Legend 6/1/09 Med and Egypt How was it?

Anyone around who went on the 6/1/ Med and Egypt cruise? If so, how was it - weather, cruise in general etc?

My DW and I were supposed to go but had to cancel due to family illness. Thought about you guys the whole time we were sitting home.

Anyone around who went on the 6/1/ Med and Egypt cruise? If so, how was it - weather, cruise in general etc?

My DW and I were supposed to go but had to cancel due to family illness. Thought about you guys the whole time we were sitting home.

Why the thumbs down if you weren't on that cruise?

Why the thumbs down if you weren't on that cruise?

Read what he said ;) He was supposed to be on the cruise but had to cancel.

I'm on this cruise next month and have been dying to hear back from those who were on it - come on guys you promised to tell us :)

How many formal nights did you have? Did you have any parties on deck at night? How was the food?

We did this cruise on the Brilliance in late April, an 11 day itinerary. I imagine the activities will be similar. There were two formal night and one "smart casual" night. There were some deck parties but we didn't attend. We chose long excursions most days. One of the sea days we happened to be on deck for the male sexy legs contest so I bet there is always something going on.

Read what he said ;) He was supposed to be on the cruise but had to cancel.

I'm on this cruise next month and have been dying to hear back from those who were on it - come on guys you promised to tell us :)

How many formal nights did you have? Did you have any parties on deck at night? How was the food?

Hang on you lot, give us a chance to get our breath back. :D

We arrived home late Saturday evening, have been busy washing and sorting house out since. (Eldest son home looking after house and dog).

Anyway. The ship was beautiful and all the crew lovely.

We had 2 forma l nights.

The weather was great after the 1st 2 days. On landing in Rome it was heavy continuous rain and on day2 in Naples it was heavy rain and thunder most of the day. We got soaked going around Hericulanum.

After that though the weather was hot and sunny 100F in Ephesus and Egypt.

The food was OK, better in the Windjammer than the MDR.

We ate in MDR on 3 nights, and apart from the steak on the 1st night we ate there we were not impressed by the food.

The waiter service from our main waiter was excellent, but we had to ask for the wine list on 1st occasion, were not offered it on the 2nd and finally the 3rd time of eating it was produced without asking.

While in the Windjammer, there was always something good to eat and you could mix and match to suit yourself from the food on offer.

We did the My Time Dining and that worked fine, we were sat at a table straight away.

The cabin was lovely but the pillow was very hard, and we kept the big cushions they set up for the daytime to sleep on. Much more comfortable.

Also no intimate incidents with the amorous shower curtains people have mentioned.

You could feel a vibration through the whole ship when she was moving, even up in the Viking Crown Lounge.

Talking of the Viking Crown Lounge, that was one of my main complaints.

We are non-smokers It was a lovely place to sit but as soon as someone came up and started smoking on the other side it drifted straight across and affected my chest. So we got no more than about half an hour at a time sitting up there before having to move.

The sailaway was a bit of a damp squib due to the weather, but they had other party nights that were better when the weather improved. A bit late for us with long excursions with early starts. 2 old ruins wandering around a load of old ruins :D.

The one thing that really let RCI down at the end was the departure procedure. It worked fine, but they wanted us and others who were flying out from Rome on the bus to the airport at 6.15 a.m for an 11.20a.m. flight. We were in Airport by 7.30 and check in didn't open until 8.30a.m

BUT others on the same flight out as us did not leave the ship until 7.30a.m We could have had an extra hour in bed!!

Apart from that we had a fantastic time and the 2nd week really flew by and it came to an end all too quickly.

Berwyn

Berwyn

Thanks for getting back to us so quickly - I wasn't chasing, honest :o

Glad to hear you had a great time and that the weather turned out well in the end. Thanks also for the info about only 2 formal nights - I know they have 3 on some 12-night sailings. Sorry to hear you were disappointed with the MDR food. I have to admit I like RCL but the food does let them down. We're celebrating a special anniversary on our upcoming cruise and are sorry there isn't a speciality restaurant onboard.

Did you see any of the entertainment - any good acts? We sailed on the Splendour a few years ago and saw an excellent motown-style group but were a bit disappointed in the acts on our recent Explorer trip.

Just lost the reply :-(.

I'll try again.

The entertainment in the theatre was good most nights. We missed a couple of nights.

The ones we saw were good. We had a brilliant Elton John tribute act who was just like watching the real thing.

An English Comedian, Duggie Brown who went down well with the British contingent. (Not so sure about the North Americans though). I haven't seen him for years.

WE had a Magician another night who was OK. He went down well with the audience, but when you've been watching magicians at it since the 60's you tend to have seen most of the stuff before.

Also we had a group Called American dream who did stuff from Diana Ross, Drifters, etc.

They were good too.

The entertainment we saw in the bars and public areas was not bad, but one night in the Centrum we had a group from Greece playing music from Greece and the greek Islands and they were fantastic. They had an audience on about 5 decks hanging over the balcony rails watching them.

Also we had a pianist Anthony in the Schooner Bar every evening and we spent a lot of time in there singing along.

The ship's show team were very good also, doing musical numbers in shows.

Berwyn

We kept clear of the disco in the Viking Crown as it gets too loud and I can't cope with the flashing lights.

It was a wonderful trip overall.

Did not realize it was final day for Giro Italia when we got in Rome on 5/31. Too bad not having camera with me to take pictures of the riders when we were walking to Galleria Borghese.

We managed all major Rome sites and major Athens sites. It was too short in Egypt, though it was a long day. We did both private and group tours. Private tours are mostly more effective. But I only have good things to say about our Egypt tour. Our tour in Naples was cut short due to wind condition and missed Amalfi coast viewing, but otherwise Pompeii was impressive along with the thunderstorm. The Greek guides went on strike in Corfu, so our tour was cancelled the night before.

I enjoyed the violinist from UK in the main theatre immensely. It was also always nice live music when I walked through a bar or the centrum.

Not too impressed with the food in general. However, the salad bar set up for lunch in dining room was very good. The headwaiter adored my son. And this is the only cruise that we did not have to take precautionary actions for his food allergy (except for one soup that was delivered and I inspected to be otherwise before it was consumed - so no harm done). (In the past including RCCL, we would view the menu beforehand and/or discuss ingredients. I was told not to worry this time when I first talked to one of the headwaiters on the first night, not the headwaiter visited our table every night though.)

My son got to talk to captain and he was very excited about that. He also remembers Bill the cruise director as he got couple nice conversations with him.

The highlight on the ship for me was the wonderful staff of Adventure Ocean. It makes total sense they got those best program award on this ship. It is night and day for my eight-year-old comparing his kids' club experience on Liberty OTS and Legend OTS. He was engaged and encouraged and was able to act like a normal boy and yet "go crazy with Crazy Kelly". And the picture he and Kelly had while disembarking is just priceless.

We docked next to Independence of the Seas on the last day. We now so look forward to our Oasis trip next year.

RCCl web site now tells me I don't have this cruise under my belt at all -- may be their computer is working on it :-)

Thanks for the replies so far. Sounds like it was a good trip in general except for some food issues.

I did think the symbol I posted looks like a question mark.

Can't wait ot hear more about your adventures.

Thanks for telling us about Legend! Only about 6 more weeks before it is our turn to spend some time on her!

Can any of you remember the drink prices (price for a beer, some standard drinks/cocktails etc)? And could you get food from somewhere when Windjamer wasn't open?

Arlendius

Archived