Hollywood Sign

robinsra

I saved this thread awhile back now it is time to put my plan together.

One question, at the park is there a place to park or do you park in front of people's houses? Thanks

Best view and area for pictures...

Here is the "dog park", great for pictures, and also there are park benches and things if you want to have a picnic (highly recommended)...

What you want to do is MapBlast or MapQuest (not as good) to...

3203 Canyon Lake Drive CA 90068

This will be right at the bottom of the hill, below the park.

Once you find this, then you just go up the hill a little way, and you get this great park, with great picture opportunities of the Hollywood Sign, and options for picnic tables in the park.

Again, this is a residential area, so be very repectful to the local residents.

CJW;)

O.K I lied about one question I have another Does it make sense to get off cruise ship get to LAX rent car drive to Brea Tar Pits then Hollywood sign then to hotel in North Hollywood? Thanks again

I have another Does it make sense to get off cruise ship get to LAX rent car drive to Brea Tar Pits then Hollywood sign then to hotel in North Hollywood?

I assume you will be docking in either port of Los Angeles at San Pedro or at Port of Long Beach. You can get a rental car closer to the port than LAX.

Are the tar pits/Hollywood/Hollywood sign worth seeing ? We'll NO in my opinion but who am I to tell you what to do. The tar pits look kind of like a little lake (don't fall in though).

If I had but one day in LaLa land I would go to Venice Beach to see all of the California Weird-Os and enjoy the weather. Then you can tell your friends back in Peoria all about it.

Well if you insist on seeing the tar pits then go in the Natural History Museum in Exposition park. They have a number of skeletons of animals/dinosaurs there that were pulled out of the tar pits. Years ago they had some magnificent dinosaur skeletons (a towering Brontosaurus and a Tyranasoarus-Rex) that had been pulled out of the tar pits. It was amazing to see for yourself just how gigantic some of those old dinos were. But as I understand it they no longer have those.

Regarding Hollywood, maybe you'll be discovered by a film producer. This is your chance. :)

I was going to post a photo I took with my phone of the LaBrea tar pits (was chaperoning a group of school kids a few weeks ago at the LA County Museum of Art which is next door), while the kids were resting on the grass. But it turns out I was facing north and not west where the pit is.

If you have limited time in Los Angeles before your flight (and remember you have to be at LAX a certain amount of time before), I would skip this. Instead head up to Third and Fairfax and check out the Farmers Market. After wards drive up Fairfax (that's a major Jewish area and you'll see the famous Cantor's Deli), and then drive up to Hollywood Blvd.

For new people reading this, here is the original thread with pics and directions...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=404640

I saved this thread awhile back now it is time to put my plan together.

One question, at the park is there a place to park or do you park in front of people's houses? Thanks

Hey robinsra!

No you won't be parking in front of people's houses. Just GPS that address to get to the park, that will be at the bottom of the hill.

Once you are there, you will see lots of parking on the street up the hill right at the park. Very few people ever find this spot, so there is never any parking problem.

You can get some awesome pictures (as you saw in that thread) from the top of the hill there.

Also if you look left, you can see the large house at the top of the hill that was owned by Bugsy Siegel and later Madonna.

You will also be able to get the most amazing pictures facing away from the Hollywood Sign of Los Angeles.

This spot is worth it, just for the exclusivity that no one else finds, as well as the double bonus picture spots...

One with the Hollywood Sign directly behind you!

The other facing the other way at the top of the hill, with all of Los Angeles behind you!

O.K I lied about one question I have another Does it make sense to get off cruise ship get to LAX rent car drive to Brea Tar Pits then Hollywood sign then to hotel in North Hollywood? Thanks again

Absolutely! You're going in a perfectly northern direction in that order, so it's all on your way!

Make sure you play this in the car on the way - it's classic!

Stop by the Tar Pits for some great photo opportunities.

8fd53c221c873e6fe0f09627a7931c14.jpg

As a real LA local, you HAVE to also get a picture at one of the Giant Sloths!

You have two choices...

Stand right in front of the left one, and be "hugged" or "attacked" in its arms (depends on your pose and facial expressions)

and/or climb on top and take a "ride" on the one on the right.

f028c4f9aa56d9707225a1f4fbab55ea.jpg

This one is a cool photo op as well...

fc1d99ba05e28977b5cda9a3e9dcad5c.jpg

I tend to have a lot of fun, with lots of little things that most people overlook. Cool photo opportunities, kitchy history, sights and landmarks that you always see on TV or Movies...

That's fun for me, just because everytime you see it for the rest of your life - you kind of "relive" your trip or can say "I was there!"

If you have time and you want, then the museum inside is really cool as well - especially if you are interested in Natural History.

Or just take your pictures by the statues, then hop in the car and head to the Hollywood Sign, for more photos ops!

Everything you are doing makes perfect sense, is on the way on a straightforward roadtrip - so it all sounds great to me.

Enjoy yourself, have fun in the little moments, and let me know if you have any more questions!:D

Are the tar pits/Hollywood/Hollywood sign worth seeing ? We'll NO in my opinion but who am I to tell you what to do. The tar pits look kind of like a little lake (don't fall in though).

That is something very LA, and locals don't realized how interesting is to others. Once while landing at LAX, I pointed the Hollywood sign to my seatmate who had never been to LA and was on transit from Canada going to Australia, there he was taking pictures and telling his companions on other seats, and could hear some other people saying "I see it, I see it":D, and more picture taking, some even with flash. We know that flash and windows don't mix but that is for a different site. :p

If you got to the Hollywood and Highland complex on Hollywood Blvd (near the Chinese Theater), you can get a great view of the sign. I happened upon it when I went with some friends from Australia. You can see it to the right of California Pizza Kitchen.

Archived