Melissa's Crazy Adventure on a Backward Cruise!

Hi Melissa ~ just got back from a business trip and finally got to catch up with this thread. We're sailing on Equinox in January and can't wait. I'll be anxious to hear what you think the differences are between her and Solstice. I hope you have a fabulous time and thanks for sharing with all of us dying to be there with you :).

ENJOY!

Melissa,

You're not really going to be eating dinner during sailaway are you? Seems like strange timing. Hoping to see some pictures of the event PLUS hearing about food at dinner :) I'm positively drooling and in a countdown mode. Thanks again for sharing. Have a great day tomorrow and a good, well deserved sleep tonight.

Pictures? You better believe it! :D

Melissa - two words.... pictures, please?????? :D

Thanks so much for posting all the details. I can't tell you how much I appreciate it as a soon-to-be Equinox traveller. It's great to get some first hand insight to the ship. I will be following your jouney. Travel safely and have fun!

I thought that too -- but the schedule is only a rough estimate and Emilio Perez said it probably won't happen until later (which is why I got a lot of rest last night). Host Anne checked the Meyer Werft Web site (thank you!) and noted that 1 a.m. is the new start time. I'll be up and at 'em, don't worry!

Thanks EVERYONE for the well wishes and "safe travels"; leaving the hotel shortly. The Internet is a bit slow here this morning at the hotel so I apologize if I haven't responded to you personally -- but I appreciate everyone's enthusiasm. Very excited to see the shipyard today. I'll be in touch however possible later. Be patient in case I hit any technical difficulties.

Here we go!

Melissa,

You're not really going to be eating dinner during sailaway are you? Seems like strange timing. Hoping to see some pictures of the event PLUS hearing about food at dinner :) I'm positively drooling and in a countdown mode. Thanks again for sharing. Have a great day tomorrow and a good, well deserved sleep tonight.

Cool ship,

Will look forward to seeing that come into Southampton soon. Definitely be worth going down to get a few shots from Mayflower Park.

07:00 19/07/2009 Celebrity Equinox Intercruises 17:00 23/07/2009 101

07:00 25/07/2009 Celebrity Equinox Intercruises 17:00 25/07/2009 101

07:00 26/07/2009 Celebrity Equinox Intercruises 17:00 26/07/2009 101

07:00 27/07/2009 Celebrity Equinox Intercruises 17:00 27/07/2009 101

07:00 29/07/2009 Celebrity Equinox Intercruises 17:00 29/07/2009 101

07:00 31/07/2009 Celebrity Equinox Intercruises 17:00 31/07/2009 101

Always nice when a new ship comes in. Hoping against hope that Oasis of the Seas might pop in for a short visit.

Scrozuk

Hi Melissa,

Just about the same time zone as you (in the UK 12Noon) think you are probably 1hour ahead of us, so I am watching the web cab live, give me a wave if you can!!

Hanging on to every word your saying and longing for 23rd Oct when we will be onboard, can't wait to see your pictures, Have a wonderful weekend, but watch out you don't arrive before you leave!!

Nancy

Interesting point, Sweetpeajoey, and I'm curious to hear some concrete examples of tweaks that have been made.

I do know the lawn has been an issue from the get-go -- Melissa, would love to hear if there's a new strain of grass (last year when I was there for Solstice conveyance I got obsessively interested about freakin' strains of grass seed, LOL though have forgotten it now).

I'd also like to know if that really gorgeous empty room (between atrium and the bar leads to all the alternative restaurants -- it's black with flowers) on Solstice is there and if it's sporting a different look! And is Celebrity going with the crepe place again? I liked it :)

Carolyn

Oh, I have a question that I forgot to ask in my earlier post....

I know you will already be listing any differences between the Equinox and the Solstice but I want to know whether they identified any problems themselves and made the changes or if they simply listened to complaints or read reviews made online to determine any problems.

It just interests me to know whether Celebrity are a "listening" kinda company or if they get there without the voice of their passengers.

