RECENT Cruisers - Shorts in Dining Room

carla1183

I really don't care what others wear but I'm confused I would like to make an informed decision when I pack.

Shorts for men are mentioned in both the Casual Dress Code and the Not permitted list. Which is it? Are shorts allowed or not. Or are only certain types of shorts allowed. Please help me understand this craziness. :confused:

Listen....gym shorts, workout shorts, bummy shorts...NO!! Longer shorts, nice shorts, linen shorts, jean shorts....YES! Bummy t's, tanks, gym shirts, NO...nice t's, collared t's, button downs, YES!!

People make this so tough!!

I really don't mean to add fuel to the fire, but I am curious. For the men who wear shorts, what type of shoes do you wear?

I guess the "hill" people paint their toes and staple leather to the soles of their feet... You know how those "hill" people are....

Interesting point.....let's see what the fashion police have to say about this

What would happen if a transsexual (born male), or a cross-dresser came in a ball gown?

Or a woman in a tux.....

Are the rules gender specific?

I'm wearing a knock off of Max Klinger's "Scarlet O'Hara" gown that he had in M*A*S*H on my next cruise. It's such a nice yellow color it makes all the other guys so jealous! LOL!:D

i never, never answer these threads, but i had a martini and i just feel like "what the hell". First...seriously, do people stand at the entrance and watch 1000 people come into the dining room to see what everyone is wearing....i may have a bit of fashion police in me, but a well groomed man in nice shorts gets the thumbs up from me...yes, some people should not wear shorts. And if you aren't standing at the entrance, how the heck do you know who's wearing shorts? Are you crawling under every table making a diary note? And really, i think it might be frowned on to crawl under the table unless you are 3 or in love. I could give a flying f who wears what. I am there to enjoy my cruise and it's all about me when i'm cruising. Yeah, some people stretch the rules, but i don't know them, don't want to know them, and it sure as hell isn't going to ruin my cruise....can i get an amen???

amen!

Anyone can wear anything they want - dress code or not - and no one cares. Don't bother trying to figure out the "dress code." It isn't enforced as stated, so...just wear what you want. That's what many people do. Others, such as my DH and I, "dress up" because we enjoy it. Since we're from Florida and everyone is so casual here, we like the opportunity to wear some "fancy clothes" once in a while.

And being from Florida I'm sure you drive most of the time to ports. Some folks fly and there are fees for suitcases. Our first cruise I packed ball gowns and my husbands tux all in one suitcase, other stuff in our other suitcases.

Now with luggage fees the ball gowns and tux stay home, I have found other dresses that pack well that are much lighter material, but not everyone can or do.

I think the luggage fees are the biggest reason why we don't "do it to the 9s" anymore, we still dress nicely but not superformal.

Still don't really care what others wear, focused on us.

Carole

As long as people adhere to Carnivals rules, they should be allowed to wear whatever they want. I would love to wear a nice pair of khaki shorts to casual night. Unfortunately, my wife's rules exceed Carnivals and therefore I will be wearing a nice pair of khaki pants, but I won't tuck in my shirt. :p

You were "raised" to dress "appropriately".... in what culture? You do know that different cultures have different styles...

AND unless you have just skimmed this thread Carnival does allow dress shorts in the dining room most nights... so no one is "not following the rules" when wearing them... You seem to have a "special" feeling about yourself and that's fine but don't tell me I am not following the rules... it's a little um.. distasteful!!!! LMAO

haha I'm not talking about "style" of clothing, just a general way to dress when at a nice dinner. And I'm also not about to engage in any sort of argument with you over this. Oh and for the record, you need to relax a little. Stop being so uptight..it's just a discussion. No need to be rude :) I didn't personally attack anyone when I posted my own opinion and I think I deserve the same respect.

Does being 20 have anything to do with you NOT understanding the dress code. Go back to the beginning of this thread and READ the dress code. Dress Shorts ARE allowed in the dining room on Casual nights.

lol not at all I was just assuming that I am younger than most CC members (I think) and that my opinion may be different because of this. In case you missed my second post, I DON'T CARE WHAT PEOPLE WEAR. I just prefer to dress up.

I didn't personally attack anyone when I posted my own opinion and I think I deserve the same respect.

