Formal night! Military dress alright?

normdamarine

We go to our Marine Corps Birthday Ball every year so she gets to wear a gown ever year but I thought it would be cool to wear my Marine Corps Dress Whites while on ship for formal night

I had posted something similar in the Carnival Board Forum. It is HIGHLY recommended that military personnel wear their dress uniform during formal night(s).

Every poster that responded also suggested that if you wear your uniform, you can count on hardly spending a dime on drinks too.

My Soldiers and I are newbie cruisers. We're sailing 21 Feb 2010 after our redeployment and will be wearing our dress blues on our first formal night...the other formal night will be spent in gowns and being all "doll up"

• 1 month later...

Glad I found this post, I had the same question. I've been in the Navy since 2004. I'm going on a cruise 02 Jan 2010, right before my unit starts its pre-deployment because we're headed off to Afghanistan again (yipee...).

I don't own a Tux and I wasn't real anxious to spend money on one, so I'm relieved that it's appropriate to wear military dress uniform (although I think if I wear my white's I'm going to look an awful lot like the crew...jk)

• 5 months later...

US-services specific:

Remember that you are in a foreign country (unless on a US flagged vessel) when underway...the country of the ship's registration. The uniform regs for each service have a different section to cover foreign country wear beyond the "civilian formal event" stuff posted.

(and yes, I bring my Dinner Dress uniform when there is a formal night...but I made sure I have, even if informal, an OK from the service)

I am truly appreciative of all your thanks and responses. I know this may sound a little wierd but I get a little uncomfortable when I have many people do what you all are saying would happen. It is kind of odd because I am a loud, outgoing person who always to seem to be in the middle of attention. I guess I feel really humble when I get all that attention because of wearing that uniform. I have been in the Marine Corps for 16 years and I have still not gotten use to it yet, I am sure that I never will...

I guess I am just a little concerned because I am cruising on CCL and I have heard the dress standards are not always

high... More relaxed and I do not want to be the one sticking out like a sore thumb... But I am just going to wear it and roll with the flow...:D

Thank you all again... Semper Fi

Even tho Carnival does not have high dress standards any more on "elegant" well over 50% wear a suit and the ladies wear a cocktail dress or evening dress the other 40 to 50 % can be anything in between. So you will not stick out being all dressed up other than being in military uniform... My dh is retired military also proud to have served and proud of the ones still serving..

Hope you and your wife have an awesome time on your cruise.

I agree, "Military Spouse" is definitely the toughest job in the military!!

I'd most certainly buy the two of you a drink, even if you are a Marine. :D

My Soldiers and I (we are all medics) went on a cruise at the end of February 2010 and traveled on the Carnival Legend. We did this as our "present" to each other for returning back from Afghanistan after a 12 month deployment. We were disappointed about the dress code set forth. We were told it was a "cruise elegant" night, but you'll see A LOT of people still wearing casual wear. There were some, that were dressed to "the nines" and some dressed inbetween. I was originally going to wear my Dress Blues, and my other medics were going to wear their Class A Dress Uniform. I'm glad that we didn't because we would've stuck out like a sore thumb.

My personal opinion, I guess it's alright for older adults (I was the oldest there at 28) to wear their military uniforms, as they probably wouldn't get as many "stare downs". My Soldiers and I for the entire cruise got nothing but bad looks from the elders on the ship. (our first mistake: taking a 7 day cruise AFTER Spring Break). While we behaved and get military bearing, we were the youngest group on the ship, minus the children of couples. It was rather disappointing and uncomfortable.

We'll probably try cruising on another cruise line if we ever cruise again. It was our first cruise.

..... when someone enters the dining room in dress uniform, I find myself humbled beyond belief. Thank you and welcome. You are my past and my future. Also for my children and grandchildren. God bless freedom. God bless you.

I couldn't have said it better.

I for one would want to bring my 9 year old son up to meet you if you were on our ship. It's important for the younger ones to get to meet actual heros.

Thank you sir.

My Soldiers and I (we are all medics) went on a cruise at the end of February 2010 and traveled on the Carnival Legend. We did this as our "present" to each other for returning back from Afghanistan after a 12 month deployment. We were disappointed about the dress code set forth. We were told it was a "cruise elegant" night, but you'll see A LOT of people still wearing casual wear. There were some, that were dressed to "the nines" and some dressed inbetween. I was originally going to wear my Dress Blues, and my other medics were going to wear their Class A Dress Uniform. I'm glad that we didn't because we would've stuck out like a sore thumb.

My personal opinion, I guess it's alright for older adults (I was the oldest there at 28) to wear their military uniforms, as they probably wouldn't get as many "stare downs". My Soldiers and I for the entire cruise got nothing but bad looks from the elders on the ship. (our first mistake: taking a 7 day cruise AFTER Spring Break). While we behaved and get military bearing, we were the youngest group on the ship, minus the children of couples. It was rather disappointing and uncomfortable.

