Anyone live in Tampa area?

GAMOM4

Do any of you live in Tampa and if so can you recommend somewhere that we could stay the night before we leave for our cruise. We will be driving down the day before - we don't want to spend a fortune because we need money to spend on the cruise - but we want somewhere in a safe area that is a nice hotel. I have never used Priceline before or actually any of the websites that are advertised to find hotel rooms - but I am willing to do that if you have any recomendations. Also, is there anything that you recommend we do the day we are in Tampa since we have never been before and don't know when/if we will ever get back down there. I'm hoping we do because we are looking at possibly booking the legend as one of next cruises.

Thanks in advance!!!!!:)

I actually live in North Pinellas county, and, I think, you may get better deals over there. Go to hotels.com, and enter Clearwater, FL as a location. When we got married, everyone stayed at the Marriott Fairfield In on Ulmerton Rd, and this was pretty nice. There is an Extended Stay hotel and a Holiday Inn near there. if you go a little further, there is a new Residence Inn at the corner of Ulmerton Rd and 49th St, and a little further west of that, a new Motel 6 and (I think) LaQuinta at the corner of Rte 19

Getting to the port if you are driving is easy. Take Rte 60 East (Courtney Campbell Causeway), follow signs to I-275 East, take exit 45 to the seaport, about 15-20 minutes driving time.

On the Causeway, you will see several other hotels at Rocky Point, most likely outside your price range. There are probably other hotels on the east side of Tampa, I hardly get over there

For something to do, you can go to Busch Gardens, again, this might be a budget buster. There is the Channelside area (where the ship leaves from) where the Florida Aquarium is, or, you can follow Rte 60 west to Clearwater beach

I'm a local and use to work for a hotel chain. I will recommend Hampton Inn in Ybor (downtown sorta) and Homewood Suites in Brandon (which is not far from the port too). You have more to do if you stay in Ybor. Or you can always go to Embassy Suite on Westshore. There is a Mall across the street w/pleanty of dinning choices. But nothing over there other than the mall/movies.

Hope this helps

My first choice would be Embassy Suites near USF/Bush Gardens. It would be a good walk to BG and over to MOSI. They may have a shuttle to the park, I just don't remember. Then there is a Hamptin Inn off Hidden River Pkwy and a Hilton Garden Inn off Tampa Oak Blvd.

But, I would suggest to say in Ybor and then just take a taxi to Bush Gardens. There is nothing to do other than the park in that area.... and in Ybor, there are so many sights to see w/in just a few blocks.... and a trolly that is great for sight seeing. You can get on/off it at anytime and explore.

I forgot to mention, there is a Embassy Suites downtown...but your paying for the "location". It has great views (if you get the water side)....and even better views at night!! I believe the trolly ends there and then goes back to Ybor. I've been wanting to go on the trolly but never made it down there yet.

I forgot one more suggestion. If your coming a two days before the cruise....maybe check out the Double Tree, Hamptin Inn or Sail Port Resort on Rocky Creek.

All of these are further away but they are on the gulf! (5 min drive from the airport) So after a day at the park, you could just relax on the beach just watching the sunset.

You would have to check to see if they have shuttle service to either the pier or to the park.

Archived