Why does Carnival charge a gratuity for mini-bar items?

lovesublime

One last attempt to penetrate the cement, then you're on the X list.

When someone spends thousands of dollars on a vacation and then complains, ENDLESSLY, about pennies and/or 'nickel & diming,' What IS the proper terminology for that?

Carnival's mission statement is to steal your pennies,

or life is so terribly unfair! Whatever you prefer.

Finished!

your response, or not, WILL be blocked.

Hmmm, I was going to let it go, but your promise not to leave any more loud shouting (i.e., ALL CAPS) responses was too much to pass up. And why do you shout so much, are you really that angry that people have different perspectives?

And I'm not sure how you're going to block my reply, though. Unless you have supreme control of the posting board!

In any event, I think everyone pretty much agrees that it is fundamentally misleading and borderline dishonest to assess hidden charges. Carnival would get a lot more positive PR if they were more up front with things like that. But I guess that's their prerogative and some people will defend it.

I'm not sure anyone "complained" (let alone "endlessly") about the charge. The original poster made the comment and many others supported it. I've never understood why some people insist that others can only have an opinion if it's the same as theirs. It's that attitude that dragged this thread out to nine pages.

Yes, my point exactly. One coke should have one price. Not one price and another hidden hidden 15% restocking charge that you don't even know is there until you study your bill.

That would conflict with the price charged at the regular bar where there is NO state tipping/restocking charge on the bar menu, eh?

The stateroom menu is clear and concise and not subject to interpretation which is my point, exactly.

Or are you advocating a no tipping policy, period? If so, there are cruise lines for those people.

Yes, my point exactly. One coke should have one price. Not one price and another hidden hidden 15% restocking charge that you don't even know is there until you study your bill.

You apparently missed that bend in the river.

The standard bar menu for those not blessed with a minibar in their stateroom, and ordering from a bar, does not mention a gratuity at all.

If you need proof, I will scan for you, at my basic labor charge ($5000 USD per human minute), plus a 20% service charge, of course. 15% is so passe! I sure you understand that it will have to pre-paid and is non-refundable. This policy had to be enacted because of a few cheapskates. I'm sure you understand.

Cool send me some buffalo steaks....and hold the 15% restoking fee :eek:

Many mental floss farms are there..

As for moving there:

Shipping and handling, extra, and no doubt, in a few minds, excessive. Oh well. CaCa happens.

I wasn't calling any poster stupid and educated one or more that apparently are ignorant when it comes to the term KISS. The stupid in the acronym refers to the person designing the system - not someone using the system.

Neener neener, boo boo

1 coke, 1 price.

And looking at a drink menu I have from my recent Alaska cruise - no where does it mention, in fine print or otherwise, unless encapsulated in some sort of microdot, a 15% gratuity will be added. So the drink menu in the room actually provide MORE information as to what the total charge will be. Not at all misleading, but enlightening.

Neener neener

Directly or indirectly doesn't matter........;)

In regards to no mention of the bar drink menu adding 15%.......it is clearly written in the welcome aboard booklet.......not to mention it is also clearly written on the slip one has to sign in order to receive the drink;)

If someone drinks from the mini bar they don't even have you sign a slip........and it has even been posted they tack it to the wrong persons sign and sail bill........not to mention the many posts, my group included that are charged for mini bar purchase that weren't even made........

If I am thirsty I will use the mini bar and be happy I didn't have to wait for room service. When on a cruise I'm on vacation I expect to spend copious amounts of money. Do I wish there wasn't an extra 15% charged....yes, but I know it will be and so I have no beef!:confused:

Nothing wrong with that......

In regards to no mention of the bar drink menu adding 15%.......it is clearly written in the welcome aboard booklet.......not to mention it is also clearly written on the slip one has to sign in order to receive the drink;)

It is NOT on the bar menu, so you don't necessarily know until you get the bill.

It is clearly on the stateroom menu, so you should know before you get the bill.

I have had spa treatments and other bogus crap including regular bar charges occasionally posted to my account. It happens. It is not limited to minibar charges.

It is NOT on the bar menu, so you don't necessarily know until you get the bill.

It is clearly on the stateroom menu, so you should know before you get the bill.

