Melissa's Crazy Adventure on a Backward Cruise!

After a long security checkpoint that resembled a rock concert (big rowdy crowd) I'm on the plane and off to Dusseldorf any moment now. As soon as they make me turn off my gadgets, that is! I'll be checking in from the ground but feel free to leave me questions now.

(PS: Thanks to everyone already tuning in!)

Safe travels, happy sails, and we can't wait to hear more!!!

:D

Hi Mel,

Glad you made it Dusseldorf safely...and it's Murphy's Law that something important didn't make it to your "to pack" list. Hopefully converters aren't too expensive.

I'm wondering just how finished the ship is -- does it feel like a full crew is onboard and training for the inaugural season? And what's the difference between cruising the ocean and sailing a river? Are the waters calmer and do you feel less motion? I'm intrigued by river cruises and would like to someday do a Christmas markets cruise. Any signs of upcoming Christmas in July sales where you are in Germany?! ;)

Safe travels!

Kim,

I bought one for 12 euro -- only to return to the hotel and find out it doesn't fit in their recessed outlets. Gah! The front desk loaned me one...

I'll definitely answer your questions about the ship and river sailing tomorrow after we get onboard! As far as Christmas markets, I have to tell you that I picked up a City Guide today at the airport before taking the train into town, and there were pictures of Dusseldorf all lit up for the Christmas markets. Gorgeous! I think that's the time of year I'd come back on a return visit.

More to come!

Hi Mel,

Glad you made it Dusseldorf safely...and it's Murphy's Law that something important didn't make it to your "to pack" list. Hopefully converters aren't too expensive.

I'm wondering just how finished the ship is -- does it feel like a full crew is onboard and training for the inaugural season? And what's the difference between cruising the ocean and sailing a river? Are the waters calmer and do you feel less motion? I'm intrigued by river cruises and would like to someday do a Christmas markets cruise. Any signs of upcoming Christmas in July sales where you are in Germany?! ;)

Safe travels!

Like most cities, Dusseldorf is divided into distinct neighborhoods or areas of interest, the key ones for tourists being the Alstadt (or "Old Town"), Konigsallee (a tree-lined boulevard packed with shops) and Burgplatz (the main square near the river front and promenade with al fresco cafes for a quick beer or schnitzel). These all border one another and can be easily explored on a day-long visit if you come here by river boat -- with the right shoes, that is. I am not sure my sandals were made for walking the many, many miles they walked today.

Outside of these neighborhoods, Dusseldorf could be any city, with tall office buildings and Starbucks around every bend. Entering Alstadt, sidewalk switches to cobblestones shadowed by tall, black streetlamps reminiscent of an older Europe. My heart started to smile ... and then, just around the corner, another Starbucks. It's wild, isn't it? Still, Alstadt was fun to explore. In this square kilometer, there are some 260 restaurants, inns, cafes and pubs (according to the City Guide I grabbed at the airport). For that reason, locals call it the "longest bar in the world." This is where you can sample the hoppy, dark altbier -- a local specialty.

I held out until I reached the Burgplatz and washed down weinerschnitzel and fries with a more summery weizen beer while watching the boats glide by on the river and resting my feet. Fabulous way to spend an afternoon.

I'll post more later, including some pictures (technology permitting!)…

After a day of solo exploration, it's time to get back to business. Tonight is the first work-related function I'll be attending -- a dinner hosted by Celebrity Cruises, with all of the other members of the press who've been brought out to Germany for the conveyance. Cruise writers make up a relatively small niche in journalism and many of us see one another time and time again on events. As avid cruisers, you've probably read pieces by many of the usual suspects.

Here's an interesting fact, though: Most times, I don't know until I arrive who else is on the same trip. It's a little like Russian roulette -- but not in a bad way necessarily -- to show up for a meal or press conference with no clue who you'll be chatting with over the bread basket or between speeches! Tonight at dinner, I'll finally find out who my shipmates will be (and who I'll be sharing an early morning bus ride with tomorrow).

I'll be prying tonight for some more details about tomorrow's event -- a timeline, etc. -- so that I can fill you all in here. Stay tuned for a virtual report from my press dinner. And keep the questions coming.