We'll probably try cruising on another cruise line if we ever cruise again. It was our first cruise.

I'm sorry you experienced the "looks" from some people. The last time I wore my uniform publicly was January, 1973 after I got out of rehab in a military hospital in California (I wouldn't have made it that far had it not been for some pretty good medics, by the way). I was verbally abused and spat upon at the airport. I thought people had moved on from those days. These days I think, in most cases, military members are pretty well appreciated. I really believe that you would generally receive positive responses, even on Carnival, if you were to cruise again and elect to wear military dress. I am a life member of the DAV, however, and never feel comfortable when people overdo the admiration of the armed services but do appreciate the respect given these days that my generation never got. I joined the military and volunteered to go to Viet Nam because it was my duty. What really makes me feel uncomfortable is when people call all GIs heroes. Heroes are people who have done special things. Serving is not special; just duty. Most GIs I have ever known feel the same way. Now I’ll shut up. I hope to see you on a future cruise. I’ll always be happy to share a drink with a medic.

My wife and I are going on our first cruise and it just so happens to be a belated honeymoon. We were not able to do one when we got married due to deployments and other personal agendas. We have been married for several years now and I want this cruise to not be special but one that would be remembered. We go to our Marine Corps Birthday Ball every year so she gets to wear a gown ever year but I thought it would be cool to wear my Marine Corps Dress Whites while on ship for formal night... Any thoughts? Has anyone ever cruised before and seen something like this? I am sure that I am not the first one to do this so I am just looking for some input...

Dress%20Blue%20White.jpg

First, I would like to say THANK YOU for your service to our Country! And belated congratulations on your marriage!

And yes, our son-in-law is a Commander in the U.S. Navy and when he cruises he always wears his Mess Dress on formal nights. The first time he cruised he was a little hesitant but he did go ahead and wear it. And so he has worn it on other cruises. He and our daughter attend the Navy Ball each year and last year they were also invited to the Marine Corp Birthday Ball, which they enjoyed very much (until someone pulled the fire alarm :eek:) Could not have been a Marine!

I wish you and your wife a GREAT cruise!!! May I ask where you are stationed at this time?

Again, thank you!

I'm sorry you experienced the "looks" from some people. The last time I wore my uniform publicly was January, 1973 after I got out of rehab in a military hospital in California (I wouldn't have made it that far had it not been for some pretty good medics, by the way). I was verbally abused and spat upon at the airport. I thought people had moved on from those days. These days I think, in most cases, military members are pretty well appreciated. I really believe that you would generally receive positive responses, even on Carnival, if you were to cruise again and elect to wear military dress. I am a life member of the DAV, however, and never feel comfortable when people overdo the admiration of the armed services but do appreciate the respect given these days that my generation never got. I joined the military and volunteered to go to Viet Nam because it was my duty. What really makes me feel uncomfortable is when people call all GIs heroes. Heroes are people who have done special things. Serving is not special; just duty. Most GIs I have ever known feel the same way. Now I’ll shut up. I hope to see you on a future cruise. I’ll always be happy to share a drink with a medic.

I would like to thank ALL of YOU that served and serve our Country by serving in our Military - I apologize if ANY fool EVER made you feel uncomfortable in ANY way while you were wearing the uniform of the finest Country on this earth! Forgive them for they know not what they are doing.

YOU that serve and have served are the bravest men and women in this Country. My son-in-law is a Commander and an aviator in the U.S. Navy. I have heard him say to people that "thank" him, "Thank you, but we do not do this for thanks, we do this because it is our job. It is what you, the taxpayer pays me to do. So I owe you, the taxpayer, to do this job the very best that I can."

I was so very immature and unworldly when I was the right age to help in Vietnam. I wish I had understood the world better I would have lived my life better. My brothers, they were both older than I, stayed in college so that they would not get drafted.

I pray that any of you that would choose to wear your formal uniform on a Formal Night on a Cruise Ship will do so with PRIDE! If anyone would ever say anything negative just tell them "it is OK that they feel that way because there are many American's that are praying for their souls too!"

Carnival and NCL do not really have a "FORMAL NIGHT"

Try CELEBRITY!

what a wonderful idea, the military uniform is perfectly appropriate to wear for a formal evening.

This is not related, but when I went to my senior prom (over 20 years ago) my date wore his military uniform instead of a tux and I treasure that photo to this day.

It will make for wonderful photographs and memories as well.

Since this is a belated honeymoon, you might want to consider some advanced planning regarding stuff like cabin decorations or wine or champagne at your table. Those things make an anniversary/honeymoon extra special. Maybe talking with your cruise director or maitre'd might help..

I hope you enjoy yourselves.

Cruisin' Susan

What really makes me feel uncomfortable is when people call all GIs heroes. Heroes are people who have done special things. Serving is not special; just duty. Most GIs I have ever known feel the same way. Now I’ll shut up. I hope to see you on a future cruise. I’ll always be happy to share a drink with a medic.

