American money accepted?

Is American currency accepted near the pier? We'll probably just be shopping near the pier, taking the double decker bus, and hanging out at the beach.

Thanks!

Yes, the US dollar is widely accepted. If you go deeper into Progreso some of the shops may not, but if you are staying in the main touristy part of town you will have no problem. Just check out the exchange rate before you go, just so you have a ball park idea of what you're doing in case prices are posted in pesos.

This is taken from my post on Roll Call Carnival Fantasy July 11th, when someone asked if they prefer US dollars in Progreso....

Yes, they prefer to get US dollars, because then they are actually getting more money for the purchase. Your $40 USD you just paid them for a 400 peso hammock brings them 536 pesos at Scotiabank this afternoon.

It's you who should prefer to pay in pesos.

Here's the back and forth that occurs at beach restaurants in Progreso with the people off the ship... bill is brought to table, let's say it's 584 pesos... guest says do you take US dollars, waiter says, Of course, we love US dollars, that would be $58 USD. Guest pays his $58 USD and throws down some extra for tip, because the waiter is nice, and heck, he just loves my greenbacks. You just paid the equivalent of 783 pesos, at today's exchange, and you tipped him to boot. Yep, lovin' some American dollars. Another note on the money exchanging thing... remember, with only being in port in Mexico one or two days, this may not be important to you, as the amount of money you are talking about is usually small.

I spend a lot of time in Mexico, and have a home outside of Progreso, so I always am sure to have pesos, but you may not feel it necessary. When my Uncle was visiting me there in February, we went to Progreso and he was buying a guyabera (Cuban styled shirt) for 360 pesos, he didn't have pesos, and the vendor said $36 USD. I asked my Uncle if he wanted to go a couple of blocks over to the bank to exchange some money, at the time banks were selling at 12.8 to 1, because 360 pesos was more like $28 USD. My Uncle said no, it's a great shirt, and it's $36 bucks, that's good enough for me. He thought the $8 difference was insignificant.

After a few days of this, and lots of restaurants who wanted cash instead of credit cards, then he changed his mind and decided to purchase pesos, as he was staying a week; but had he only had that one day, he would not have done so.

Thank you for the exchange information.

For one day, I probably won't worry about it...at most we'll be buying a few souvenirs and some lunch. I figure if I can get out of the port with spending less than $150, I'll be happy.

Archived