hounded to buy stuff. Also, there is a white tent on the beach at Barcelo for massages. One hour for $20. It was out of this world. Massages at Hyatt were $30 and were done in your lounge chair. This was a tent with a great breeze, listen to ocean , and people who really knew what they were doing. In Manzanillo we went to Las Hadas. It cost $12 per cab and they collect $25 per person at the gate, but give you a coupon book for $25 to apply to chairs, food, drinks, etc. It was beautiful, nice swimming area marked off in ocean, great margaritas, and beautiful pool. Any questions, let me know.

• 1 month later...

Another Cruise,

How far was it to the Marcelo Resort in Zihua/Ixtapa? How long of a taxi ride? Any other comments on that one? Sounds great and just what we are looking for. Last time we did Ixtapa Island and found the water taxi experience a bit risky.:eek:

Thanks.

Cabana Girl,

Barcelo Resort was about 20 minutes by cab. I think it was $15. Our cab driver was Omar Galbana. He spoke perfect English. Used to live in Seattle. We told him what time we wanted to go back, and he was there to pick us up. His cell phone number is 755-104-8516. ( I still have his card.) I have read here that some people paid $15 to use the beach facilities. We just got out of the cab and walked straight through the lobby to the beach. There are no doors anywhere. The pools were beatiful, but we went on out to the beach. There is a small bar on the beach and we just asked one of the beach waiters about the chairs. He had us pick out a "grass hut" and he moved chairs to it and brought us drinks. He asked for our room number and we just told him we weren't staying there but were on a cruise and wanted to spend the day there. He started a tab at the bar and that was all we had to do. there was no charge for using the facilities. There is a swim up bar in one of the pools with a waterfall coming over the top of the bar. There also gift shops inside. It was really a nice place and I would like to go back and stay there sometime.Enjoy!!! Wish I was going with you!

Another Cruise,

Thank you so much for such great info. We will look for Omar. Zihua is not very big and we may actually be able to find him....or call him from the pier.

We just did the same cruise in November, but don't want to do the excursion again. We just want sunshine and beach time!

Thanks,

Cabana Girl

Archived