Speaking of Christmas markets, one of our Cruise Critic colleagues took a markets cruise a couple of years ago and wrote a virtual. Tons of details here: http://www.cruisecritic.com/virtual/virtual.cfm?ID=10. She did admit that the markets got a little bit...repetitive after four or so!

Carolyn

Carolyn Spencer Brown

Editor in Chief

Cruise Critic

Kim,

I bought one for 12 euro -- only to return to the hotel and find out it doesn't fit in their recessed outlets. Gah! The front desk loaned me one...

I'll definitely answer your questions about the ship and river sailing tomorrow after we get onboard! As far as Christmas markets, I have to tell you that I picked up a City Guide today at the airport before taking the train into town, and there were pictures of Dusseldorf all lit up for the Christmas markets. Gorgeous! I think that's the time of year I'd come back on a return visit.

More to come!

Day in Dusseldorf sounds delightful, Melissa. We're sailing on Equinox on Nov 5 so I'm eagerly awaiting your posts. Have a wonderful time...jealous :)

Melissa looking forward to reading your backwards travels on Equinox. Sailed on Solstice in April and fell in love. Waiting to start another love affair with Equinox on our TA in November.

See that several of us booked on the Nov. 5 TA have found our way over to this website.

Melissa - we are all anxiously waiting for more informtion as you move closer to getting on the ship and your time on the Equinox. thanks for keeping us up to date.

MelissaB

I have just read your posts and all I can say is keep them coming... it's very exciting that you are going on a backwards cruise and a bus trip with unknown companions, it's a shame we won't get to read whether you end up with someone you like or not... wouldn't that be awful; having a pleasant chat with someone and then reading on their blog later that you thought they were boring and smelt or something!!!!! :p

It would be interesting to find out if they are still finishing the interior as they are moving... will the ship be fully staffed? I wonder what training they will have to go through.

We have "German markets" in England too at Christmas but visiting the real thing is definitely on my list.

Thanks for the note -- and for the reminder that I should probably change MelissaB to MelissaP now that I'm a married woman :p

For those who were wondering, turns out that I've met most if not all of the folks who were at dinner tonight at some point in the past, at least once. It's a great group. Some real good talkers and the down-to-earth crowd. Tonight was just the U.S. crowd though; tomorrow, we'll be joined by journalists from Europe and I am looking forward to meeting some new people! Dinner was not at all traditionally German -- I had a yellow curry of fish -- but it was outstanding. We did try a white wine that was made from locally grown grapes, however.

Sweetpea, I have to say that my ultimate goal is to find a seat ALONE so I can read or go back to sleep. As for your question about the interiors, I sat across from Emilio Perez, a hospitality architect who joined Celebrity for the launch of Solstice and is now working on Equinox (his title is Manager of New Building & Design).

He says that the ship is very far along and that most things are ahead of schedule or right on track. For instance, there are somewhere in the area of 15,000 (!) inspections that need to be made, and they are more than 30 percent done -- right where they should be at this point if not a little ahead. The shipyard obviously wants to get things done properly and on time, since they don't get their big paycheck until the handover!

More details from the ship tomorrow...

MelissaB

I have just read your posts and all I can say is keep them coming... it's very exciting that you are going on a backwards cruise and a bus trip with unknown companions, it's a shame we won't get to read whether you end up with someone you like or not... wouldn't that be awful; having a pleasant chat with someone and then reading on their blog later that you thought they were boring and smelt or something!!!!! :p

It would be interesting to find out if they are still finishing the interior as they are moving... will the ship be fully staffed? I wonder what training they will have to go through.

We have "German markets" in England too at Christmas but visiting the real thing is definitely on my list.

As I mentioned, I had a great chat with new-build guru Emilio Perez, who works closely with Harri Kulovaara (the top dog of new-builds for Royal Caribbean brands). He cleared up the answer to our question regarding ships that have to be towed backward down the River Ems from the shipyard: Because the river is obviously too narrow for ships to turn around, why don't they just build them facing forward?

