San Diego to LA!! Whats the best way to get there?

svetty

I was wondering if anyone has suggestions on how to get from San Diego to LA.

i might be going on a cruise in October and it ends in San Diego. Is there a way to get picked up from the ship and get to LA? Whats the best way to get there? and how far is it? is it about 2 hour drive? or is it longer?

Thank you for any information:-)

it will be Friday, the ship , Statendam docks on Friday - so we need to get from the port of San Diego to Los Angeles, probably Hollywood - we want to book a hotel for one night, thinking maybe Hyatt or something like that, but need a most comfrtobale way of getting there, because my parents are not that young anymore and they need to be comfortable:)))

Oh so it will be either 2 or 3 people

It is very expensive to fly to LA from SD...and on a Friday I would consider driving but not in the afternoon! The train station in SD is about 2 blocks from where you will dock....you could take the train to LA and then perhaps rent a car ..but driving in LA is always a challenge. Sorry..not an easy solution to get from A to Z! LuAnn

we are driving on a tuesday morning from san diego to LA (hollywood) we are thinking of leaving around 8:00. Do you think we'll run into heavy traffic?

There is always heavy traffic. We really have "rush hour" 24/7. Especially on the 5 freeway...which is what you would be taking.

I'm thinking you mean 8:00 AM? If so...yes there will still be morning rush hour...8:00 PM at night much better! But I would assume you are going in the morning? If you are leaving from the port then I would suggest you take your time getting off the ship...in the AM...and just plan on a drive of around 2 to 3 hours...depending on traffic.

Living here in SD we try and avoid this drive...even to visit friends who live a little north of here is a chore! But since you are visiting...I hope you enjoy the ride! One option is to drive up the old Hwy. 101...which goes along the coast ..actually a better alternative! You should be able to get information regarding that drive from Triple A. What time of the year are you doing this? The coast route would be difficult if it is early July to mid September as the Del Mar Race Track is in season then and the coastal area in SD is filled with race goers! LuAnn

svetty- Thanks for the added details. Friday is especially bad traffic-wise. The window is 830am to 3pm if you drive, which I recommend (see below). Or take Amtrak to LA Union Station, then a Super Shuttle into Hollywood.

kathleen- If you leave SD around 8am, you may hit the tail end of rush hour in SD although most of the traffic is southbound with commuters going into the city. If you can wait til 9am everything should be fine. You will get to LA mid-day which is perfect.

However I don't recommend I-5 into Hollywood. There is major construction when you get to LA County, and from there on it's 1950's highway with only 3 lanes and no HOV lane. Best bet is take I-405 in Irvine, then I-110 north to Hollywood.

The scenic route is US101 between La Jolla and Oceanside as already recommended. Also Hwy 1 from San Clemente to Newport Beach is also a nice drive.

It's 117 miles from the cruise ship terminal in San Diego to Hollywood and Highland in LA.

The easiest solution in your case is to drive even though the amount of time it takes is basically a crapshoot. Since it is two or three of you, you will have the advantage of using the carpool lanes throughout the trip; but although on paper it appears that it will take two hours, that cannot be guaranteed :mad:. Also, you will encounter traffic! That is a given.

Another possibility to consider is taking Amtrak from San Diego (the terminal is across the street from the pier.) to Union Station in LA and, depending on what you want to do in LA, either drive or take a cab from that point.

Unless you are a train buff I would skip the Amtrak option. The rental car would be the least painful method in my opinion.

If you don't go during rush hour the traffic will (kind of) flow. And it's a absolutely beautiful drive up the coast.

An FYI- there are no carpool lanes on I-5 north of Buena Park. That's part of the reason for all the construction in my previous warning. Use I-405 or CA-91 to I-110 north and there will be HOV lanes.

SO if we do rent a car, are there shuttles in San Diego to take to car rentals?? is it better to have a rental pre-booked?

There are rental car shuttles that mainly go between the rental car lots and the airport. Some of the car rental companies will pick you up when you call in. Others give you a taxi voucher. Others you have to pay the taxi fare yourself.

You need to pick a car rental company and then call their San Diego airport office to see what their policy is.

By the way, it's only ~2 miles or so (port to airport), so taxi fare should be maybe $10-15.

Archived