Too casual to cruise

Lessa11

On a 7 day cruise there are 2 Formal or Not nights but you can bet 70 percent will dress for the occasion.:) The rest will be at the buffet or order room service. :) Just my observation.

We only had one "dress up or not" night on our recent Star cruise to Alaska.

I'll take that bet.

I can ASSURE you that 70% is nowhere NEAR the number who would dress up, and I can TRIPLE ASSURE you that the others will NOT be at the buffet, they'll be dining next to you...since NCL does not have a forced formal night.

I'd heard of rose-colored glasses before....Winnie, in order to make that "observation", you must have tux-colored glasses.

I agree..there were VERY few people wearing true formal wear....dresses, maybe suit jackets, but not one single slinky sparkly gowns did we see on the Star and definately not a Tux in sight....but it was Alaska...so it is much more casual.

Thanks for all the great information, everyone! We never felt we were true "cruise people" because not only do we not enjoy dressing up in formal wear, but we have no use for it in our daily lives and couldn't justify the expense of purchasing it for a vacation. We like beaches and dressing up on a beach vacation just seemed contradictory to us. We tried a short Disney cruise and just didn't like the regimentation either.

When we heard NCL doesn't require formal wear, which meant we wouldn't be exiled to the buffet or room service those nights, and had freestyle dining, we decided to give cruising another try to go to Bermuda. Honestly, that was the draw. We'll use the same tactics we've employed at AI's - we'll wear the same outfit a couple of nights and change immediately afterward - or we'll stay in the slobbier clothes and eat in the places that allow that ... which I'm learning about on this board.

We're booked on the Majesty out of Philadelphia in October and I'm so excited! I'm so glad we'll get to sail on Majesty before the ship leaves the NCL fleet. Thanks to all who provide the tips for and their experiences on both the Majesty and in Bermuda.

By the way, I'm really kind of surprised that Alaska seems to be the most casual of the desinations, as I'd have thought just the opposite. I just may have to do Alaska next!

Archived