Cinque Terre walk from Riomaggiore to Manarola

Can you walk it in either direction? The information I found on the website

http://www.cinqueterre.com/eng/information/hiking/2/

and in guidebooks all give directions to get to the path starting at Riomaggiore and not Manarola. We would like to take the train from Le Spezia to Vernazza, have lunch then train to Manarola then walk the "Via Dell Amore" to Riomaggiore. We are only in port from 1-6 so that is probably all we will have time for. If time permits we will walk around Riomaggiore. I know that I want to go to Vernazza so I rather start from the furthest location and work our way back.

and in guidebooks all give directions to get to the path starting at Riomaggiore and not Manarola. We would like to take the train from Le Spezia to Vernazza, have lunch then train to Manarola then walk the "Via Dell Amore" to Riomaggiore. We are only in port from 1-6 so that is probably all we will have time for. If time permits we will walk around Riomaggiore. I know that I want to go to Vernazza so I rather start from the furthest location and work our way back.

No problem with the walk as you have planned it. Check the Cinque Terre train schedules carefully as there are a lot of voids (no trains) mid-day between many of the villages.

Jenny,

It looks as if Harv and I will be joining you on the train to Vernazza. I had wanted to walk the Via Dell Amore too. We were hoping to have lunch in Vernazza, and then walk, but with the shortened port time we may have to change our plans. I have read that it takes approximately 20 minutes to walk from Manarola to Riomaggiore. We would then take the train back to La Spezia, and perhaps a cab back to the ship, or walk the 20 minutes to the ship.

I have also heard that shops will be closed between 2 - 4 pm.

It would be nice to do it all.

Jacquie

As I stated in an earlier post, you must look very closely at the train schedules. They can make or break your day. I will probably post the new schedules for all five villages tomorrow. No significant changes from what is on my train site.

Times mentioned for the walk between Manarola and Riomaggiore are about right - train station to train station - not village to village (takes longer).

Train schedules show that I am going to have to make a decision...skip Vernazza and do the walk from Riomaggiore to Manarola and do lunch there instead of Vernazza or flip flop Riomaggiore and Manarola. Third option is Vernazza for 2 hours, skip the walk and then straight back to the ship.

Too hard to decide! Wish I had more time but will only have about 2 hours no matter what we decide to do. I want a good lunch with amazing view and a nice walk. I think I am going to "wing it" when we get there and see how the wind blows how we feel that day because I can't decide which town would be our best bet.

Train schedules show that I am going to have to make a decision...skip Vernazza and do the walk from Riomaggiore to Manarola and do lunch there instead of Vernazza or flip flop Riomaggiore and Manarola. Third option is Vernazza for 2 hours, skip the walk and then straight back to the ship.

Too hard to decide! Wish I had more time but will only have about 2 hours no matter what we decide to do. I want a good lunch with amazing view and a nice walk. I think I am going to "wing it" when we get there and see how the wind blows how we feel that day because I can't decide which town would be our best bet.

Whatever you decide, be certain that you pickup a current train schedule at the very first village (train station) that you stop in (usually the CT Park office). Schedules there do change and you want to be certain that you are in synch with them.

Archived