Suggestions for Victoria Excursions?

sdca

I am currently signed up ( through HAL ) for the evening orca whale watching trip but have heard some negative comments.

Please share your experiences with HAL excursions in Victoria.

Thanks,

Fred

The "negative" comment, is that these ship tours are shorter than the regular tours offered. So the southern resident pods HAVE to be within a closer range, and they can be spead over hundreds of miles. So, overall, there is a less percentage of sighting.

Third week of May, I spent 3 days out of Victoria with 4 whale watches tentatively booked. I am fortunate to know the vendor and have the ability to get the sighting stats. These trips go out as scheduled, and it is known if the orcas will be seen or not. None of the three pods were seen any of the days I was there. But I also have gone out many times on the boat tours, with excellent experiences. I, thankfully, didn't dump $90ca on the boat tours, with known, no chance of sightings. This isn't an option for ship tours.

The "negative" comment, is that these ship tours are shorter than the regular tours offered. So the southern resident pods HAVE to be within a closer range, and they can be spead over hundreds of miles. So, overall, there is a less percentage of sighting.

Third week of May, I spent 3 days out of Victoria with 4 whale watches tentatively booked. I am fortunate to know the vendor and have the ability to get the sighting stats. These trips go out as scheduled, and it is known if the orcas will be seen or not. None of the three pods were seen any of the days I was there. But I also have gone out many times on the boat tours, with excellent experiences. I, thankfully, didn't dump $90ca on the boat tours, with known, no chance of sightings. This isn't an option for ship tours.

do the tour operators come to dock to pick up people?

Archived