disgraceful price reductions

Just back from a Baltic Capital cruise with Thomson. Great time but extremely annoyed having booked only 8 weeks prior to departure for the bobby basic room and charged £976 each (yes I know it was a reduction) but 2 weeks before departure it was £634. Disgracefully overpriced to start with as the holiday is not obviously worth anywhere near the original brochure prices. Wrote to Thomson and got a letter back saying basically they could do what they want as they were not breaking any rules - sounds very much like the MP's!!!!!!!!!!! Where are their morals in the present credit crunch.:(

Just back from a Baltic Capital cruise with Thomson. Great time but extremely annoyed having booked only 8 weeks prior to departure for the bobby basic room and charged £976 each (yes I know it was a reduction) but 2 weeks before departure it was £634. Disgracefully overpriced to start with as the holiday is not obviously worth anywhere near the original brochure prices. Wrote to Thomson and got a letter back saying basically they could do what they want as they were not breaking any rules - sounds very much like the MP's!!!!!!!!!!! Where are their morals in the present credit crunch.:(

Apparently you thought the price was good otherwise you wouldn't have booked it. No different than going to a store to see a dress that you just paid more for two weeks ago is now reduced. Happens all the time, hope it didn't ruin your whole trip.:cool:

Prices vary all the time with supply and demand and if there is spare capacity close to the departure date the price will drop to help fill the cabins. Thomsons are not the only cruise line to do this as it is standard business practice.

This happens all the time, you booked 8 weeks prior to departure and you thought you had a good deal, otherwise you wouldn't have booked it! I don't think you will get much sympathy from the forum members as we all book at different times and pay different prices it's the fluidity of the industry, not just common to ships but all travel.

If you are a couple and can travel at really short notice i.e 2 weeks then you would expect the prices to be cheaper, as the tour operator doesn't want to sail 1/2 full, but sometimes it works the other way and the price can rise dramatically if the ship is almost full, its called supply and demand.

If you have to book time off work well in advance, or book a 4 berth because you have children, or want a premium room then you book early and pay what you think is fair.

I hope your cruise was enjoyable and that the service you recieved was good.

Prices vary all the time with supply and demand and if there is spare capacity close to the departure date the price will drop to help fill the cabins. Thomsons are not the only cruise line to do this as it is standard business practice.

Sorry Dave you pipped me to the post!, should have booked in sooner!:D

It happens with all types oh holidays, not just cruises. Closer to the date they are all reduced to fill the holiday or flight seat.

Most times, the later you book the cheaper it is. Dont think I have ever booked any holiday more than six weeks or so in advance.

You have two choices really:

1, If you only have certain dates to go on holiday, or you need free child places or have a specific cruie or holiday in mind, then I suppose you will have to book early to get what you want.

2, If you dont need to go on specific dates, or you have a somewhat open mind as to where you go on your holiday then leave it as late as you dare.

I used to work in the travel industry (not cruising and not Thomsons) and this practice is normal. As others have pointed out, it's actually just the same in other industries. Prices are changed to reflect the demand and the nearer you get to departure, the cheaper you generally find your holiday. It's a risk you have to take; if you are not bothered about when you go, where you go or who you go with then the advice is generally to wait and see what bargains you can get.

Everybody will always find someone on their cruise who has paid less than they have - it's a common moaning point in the bars!

having read some of the other posts on ther areas of these forums it is interesting to note that it seems like the American posters sound happy that their cruise prices are reducing nearer to the time of the cruise.

Reading between the lines I do wonder if they are charged the reduced price and maybe not the price they originally booked at.

Can anyone clarify this? if so it may be more beneficial to us brits to book with an overseas TA.

When to book is always a gamble. I nearly booked a Fjord holiday last autumn for 2009 but decided to wait until last minute and now I can't get a balcony cabin for anything like the £750 per person for a 1 week cruise I was quoted back then. Looking at £1,000+ for most cruise lines now.

By booking late you can get bargains. But in my experience the best cabins will have gone - hard to get balconies at bargain prices and those cabins that are left aren't in ideal positions.

By booking early you get your choice of cabin and have a much longer time to look forward to your holiday.

From my experience of booking cruises it seems to be best to either book very early to get the early bird bargains or as late as you can. It's the bit in the middle that seems to get expensive!

having read some of the other posts on ther areas of these forums it is interesting to note that it seems like the American posters sound happy that their cruise prices are reducing nearer to the time of the cruise.

Reading between the lines I do wonder if they are charged the reduced price and maybe not the price they originally booked at.

Can anyone clarify this? if so it may be more beneficial to us brits to book with an overseas TA.

I understand that many cruise lines will pass on price reductions to people who have already booked at a higher price. This wouldn't happen with package cruises as the price you pay includes things such as flights and transfers as well as the cruise.

If you book a cruise with Royal Caribbean and the price drops because they have late availability, they will either re-imburse you in the form of onboard credit or upgrade you to a much better stateroom. This happened to us on Splendour of the Seas, in May.

I think this is a very fair way of doing it and certainly it keeps their customers happy. It's a pity P&O and Thomson don't do likewise.

Bella36

It works both ways. I am a late booker, sometimes not booking until the day before a cruise. Sometimes I get a great deal, sometimes I miss out and cannot get a couple of cabins and we miss the cruise.

You pay your money and take your chances. Dont forget, Thomson are playing the same "game" and are trying to get the best price also. If you want a specific cabin, to go on a specific date, or a specific cruise, you will always have to book early. If on the other hand you can go at short notice, are not too bothered about the cabin location and even not fussed on a particular itinerary, in my opinion it's best to wait untill the last moment and bag aa bargain if there is one available.

What I do know though, is regardless of the price I pay, I will always think it worthwhile otherwise I would not have paid.

Archived