My Soldiers and I that have been deployed and experienced the "fire battles" with the enemy and know EXACTLY what you are talking about. I tell people all the time I am not a hero, I'm just doing my job (both as a Soldier and a medic). While there have been numerous Soldiers whom I've kept alive on the battlefield, as well as my medics keeping Soldiers alive, we aren't hero's...we're just doing our job in the Army and serving our country proudly...just like you did :)

My Soldiers and I that have been deployed and experienced the "fire battles" with the enemy and know EXACTLY what you are talking about. I tell people all the time I am not a hero, I'm just doing my job (both as a Soldier and a medic). While there have been numerous Soldiers whom I've kept alive on the battlefield, as well as my medics keeping Soldiers alive, we aren't hero's...we're just doing our job in the Army and serving our country proudly...just like you did :)

A military members humility is surpassed only by their devotion to duty. Sgt M you are a hero in that not everyone can wear that uniform and perform that function. The service provided to our country for the defense of our allies and ourselves is the highest honor anyone can achieve. As Larry L said he was spat on. We haven't endured that. Apparently people are trying to right the wrongs that were done to the Vietnam vets. Perhaps the pendulum has swung too far to the other side. Be that as it may, the uniform is getting it's due respect. People are finally realizing the sacrifice. So get used to being called a hero and just say, graciously, thank you for supporting us. And remember we are a fickle people; it's a short trip from hero to zero.

To the wife who hates the Marine wife being the toughest job bumber sticker. You also are highly valued in our nation. While your husband (or wife depending on how is the member) is deployed, you actually perform double duty. We recognize this and we appreciate what you go through. Thank you for your supporting role to our country.

Mike

ITC USN (Ret)

• 2 months later...

To the OP and all of the others who are serving and have served (along with the significant others and families) - thank you for all of the sacrifices you have made. My boyfriend recently returned home from a deployement to Iraq. He is Air Force and he is going to wear his blues on one of the formal nights on our Carnival cruise next week.

Just from a different perspective (the significant other!) although I'm worried my boyfriend will be slightly uncomfortable with any attention from strangers, for me, I'm excited to see him getting the appreciation he so deserves. I think it's amazing what he and all of you others do for our country. With our first deployment over, and probably more in our future, I've really come to realize what a true sacrifice it is. I think wearing your blues is more than appropriate. You deserve any "thanks" people want to give you! I can't imagine the pride you must feel to do what you do!

Enjoy your cruise!!

Hello,

My DW and I have been on 30 cruises and I have seen some dress uniforms but not a lot. Wear your dress whites! And it is true that passengers will come up to you and your wife and thank you for your service. Some of the ex military will want to talk to you, and others will want to buy you drinks (I would do so).

There is something else about a cruise you should know. All kinds of people go on cruises, with all kinds of opinions and beliefs. You may see Sikhs in turbans, and even a woman in a chador! You may be in a conversation with someone who wants you home with your family and going to church on Sundays where your family has attended since you were little. These are the anti war folks who believe that the USA cannot and should not fight battles all over the world, in places where the idea of freedom is very different than ours. The men and women who serve in the military are really the very best we have.

My point...do not take anything anyone says to you personally. No throwing someone overboard or headbutting! And most likely even though they may hold different opinions on things, they will have great respect for you and your wife.

Don't forget the reason you are going on a cruise, to spend lots of time with your wife under perfect conditions for romance.

Some Good advise to anyone in any walk of life! Do give your cruise line a little call, make sure it is ok with your branch of service and the rules of wearing your uniform, and yes you may look like one of the crew, but do you really care? And if you do see someone in their NATIVE OR RELGIOUS wear, it's not that they are anti war, it's because it most likley is a part of their culture. If we would accept others and they accept us, there might not be a need for war.:cool:

My wife and I are going on our first cruise and it just so happens to be a belated honeymoon. We were not able to do one when we got married due to deployments and other personal agendas. We have been married for several years now and I want this cruise to not be special but one that would be remembered. We go to our Marine Corps Birthday Ball every year so she gets to wear a gown ever year but I thought it would be cool to wear my Marine Corps Dress Whites while on ship for formal night... Any thoughts? Has anyone ever cruised before and seen something like this? I am sure that I am not the first one to do this so I am just looking for some input...

Dress%20Blue%20White.jpg

THANK YOU FOR SERVING OUR COUNTRY!

I don't think it will be a problem, I like seeing men in uniform. But ask about the regulations with your commanding officer or some one who would know, about it first.

Alrana

Just out of curiosity, has anyone seen any females wearing their military uniforms on board? I'm a sailor in the reserves and wasn't planning on it, as I like getting all dressed up and "girlified", but I was just wondering.

The Corps has not had Officer's Dress Whites for over 30 years. Enlisted always wear Blues.

Unless you are substantially older than I, pay heed to the stolen valor laws.

Dress%20Blue%20White.jpg

May people wear their military dress uniform on formal nights. They fit right in. Enjoy your cruise / honeymoon.

Archived