Tundra Wilderness v. Kantishna Experience

erinshehane

My husband and I are desperately seeking some experienced guidance. We want to see as much of Denali as possible (wildlife, Wonder Lake, Denali). We want to go to the end of the road (Kantishna Experience), but we are very worried that our 7/5/5 year old girls could not make it. We think we might have to settle for the Tundra Wilderness Tour. Has anyone made the trip with kids? Is the trip worth it? :confused: We have only one full day and two nights... We are stopping on the train from Anchorage on our way to Fairbanks.

Sorry, but Denali Park really is of little interest to 5 year olds and essentially not appropriate, 8 and above is about the "average" age. And I definately would not consider Wonder Lake, or Kantishna. Not sure why you have chosen it, but you do realize that the Tundra Wilderness tour is a very COSTLY option for your group?? Maybe because of the cameras??? Frankly, the kids probably aren't going to be real impressed looking at wildlife via a tv???

The shuttle buses do a great job and would be FREE for all three kids. I would recommend Toklat, maybe Eielson. You need to take a good hard look at your kids, what they will tolerate, no "meltdowns" infringing on others, no way out, silence mandated at close wildlife stops etc etc etc. No flames please, this is how it is.

IF you continue on a bus into Denali Park, then you need to pack TRIPLE the games, batteries, DVD players- headphones required, activities, snacks and more snacks.

The TWT has cameras that do exactly what? Do they let you off the bus?

BQ - is the tour better than doing the Eilson shuttle?

Sorry, I didn't mean to highjack the thread. I believe your answers to OP were very approiate. I know it is not easy doing long tours with kids. Done it.

The TWT has cameras that do exactly what? Do they let you off the bus?

BQ - is the tour better than doing the Eilson shuttle?

Sorry, I didn't mean to highjack the thread. I believe your answers to OP were very approiate. I know it is not easy doing long tours with kids. Done it.

The cameras zoom in and show the wildlife on a screen. For me, no I would never consider this, I use binoculars without problems and wouldn't be happy looking at a screen. At triple the cost, this is never a choice for me, I will always be on the bus to at least Eielson.

The tour buses do stop at designated rest stops, about every 90 minutes. You can not get off the bus elsewhere, unless you return via a shuttle bus- (returning buses only- which don't require "tickets").

Archived