The um... distasteful comment was not "attacking"? Hmmm. At 20 you have a lot of comments about people older than you... you are the one who brought up how you were raised... I guess showing how the rest of us were not raised correctly... Think about that and see who is attacking who... I only repeated what you had said.

I'm not talking about "style" of clothing, just a general way to dress when at a nice dinner

Exactly... "style" can be different and shorts can be very "stylish"... which would be "dressy" for dinner... try going a "formal" dinner in slacks/tux/etc in some parts of Hawaii and you will be laughed out of the place... you should be wearing a lava lavas. The Bahamas uses shorts for all occaisions including formal events, as well as most carib islands. Go to Key West and see how many pants you see on locals....

i would be ok with it as long as his heels matched his purse.

lmao!

i never, never answer these threads, but i had a martini and i just feel like "what the hell". First...seriously, do people stand at the entrance and watch 1000 people come into the dining room to see what everyone is wearing....i may have a bit of fashion police in me, but a well groomed man in nice shorts gets the thumbs up from me...yes, some people should not wear shorts. And if you aren't standing at the entrance, how the heck do you know who's wearing shorts? Are you crawling under every table making a diary note? And really, i think it might be frowned on to crawl under the table unless you are 3 or in love. I could give a flying f who wears what. I am there to enjoy my cruise and it's all about me when i'm cruising. Yeah, some people stretch the rules, but i don't know them, don't want to know them, and it sure as hell isn't going to ruin my cruise....can i get an amen???

amen amen amen

2 weeks ago. We ate in the dining room 6 out of the 7 nights. People had shorts on but they enforced the no tank top rule. On one night I was sent back to change because we were rushing to dinner and I had on a tank top. Our waiter kindly came over and asked that I please leave and return with a shirt with sleeves. No problem.

This is a P-G rated board. I cannot post such information.

Geez--I think I'd rather be dining with the Beverly Hillbillies. At least THEY wore pants and shirts to the dinner table!

I think it's kind of funny you equate wearing of shorts with Hillbilly.

Most restaurants in Florida allow nice shorts-- Ruth's Chris, Morton's, Capital Grill included. Key West has the highest concentration of Zagat rated restaurants in the state-- and every single one allows shorts.

Here the restaurants who demand a dress code tend to be a little stuffy...

I totally agree with 24butterfly...Is it really SUCH a HUGE effort to slide into a pair of pants and wear a decent shirt to dinner? If it is, then that's what the Lido deck cafeteria/pizza bar/pool bar/room service is for !!!!

Nothing worse than trying to enjoy your evening meal while spotting a crude tattoo on some guy's leg 'cause he's wearing pool shorts in the D.R !!!!

ewww

lol

Wow! I'm envious. I wish I had so few things to worry about. On the other hand, I'm glad my sensitivity doesn't prevent me from having fun if things in my travel aren't perfectly "bliss"ful.

It's allowed, but never OK. This is just to accommodate the hill people that are now cruising with the low fares, and they need to eat too.

Wow, how a dress code discussion brings out the "i think I am better than you" in some of us.... :rolleyes:

Carnival. This is our 15th.

My husband doesn't even go ot to dinner at HOME in shorts. He wears PANTS.

I rest on what Mr. Pete says. Guess those are the ones who keep trying to justify wearing shorts.

If your husband does not wear shorts to dinner at home isn't that even more of a reason to wear them on VACATION? :confused:

It is a vacation, and last time I checked Carnival was not a luxury line. If that is what you want I am sure your uppity self can find it. :cool:

We sailed on the Paradise last month. I even stuck my 4-year old son in a blazer over his t-shirt (well, ok, he loves it, but still) because I figured "formal" meant "formal". When we got to dinner on formal night, it was anything but. Lots of shorts, swim trunks, tank tops, etc.

I guess they don't enforce the policy very strictly.

Me and the bride at the last fancy dinner...... Usually just wear

cutoffs and my rebel shirt.

DiningRoom.jpg

I've seen this photo of you before - think your bride was smokin' a cigarette and you were drinkin' a beer! A right fun couple I'd be bettin'! Has the baby 'billy popped out yet?

Archived