A good theory was raised here about the aft propulsion offering more maneuverability, but Perez says that it boils down to common shipbuilding practices. Ships are simply built facing the inside of the dock. The practice is so standard that the software shipyards use is built to those specfications -- and the plan always has the ship parked head first into the dock. The logistical challenges to reverse that plan are too great. In fact, a cruise line HAS tried it! Perez tells us the yard tried to reverse the build plan for an AIDA ship and realized early on that it just wasn't going to work. They ended up having to start over the "right" way.

And, Perez adds that the backward transit -- while complex (and I'll write more about that tomorrow) -- is a tried and true process. I guess it goes back to the old adage "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" ;)

A view from the Konigsallee shopping avenue (lined with gorgeous trees) and the shiny train that got me into town from the airport (no, my German has not improved from taking mass transit).

Funny story I learned about Konigsallee...the boulevard was once called Kastanienallee (which means chestnut avenue). However, that changed in the mid 1800's in honor of King Friedrich Wilhelm IV, who had horse dung flung at him. The street was renamed Konigsallee (which means king's avenue) to make up for the unfortunate incident.

Konigsallee.jpg.27c971a354360be2e451afddbeedcc2f.jpg

s7.jpg.4659216b902b243a52b5d0f544dbca84.jpg

Approaching midnight, Germany time, but before I turn in I wanted to give you all a glance into my packed schedule for tomorrow:

6-9 a.m. - Breakfast at leisure. My "at leisure" will be later rather than earlier.

10 a.m. - We board the bus for the three-hour ride to Papenburg. Joy!

1:30 p.m. - Boarding Equinox! Real joy! (not the sarcastic kind) :)

2 - 4:30 p.m. - Welcome reception and press Q&A -- will blog afterward.

6:30 p.m. - Cocktail reception hosted by cruise line head honcho Dan Hanrahan.

8 p.m. - Dinner.

8:30 p.m. or later, depending on weather - Equinox sets sail down the River Ems.

I'll be popping on to offer insights as often as possible! For those of you in the States, the time difference will work in your favor -- I'll probably be writing about the conveyance just as you're all getting off work or taking mid-afternoon breaks.

Oh, I have a question that I forgot to ask in my earlier post....

I know you will already be listing any differences between the Equinox and the Solstice but I want to know whether they identified any problems themselves and made the changes or if they simply listened to complaints or read reviews made online to determine any problems.

It just interests me to know whether Celebrity are a "listening" kinda company or if they get there without the voice of their passengers.

Thanks Melissa, enjoy your early breakfast and your snooze on the bus! :)

Hello Melissa, Enjoy your time over there if you can. Germany is a beautiful place to visit! Probably my fav place with the exception of Maui of course. If you ever get a chance at some point in your life, get down to Bavaria!

We will be on Equinox with several of our cruise friends in November. We will be on the November 5th Inaugrial Westbound transatlantic cruise!!

Hi Melissa !

Thank you for your wonderful updates. I'm enjoying reading about your travels ! I cant wait to hear thoughts about Equinox.

FYI - According to the Meyer-Werft website, Equinox will be departing around 1 AM Papenburg time. If you hear anything different, please let us know, as many of us will be watching on the Meyer-Werft webcam. Please wave to us !!!!!!!!!!

Have a great time..... Wish We Werft there :)

Approaching midnight, Germany time, but before I turn in I wanted to give you all a glance into my packed schedule for tomorrow:

6-9 a.m. - Breakfast at leisure. My "at leisure" will be later rather than earlier.

10 a.m. - We board the bus for the three-hour ride to Papenburg. Joy!

1:30 p.m. - Boarding Equinox! Real joy! (not the sarcastic kind) :)

2 - 4:30 p.m. - Welcome reception and press Q&A -- will blog afterward.

6:30 p.m. - Cocktail reception hosted by cruise line head honcho Dan Hanrahan.

8 p.m. - Dinner.

8:30 p.m. or later, depending on weather - Equinox sets sail down the River Ems.

I'll be popping on to offer insights as often as possible! For those of you in the States, the time difference will work in your favor -- I'll probably be writing about the conveyance just as you're all getting off work or taking mid-afternoon breaks.

Melissa - two words.... pictures, please?????? :D

Thanks so much for posting all the details. I can't tell you how much I appreciate it as a soon-to-be Equinox traveller. It's great to get some first hand insight to the ship. I will be following your jouney. Travel safely and have fun!

Archived