How to get to the WalMart in Merida?

Ok, so I am one of those people that likes to look around when in ports, and often stray off the main shopping avenue. I read that there is a Walmart in Merida, but I was wondering how to get there. I can't seem to figure it out!

Do I take a taxi there when I get to Merida, or will the taxi from Progreso take me there?

Are there taxis waiting at Walmart when you are done shopping? Is it possible to walk there from whereever the taxis from Progreso drop you off? I did try to Google Earth it, but since I have never been to Merida, I don't really know if the walk is ok to do.

Finally, is the Mexican Vanilla at Walmart the same as what is sold in the main shopping area that the tourists visit? I do love Mexian Vanilla, but when we last bought in Playa del Carmen, one of the bottles was actually filled with water!:eek: That was not going to help with my baking needs. Would prefer to actually buy sealed Vanilla this time, and thought maybe Walmart would be the place for this.

First. Why take a taxi to Merida for $25 each way and not take the bus for $3.00 pp RT?

Yes you can walk from the historical area but with your port time restraints, I would definitely take a taxi. There's also a very nice McDonalds close to the Walmart. Only one anywhere where my order was delivered to my table. However, I prefer the local food.

The Walmart has an underground parking garage with excalator and your shopping cart locks the wheels when you start down. Neat. Also an outside snack bar.

If you are intent on going to the Walmart while in Merida, you can take a taxi from the Progreso pier. Please know that there are 3 Walmarts in/around Merida, and the closest one to Progreso is off of the Periferico (ring road) at the AltaBrisa exit, about 20 minutes from Progreso. They are not too different from the Walmarts in US, except they are much louder. Your cab will wait while you shop. The Walmart with the underground parking, near the historic district, is about a 25 minute walk.

If you want to do some grocery shopping in a similar experience, closer by the port, have a cab take you to the Bodega Aurera. It is in Progreso, but not in the tourist area. Bodega Aurera is owned by Walmart, but is local in design and flavor, and will let you see how locals shop and what they shop for, while still being somewhat along the Walmart system. They sell local vanilla, as well as local liquor. They do not accept US dollars, but do accept US credit cards.

BTW, Merida has over a million people, so you can find all of the modern amenities that any city has (Starbucks, Home Depot, etc), but the beauty of the city is in it's large historic center, Centro.

Hdawson, I will definitely look into taking the bus; I knew it was an option, I did not realize it was so inexpensive! The one thing I do like about taking a taxi, however, is getting to learn about the area from the person that is driving the taxi, but maybe we might take a taxi in, then the bus back? I suppose I shall see what we do as the time gets closer.

Terry&Mike, I had heard about the Bodega Aurera, but was not aware of the location. If my Spanish is not good at all, will I still be able to make sense of things there? It does sound interesting, and I don't mind changing dollars for pesos here before I leave, but I don't want to be a bother to the people there if I can't understand them nor they me. The Centro of Merida is definitely on my list, no matter what!

Years ago, if I had known I would travel to Mexico so much, I would have learned Spanish! Instead I learned 5 non-Spanish European languages, which doesn't help me much now that travel to Mexico is easier and cheaper than travel to Europe!:o

You will do fine not speaking Spanish, hubby and I don't speak but the bare minimum of Spanish and we get along just fine all over the place, even lost in the middle of no where!

Several taxi drivers speak some english, but not as many out in Progreso as in Merida. You may want to write down on a slip of paper Bodega Aurera and $? Have him write down the fare, as you won't understand what he is telling you back. It will probably be around $3 US dollars to the Bodega. By the way, the Bodega Aurera is near one of my favorite restaurants, about a block away, Restaurant Ramos. It's a thatch roof place with a river view, nice, local - seriously off the tourist path. You are also about 2 blocks from the kayak rental place, La Ria, which is nice as you kayak on the river through the mangroves.

If you take the bus, same thing. Just write down Centro Merida on a piece of paper and show it to the driver, sit near the front, and he'll take care that you get off at the right place.

The people are very kind, and they will help you communicate with hand signals, etc, until you guys reach an understanding.

• 3 weeks later...
You will do fine not speaking Spanish, hubby and I don't speak but the bare minimum of Spanish and we get along just fine all over the place, even lost in the middle of no where!

Several taxi drivers speak some english, but not as many out in Progreso as in Merida. You may want to write down on a slip of paper Bodega Aurera and $? Have him write down the fare, as you won't understand what he is telling you back. It will probably be around $3 US dollars to the Bodega. By the way, the Bodega Aurera is near one of my favorite restaurants, about a block away, Restaurant Ramos. It's a thatch roof place with a river view, nice, local - seriously off the tourist path. You are also about 2 blocks from the kayak rental place, La Ria, which is nice as you kayak on the river through the mangroves.

If you take the bus, same thing. Just write down Centro Merida on a piece of paper and show it to the driver, sit near the front, and he'll take care that you get off at the right place.

The people are very kind, and they will help you communicate with hand signals, etc, until you guys reach an understanding.

We won't be going until December and come to find out the college I work at is a sister campus to a college in Merida!

I really enjoy the info I gleen from this message board.

Beverly

Another option for your vanilla is Superama, an upscale supermarket that has good stuff and is also owned by the fine folks at WalMart. Aurrera in Progreso caters more to the local market and is fine for basic groceries if you are renting a place on the beach and need some milk and corn flakes, but it is nothing special and dont carry a lot of high end items, which real vanilla is due to its price. Local bakeries mostly use artificial vanilla.

And the restaurant off the beaten track is called Remos I believe (as in oars; there is a rowing club practice area there) not Ramos. That might confuse a taxi driver!

Enjoy!

Archived