Travel fins for snorkelling???

lvcruzers

Has anyone used the short travel fins for snorkelling? Are they worth the extra weight in your suitcase? I assume that you don't travel as far or as fast with the short ones but are they sufficient?

Thanks for any info you have about them.

Tona*

When are you going on your cruise? We are going in just under two weeks and we have one of each - I have the larger diving fins and my wife as the smaller snorkel fins.

My Fins

MAR20166-2T.jpg

Her Fins

EDG0016-2T.jpg

Since we are carrying both, the extra weight is a non issue. We can give you a "review" of how they perform. Depending on how much time we spend snorkeling, and when she is finished and wants to layout on the beach, I might try her fins so I can compare them both for you.

Has anyone used the short travel fins for snorkelling? Are they worth the extra weight in your suitcase? I assume that you don't travel as far or as fast with the short ones but are they sufficient?

Thanks for any info you have about them.

Tona*

I took the shorties on my last S. Caribbean cruise. They functioned just as well as standard length. Of course, they might be a problem if there's a strong drift current.

In that event, I'd ptobably use the operator's fins.

"Standard" length fins are not a weight problem. MIne are less than three pounds, but they do take up a lot of luggage space; thus, the shorties.

I especially like the adjustable heel strap on U.S. Divers:

http://www.isnorkel.com/product-exec/category_id/213/product_id/4573/nm/US-Divers-Shredder-II-fin

Thanks for the info.! And the website.

I would welcome a review after you get back, jhmoore143. We aren't crusin' until Nov. The fins I've been looking at look just like your wifes.

I'm also concerned about the added space. We are going on our 1st B2B & I'm trying to limit my "extra" space & weight. I have never used adjustable straps on my fins so I'm glad to know that you like them, Stevesan.

Thanks again.

Have a great cruise jhmoore143.

Tona*

We have the shorter ones and love them!, as you know, when snorkeling you really just kinda splash around and these are so easy to maneuver around in on the boat and ashore. Didn't have any trouble keeping up at all with the group.

Ours are US Diver TREKS

We tried the travel fins on our last cruise and found them to work just fine. We are "novice" snorkelers - I'm not sure whether those with more experience or who want to do more "serious" snorkeling would be pleased. We liked that they took up less room, although they seemed to be just as heavy!

• 2 weeks later...

I never got to try my wife's fins because I was just beat when we were done. We snorkeled for a little over an hour and I went the entire perimeter of the snorkel area and then out into the deeper water. It was a great time.

My fins worked great for me, but then again, I have powerful legs and was propelling myself through the water with no issues what so ever. I didn't realize how fast I was moving until I would look back and I was 50 - 75 yards from where I started only a few seconds prior. My wife liked hers, but she feels she had a better pair when we did the discover scuba back in February. She had a little bigger, split fins for that.

The best thing to do is call around to your local dive shops and see if any have their own pool and will let you try them out. Our dive shop does this - in fact, they encourage it. Our dive instructors will also help those that are going snorkeling but have never snorkeled before. This is a really good group of people and a good shop.

I will say it was very difficult to snorkel in Cococay unless your were a good 100 yards from the coast. There is a lot of rock and grass area and the water isnt much more than 2 or 3 feet deep. I stumbled a few times trying to stand up there.

But, once you get out to the life guard towers, you are in about 8 - 12 feet of water and it is much better. If you stay out near the rope line (separating you from the snorkel area and the jetski area) you should be fine. If you are adventurous, go out to the left side of the jetties where the water drops to about 30 - 40 feet. It is much bluer, a little colder but very pretty out there. The shelf drops down almost immediately, and there is definitely no standing up there. I was able to see a southern stingray swimming about 20 feet below me. If we go again, I will probably spend all my time in this area. Then again, I am getting scuba certified next week so I might even dive this area. . .

For the most part we've stopped carrying fins around with us whenever our snorkeling is planned for beaches that rent and/or excursions and day sail trips that provide fins. It is just too much to lug around and the local fins do just fine. Where we are not sure if fins will be available we've bought a pair of US Diver Shredder II fins for both of us - these are pretty small and compact. Google the name and you'll find lots of links to places selling them - we bought ours on Amazon. We've found both options work great for us and actually work easier and, for us, more effectively than larger fins. We've worn these on long snorkels in currents - like Palancar Reef in Cozumel - and they've worked great.

Also, we've bought some inexpensive neoprene fin socks which help a lot with fit of fins AND prevent chaffing. These run around $8 to $15 from lots of different online dive equipment sites and are sold under different brands and styles. They are kind of like very thin booties without any soles. They also provide some very minor foot protection when walking on rough surfaces (like across a rocky shoreline when entering the water before you put the fins on).

jhmoore- Thanks for your report. Even thou you didn't try your wife's, you did give me alot of food for thought.

Lismon-Thanks for all the info. I will google the US Diver Shredder II fins & the fin socks. Great tips!

Thanks again

Tona*

I never got to try my wife's fins because I was just beat when we were done. We snorkeled for a little over an hour and I went the entire perimeter of the snorkel area and then out into the deeper water. It was a great time.

My fins worked great for me, but then again, I have powerful legs and was propelling myself through the water with no issues what so ever. I didn't realize how fast I was moving until I would look back and I was 50 - 75 yards from where I started only a few seconds prior. My wife liked hers, but she feels she had a better pair when we did the discover scuba back in February. She had a little bigger, split fins for that.

The best thing to do is call around to your local dive shops and see if any have their own pool and will let you try them out. Our dive shop does this - in fact, they encourage it. Our dive instructors will also help those that are going snorkeling but have never snorkeled before. This is a really good group of people and a good shop.

I will say it was very difficult to snorkel in Cococay unless your were a good 100 yards from the coast. There is a lot of rock and grass area and the water isnt much more than 2 or 3 feet deep. I stumbled a few times trying to stand up there.

But, once you get out to the life guard towers, you are in about 8 - 12 feet of water and it is much better. If you stay out near the rope line (separating you from the snorkel area and the jetski area) you should be fine. If you are adventurous, go out to the left side of the jetties where the water drops to about 30 - 40 feet. It is much bluer, a little colder but very pretty out there. The shelf drops down almost immediately, and there is definitely no standing up there. I was able to see a southern stingray swimming about 20 feet below me. If we go again, I will probably spend all my time in this area. Then again, I am getting scuba certified next week so I might even dive this area. . .

You didn't happen to find a Cressi mask & snorkel at the bottom of the snorkelling lagoon in Coco Cay did you? We were there end of May and I too had trouble standing on the rocks, I thought I'd looped the mask strap over my arm ... I must have missed :eek:. We looked for it forever. I figure one of two things happened , it was carried into the rocks with the current and a crab is now using it as a solarium :p or as soon as our anchor lifted the "staff" doned gear and fished it out themselves.. Someone got a great mask . My DD wasn't thrilled that I lost her prized mask ( she's a certified diver and loaned me her stuff). Oh well lesson learned .

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back from our cruise on Sunday to the western carib. The Trek II travel fins worked out well. I was very pleased with their performance and will definitely continue using them. They were pretty comfortable too. No chafing issues to speak of.

My husband and I are divers and we love Forcefins (lots of reasons, but they are nicer to pack)- but, I would stay away from them for snorkling- the kind of kick required is harder to do near the surface! Just wanted to let you know in case you were looking at those.

Archived