Pisco/San Martin Based Nazca and Ballestas Tours

Bassethound

We will be there on the Pacific Princess over the holidays and need tour recommendations. If I utilize Princess, they say I cannot schedule both but others in old threads here say it is no problem if you schedule them yourself. But I cannot find any tour operator information on Google.:(

We did both, but on successive days as we were on a ground tour. I am not sure which I would choose if I could only do one.

The flight is about an hour, 20 minutes there, 20 minutes to see the various shapes and 20 minutes back to the airport in Ica. We were on Aero Condor. http://www.aerocondor.com.pe

Our aircraft was a 14 seat Cesna. In order for the folks on both sides to see the lines the aircraft snapped from side to side frequently. It was a bit like a roller coaster ride, of which I am not fond. Combine that with the heat and I was glad to be back at the terminal.

[ATTACH]121554[/ATTACH]

The Ballestas Islands were quite enjoyable. This trip is entirely by boat, about 30 minutes out, an hour going around the islands and then a half hour back. You are not allowed to go ashore. There had to be 100's of thousands of birds (some Humboldt penguins amiongst them) and a few thousand sea lions. It was quite amazing and very enjoyable.

[ATTACH]121553[/ATTACH]

We spent a morning on each of these excursions. I am guessing that it would take about an hour to get from Paracas to Ica. While it should be possible I think it would be very tight to do both in a day.

I just went and spoke with Mrs. Bodger. We decided if we could only choose one it would have to be the Nazca lines. They are unique and only can be seen at that location, whereas the wildlife, as wonderful as it was, might be seen at another port.

Good luck,

Bodger

Archived