I have had spa treatments and other bogus crap including regular bar charges occasionally posted to my account. It happens. It is not limited to minibar charges.

Hey I never disputed that it was not in fine print on the mini bar menu;)

I was merely pointing out that when you are served your bar drink it is on your slip you sign.......no sign slip no drink;)

Hey I never disputed that it was not in fine print on the mini bar menu;)

I was merely pointing out that when you are served your bar drink it is on your slip you sign.......no sign slip no drink;)

If you order in the dining room, your slip often doesn't come until long after you drink, drank, drunk. ;)

First I would guess the reason it is left as the price of the soda and then the restocking or gratuity is to make it easier on whoever is ringing up the product at the time. Why should we expect them to have separate inventory items - coke from the room and a coke from the bar. Both cost the same it doesn't matter.

In my opinion it isn't any different than staff at a buffet restaurant on land the expects a tip when you are done. You waited on yourself, got your own food, some even have you get your own drinks. Yet I think most people still leave some sort of tip - why they didn't do anything to help you?????

First I would guess the reason it is left as the price of the soda and then the restocking or gratuity is to make it easier on whoever is ringing up the product at the time. Why should we expect them to have separate inventory items - coke from the room and a coke from the bar. Both cost the same it doesn't matter.

In my opinion it isn't any different than staff at a buffet restaurant on land the expects a tip when you are done. You waited on yourself, got your own food, some even have you get your own drinks. Yet I think most people still leave some sort of tip - why they didn't do anything to help you?????

Why not have separate inventory items.....hotels do.......

I would never tip at a buffet unless the hostess brought my drink.........

Why not have separate inventory items.....hotels do.......

I would never tip at a buffet unless the hostess brought my drink.........

I'm betting that you do not remove the $1.00 of the auto tip that goes to the 'bistro' staff. Isn't that a buffet tip?:D

I'm betting that you do not remove the $1.00 of the auto tip that goes to the 'bistro' staff. Isn't that a buffet tip?:D

LMAO!! Now you are really reachin aren't ya:D

But I do like it when the juice and coffee servers come by every now and then in the buffet.......

LMAO!! Now you are really reachin aren't ya:D

But I do like it when the juice and coffee servers come by every now and then in the buffet.......

What reach? Its a buffet and you are tipping.:confused:

Now if I said that I couldn't say the same for some people, that would be a reach.............................Or would it?:eek::rolleyes::D

Everyone should always read the booklet that comes in their room. You never know when something may be new in it or there could be a charge you were unaware of. I remember on the Splendor there was a girl who called home several times a day who assumed she had no charges because she was using a calling card. You can imagine her shock when she realized she had over $700 in phone charges that she had no idea how she was going to pay it. We were in line at the pursar's desk when she was trying to call and get someone at home to give her a credit card she could use, etc.

I have no problem with the charge, but I don't ever use anything from the minibar or order any sodas as I do not drink coke products. Like I said I even paid for the one my mother drank that went on my S&S account instead of hers. Oddly enough I never even paid attention to the fact the charge had the 15% fee on it, but I would assume that it did. I guess I go with the thinking of onboard purchases will include the 15% gratuity except for I guess souvenir, gift shop type items and I think the photos. But again it goes back to restaurants etc everywhere with tip jars out that don't do anything but take your order. But that tip jar sits next to the register.

The not having multiple inventory items helps for simplicity and helps for less errors in ringing up the stuff.

What reach? Its a buffet and you are tipping.:confused:

Actually we really don't know exactly where that extra dollar a day goes........it doesn't specifically say buffet..... actually it doesn't say buffet at all........so I'm good with that......

What is the tipping policy onboard?spacer.gifService Gratuities

For your convenience, we automatically charge the gratuities for dining and stateroom staff to your onboard Sail & Sign account. The total amount is $10.00 per guest, per day (our recommended guideline) as follows:

$ 3.50 Per Day Stateroom Services

$ 5.50 Per Day Dining Room Services

$ 1.00 Per Day Alternative Services: distributed to other kitchen and hotel service staff

For Cruises-To-Nowhere, gratuities of $10 per guest, per day must be prepaid.

Archived