Thanks Melissa, enjoy your early breakfast and your snooze on the bus! :)

Somehow, I'm thinking Melissa's going to be up very, very late! Good thing she's young :)

Carolyn

Hi Melissa !

Thank you for your wonderful updates. I'm enjoying reading about your travels ! I cant wait to hear thoughts about Equinox.

FYI - According to the Meyer-Werft website, Equinox will be departing around 1 AM Papenburg time. If you hear anything different, please let us know, as many of us will be watching on the Meyer-Werft webcam. Please wave to us !!!!!!!!!!

Have a great time..... Wish We Werft there :)

I grew up very close to Dusseldorf and they have wonderful sidewalk restaurants on the main street. May I recommend an ice cream dish which is made with vanilla ice cream, cherry brandy and liquor infused cherries, topped of course with plenty of whipped cream. (it's absolutely wonderful).

Have fun on your adventure...

I'd also like to know if that really gorgeous empty room (between atrium and the bar leads to all the alternative restaurants -- it's black with flowers) on Solstice is there and if it's sporting a different look! And is Celebrity going with the crepe place again? I liked it :)

Carolyn

Hi Carolyn !

Great questions. I was also very fascinated with that area. If you looked closely, there was an ant trail design on the black tiles. On several occasons I'd stand there, and take in the design. I also enjoyed Bistro on Five very much. I've dined there a few times, and I feel it deserves far more credit than it gets.

Hi Melissa !

I'd like to ask a few questions, if you have time to check them out :

1. Have any changes been made to the Closets in the cabins ? I know that many were concerned with the size and layout.

2. Have they added lighting to the Balconies ? Oddly, there were none on Solstice.

3. Has the Hot Glass area been expanded, and have they added Stadium seating ? We've heard rumors this would happen.

4. Is the Main Dining Room's name Silhouette, and are there any visual differences, as compared to Solstice.

Thanks very much in advance !

Hi - following all this with the greatest of interest, as we are on the Maiden Voyage (disputed:D) on the 31st.

I don't quite understand what is happening at the moment. She goes backwards up the river to where? To Amsterdam?:confused::confused: What happens from there?

Is she all fitted out already?

Confused (not unusual:p).

Hey Melissa,

I hope you are having a great time!

I loved the glass blowing show when I was on Solstice. Are any of the guys working onboard yet? When I watched the show, one of the glass blowers (not sure what you call them?!) was saying that it takes a while to get used to working at sea, and the first time new staff join the ship, the always end up smashing glass!

Looking forward to seeing your photos - take some of the gathering crowds on the banks of the river if you can!

Safe travels! :)

Hi - following all this with the greatest of interest, as we are on the Maiden Voyage (disputed:D) on the 31st.

I don't quite understand what is happening at the moment. She goes backwards up the river to where? To Amsterdam?:confused::confused: What happens from there?

Is she all fitted out already?

Confused (not unusual:p).

If you check out Meyerwerft's website at www.meyerwerft.de, there is an article that explains what will be happening and a map depicting the route. Click on the British flag in the top right corner of the webpage to be able to read in english.

Thanks EVERYONE for the well wishes and "safe travels"; leaving the hotel shortly. The Internet is a bit slow here this morning at the hotel so I apologize if I haven't responded to you personally -- but I appreciate everyone's enthusiasm. Very excited to see the shipyard today. I'll be in touch however possible later. Be patient in case I hit any technical difficulties.

Here we go!

Melissa,

You are a "Celebrity" on your own right now. Every one of us on this website is waiting with baited breath for your reviews and first pics of Equinox. Enjoy the limelight while you can!

A big heads up (Melissa’s not sure if she has Internet access yet): She boarded Celebrity Equinox at 4 p.m. The eagle-eyed among you will notice that boarding is several hours late (new schedule below).

Melissa reports that instead of a boxed lunch on the minivan that was expected, the U.S. group wound up joining the U.K. media group at a “cute little café in the middle of Papenburg.” It was a long, long lunch she says, and “all of a sudden we had all this free time and I’m thinking – they’re stalling us.”

