Charles Lindbergh Grave on OGG

airspeedsalive

Lindbergh's grave is several miles past Hana and Hana's about 40 to 50 miles from the pier, more from Lahaina. We went looking for it on a trip last year, but went right past it. It is not marked.

Rental car or excursion would probably be the best bet. A taxi might be pretty expensive.

On another note, saw on the news that the Hawaiian Islands are going to have extremely high surf on the North and West shores of the Islands. Thirty to fifty foot waves are expected tonight, so hope everyone there stays safe.

But what a beautiful drive! We drove it leisurely last November and spent the night in Hana. We were the only ones at the "Seven Sacred Pools" early in the morning...beautiful. However, I must warn everyone about the "treehouse" we stayed in. Like camping in the jungle-wet with no electricity. I thought it would be a little more "civilized", but it was definitely an adventure!

Depends on how long you're on Maui. If you're there only for the day and your ship leaves tender at say 3 pm, then might be an issue. This is the same issue that surrounds trying to do the Road to Hana for any cruise ship passenger. You're better off doing it on a cruise that overnights on Maui in general - not to say that it can't be done on a day trip to Maui.

Spleen

We did it in a day when our ship was there 0800-2200 (Statendam). We were on the Island Princess last month, and they left at 6PM. There was a LONG line to get back on the ship at the tender pier starting about 1600, so plan accordingly.

I would do the Hana drive again if I had the chance, esp. if it is a clear sunny day. The drive is very slow due to narrow roads, one lane bridges and lots of slow driving tourists. You can drive as far as you want and then turn back (you don't have to go all the way to Hana or beyond unless you must see the Lindberg grave or swim in the so-called Seven Sacred Pools). There are no services beyond Paio so gas up and buy some food there. There are a couple of places to stop for port-a-potties, but that is about it. Lovely views, many water falls.

Archived