Indeed. A potential shipyard tour was canceled and the schedule of events was completely revised. It is as follows:

4 p.m. – boarding

5 p.m. – ship tour

6:30 p.m. – bridge tour

7:30 p.m. – cocktail reception hosted by Celebrity prez Dan Hanrahan

8 p.m. – dinner (not much time for cocktails!)

11 p.m. – conveyance

Midnight - 2 a.m. - snacks!

All food events and meals are being held in the Oceanview, which is the ship's unusually gorgeous-for-buffet-venue lido restaurant.

Melissa says conveyance was originally scheduled for around 1 a.m. and it’s been moved back.

Tomorrow’s the Q&A (9 a.m.) and the ship will dock at Emden, if all goes well, at around 1 p.m. Emden’s a small German seaport on the river Ems (population 50,000 or so). Then it’s back on the bus (or minivan) for another three hour ride, this time to Amsterdam.

Don’t forget to ask any questions about Amsterdam as Melissa’s got a day or so there….

Carolyn

This is excellent, thanks for posting!

Melissa says it's very very windy there so a heads up. Last year I was onboard the Solstice for the conveyance and it was so windy it was postponed -- and we had to debark and go to Amsterdam without having experienced it (it did take place of course, just not with us on it, chronicling the experience).

I remember Sky Travel's Steve Read was the only journalist who was able to stay onboard (Cruise Critic was invited but some of the restrictions -- principaly the fact that there was no guarantee when the ship would leave, could be a week, that there wasn't if I recall Internet or phone access, and that I was expected back at my office on Monday, made me nervous. Oh, but I wanted to do it!

Anyway, long non sequitor. If it's too windy that could impact the conveyance because the river is so narrow and the space is so tight that wind poses a risk.

We'll keep you posted.

Carolyn

If you check out Meyerwerft's website at www.meyerwerft.de, there is an article that explains what will be happening and a map depicting the route. Click on the British flag in the top right corner of the webpage to be able to read in english.

Me too! (re standing in that room, can't remember name, just enjoying). I don't think there's ever been another public room on a cruise ship that's had that effect on me. Curious: on any ship, is there a room that is so beautiful you'd find yourself going out of your way to see it? If so, spill! Tell us the ship and the room....

I do remember on Jewel of the Seas there was one stairwell that had these haunting photos (Netherlands countryside) and I used to make a point to use the stairs there. Actually wrote down photogs name but now can't remember.

Carolyn

Hi Carolyn !

Great questions. I was also very fascinated with that area. If you looked closely, there was an ant trail design on the black tiles. On several occasons I'd stand there, and take in the design. I also enjoyed Bistro on Five very much. I've dined there a few times, and I feel it deserves far more credit than it gets.

Hi Carolyn & Melissa !

Thanks for posting the new schedule. If all goes to plan, that should mean the conveyance will begin around 5 pm (Eastern Time) today. As you said, the winds will no-doubt be a huge factor, so we will have to play it by ear, or... should that be rear, as Equinox is sailing backwards :)

I know that many of us will be watching on the Meyer-Werft webcam (while simultaneously posting on the Cruise Critic boards), though we may have to wait a bit longer than we hoped for. We will see what happens.

Again, thank you for the updates !

Having never been on a conveyance, I have more questions about this cruise ship rite of passage:

Why do they do it at night, in the dark? Wouldn't it be easier in the daylight when they can see where they're going?

How long exactly does the backwards trip take? Is it a couple of hours or all night long?

I, too, am eager for ship photos!

Not sure if you've noticed, but in the last few days, the finer details seem to be getting completed on the ship. From the webcam, you can see that the "awnings" are now placed in the pool area along with the "drapes" that hang down to separate the chairs (not sure what they actually call these things). Also, the large flower pots that light up at night are now placed on the lawn deck. I could see them lit up last night on the cam.

This may have been asked and answered already, but was the x put on the side of the balconies like on soltice? Want to know because it would be across my royal suite and would not make me very happy. Thanks.

Archived